The Student Room Group

Are the old concepts of love, commitment and relationships dead?

This poll is closed

Are one on one relationships dead?

No one on one relationships are very much alive 81%
Yes one on one relationships are a thing of the past19%
Total votes: 68
With both genders seemingly more at war with eachother today than ever before and with feminism being so rife in the west, do you see the old concepts of love, commitment and relationships in general becoming a thing of the past? The old concept being one on one relationships between one man and one woman. Today we have seen a huge shift towards open relationships and mulitple partners as the genders slowly drift away from commiting to eachother. Do we see this being the future? Is traditional one on one relationships slowly dying and if so do we think it will die out completely in the next decade or less? Personally I see this as a great thing for soceity as a whole and hope this is very much the case. Discuss!

Scroll to see replies

Soooo let's get a good discussion going here, what are your thoughts on this?
They're alive, and something I'd like to settle down with again eventually - but right now I haven't the time, the effort nor the right person, so I'll take the more casual approach
Original post by Alaric III
They're alive, and something I'd like to settle down with again eventually - but right now I haven't the time, the effort nor the right person, so I'll take the more casual approach

I believe in the next decade or more we'll see a huge decrease in one on one relationships as the genders grow further apart from eachother, and a big shift into open relationships or just mulitple sexual partners where the man and women are only in it for sexual reasons. I believe feminism has now taken over and men and womens relations with eachother are at boiling point. I don't see this getting any better rather worse, women are not women in the sense they used to be and more men I know are becoming increasingly tired of women and realise that love and respect is slowly dying between both genders. Heres to a free soceity with no love or commitment, the future is ours! :cool:
I think that marriage is slowly becoming less popular and has been for a while. Women still want marriage more than men do and the gap has been widening I think. With the shift in the relationship styles it has put marriage on the back burner and if people are getting married it isn't till much later in life now from where it was
Original post by scorpion95
I think that marriage is slowly becoming less popular and has been for a while. Women still want marriage more than men do and the gap has been widening I think. With the shift in the relationship styles it has put marriage on the back burner and if people are getting married it isn't till much later in life now from where it was
This is to do with all relationships not just marriage, although I agree with you.
Reply 6
No, they aren't.
Original post by Arkasia
No, they aren't.

They are very much heading in that direction whether you like it or not, just through personal observations and what I read online I see this only increasing in the next decade. I for one find it very refreshing and can't wait until one on one monogamy is finally gone from soceity.
(edited 9 years ago)
I agree. Relations between the genders are at an all-time low and getting worse. Men and women both have unrealistic expecations, and technology is providing better and better ways for men and women to meet their primal needs without each other.

I've come to the sad conclusion that women in the UK are unfit for marriage and that marriage has become a terrible deal for men.

For the elite men, now is a great time to be alive if you just want meaningless sex. For everyone else the current dating culture is terrible.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Reasoner
I believe in the next decade or more we'll see a huge decrease in one on one relationships as the genders grow further apart from eachother, and a big shift into open relationships or just mulitple sexual partners where the man and women are only in it for sexual reasons. I believe feminism has now taken over and men and womens relations with eachother are at boiling point. I don't see this getting any better rather worse, women are not women in the sense they used to be and more men I know are becoming increasingly tired of women and realise that love and respect is slowly dying between both genders.]

I disagree with that entirely - and from my own personal observation that's not the case. Yeah you have a few angry men on the internet being pissed off that women are no longer objects, but myself and many other men don't see it as a negative thing. I think as people become more and more accepting of the future, they'll become more tolerant and accepting of the fact that all men and women are equal regardless of gender, race, sexuality, religion etc.

The natural chemistry of the human mind leans towards monogamy - at least eventually, even if the relationship might not last forever. General consensus is that a healthy, understanding, committed relationship is the most fulfilling (sex isn't even the biggest part) and that's not something that can change simply because there are a few thousand old-fashioned men arguing.

Do I think every relationship you have has to be fully committed or monogamous? No, not if both partners are happy with it. But for most people there will come a point in their lives where they find, at least one person they can settle down with. That point can come at any time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Yes. We all care about sex only. It's quite unfortunate really

Posted from TSR Mobile
The way in which we date and stuff has definitely changed , I mean , I'd never get taken to a dance hall for a date for example . There isn't such a rush to settle down these days either , a woman can work on her career and be single in her thirties without much stigma . Or somd couples don't even choose to have kids at all . It's certainly different than previous decades but I think ultimately , the majority of us will procreate in some capacity just not all in the same way .
Original post by Alaric III
I disagree with that entirely - and from my own personal observation that's not the case. Yeah you have a few angry men on the internet being pissed off that women are no longer objects, but myself and many other men don't see it as a negative thing. I think as people become more and more accepting of the future, they'll become more tolerant and accepting of the fact that all men and women are equal regardless of gender, race, sexuality, religion etc.

The natural chemistry of the human mind leans towards monogamy - at least eventually, even if the relationship might not last forever. General consensus is that a healthy, understanding, committed relationship is the most fulfilling (sex isn't even the biggest part) and that's not something that can change simply because there are a few thousand old-fashioned men arguing.

Do I think every relationship you have has to be fully committed or monogamous? No, not if both partners are happy with it. But for most people there will come a point in their lives where they find, at least one person they can settle down with. That point can come at any time.

A few men? Did you not see the poll on the thread would you marry a feminist? If not I suggest you do that now, it will be a real eye opener for you i'm sure. Also most of my male friends and other guys I have spoke to either hold my view or are heading in that direction when it comes to our views on love and commitment in todays soceity. We're not loving the opposite gender but rather fighting back against them. Once the dust has settled I can't see anyway back to love and commmitment between both sexes, too many bridges have been burned for that to be the case. I personally feel women depend on men more for love and commitment especially if they have children whereas a man has a lot more freedom and is strong enough to stand on his own two feet and isn't really dependant on a woman for anything beyond sex so this new way of living actually benefits men on the whole. It does however provide a nightmare reality for women in the future especially those that want children.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Reasoner
A few men? Did you not see the poll on the thread would you marry a feminist? If not I suggest you do that now, it will be a real eye opener for you i'm sure. Also most of my male friends and other guys I have spoke to either hold my view or are heading in that direction when it comes to our views on love and commitment in todays soceity. We're not loving the opposite gender but rather fighting back against them. Once the dust has settled I can't see anyway back to love and commmitment between both sexes, too many bridges have been burned for that to be the case. I personally feel women depend on men more for love and commitment especially if they have children whereas a man has a lot more freedom and is strong enough to stand on his own two feet and isn't really dependant on a woman for anything beyond sex so this new way of living actually benefits men on the whole. It does however provide a nightmare reality for women in the future especially those that want children.

I'm willing to bet a lot of money that the reason so many men don't want to marry a feminist is because they have the false perception that any woman who stands up for their rights is a misandrist. That's just a falsification in the same way that making a judgement of a whole group on the actions of a minority is always wrong.

Misandry is just as wrong as misogyny and women who hate men should be treated with the same contempt as men who hate women. Feminism is about equal rights (yes, the name focuses on the female, but that's because they need to be raised up to come level with men), nothing more, nothing less. If you can't handle a person wanting to be treated fairly, you're some sorry bastard who probably shouldn't get married in the first place.
Original post by MarriageSucks
I agree. Relations between the genders are at an all-time low and getting worse. Men and women both have unrealistic expecations, and technology is providing better and better ways for men and women to meet their primal needs without each other.

I've come to the sad conclusion that women in the UK are unfit for marriage and that marriage has become a terrible deal for men. I will use British women for sex but not take them seriously for commitment as they have been poisoned by feminism.

For the elite men, now is a great time to be alive if you just want meaningless sex. For everyone else the current dating culture is terrible.

You sir have just hit the nail on the head, most men our age now hold this view as was evident in the poll you made in the would you marry a feminist thread. What it shows is a lot of western women are going to be devoid of any real love or affection as western men either choose to remain single or look to the east for a more suitable partner. It's a shame for western women but it is what it is.
Your point about men and women being 'at war' is honestly ridiculous - if you actually look in the real world there is no evidence for this - the majority of people are straight so it doesn't make any sense to suggest they hate each other. The only place you'll see attitudes like that is in the mouth of MRAs and extreme 'feminists'.
The decline in marriage is most likely due to less cultural pressure, decline in the popularity of religion, more career-oriented people and wider acceptance of non-'traditional' relationships.
TSR drinking game
-Drink for every broad generalisation which is made based on subjective experience.
-Drink for every assumption made without empirical evidence.
-Drink based on people's prejudice and inability to distinguish one woman from another.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Studentppe
TSR drinking game
-Drink for every broad generalisation which is made based on subjective experience.
-Drink for every assumption made without empirical evidence.
-Drink based on people's prejudice and inability to distinguish one woman from another.

Sounds like a party!
Reply 18
I don't think they are dead. But I'm sure they're dying. Commitment is a sucker's game these days.
Original post by spud-cat
Your point about men and women being 'at war' is honestly ridiculous - if you actually look in the real world there is no evidence for this - the majority of people are straight so it doesn't make any sense to suggest they hate each other. The only place you'll see attitudes like that is in the mouth of MRAs and extreme 'feminists'.
The decline in marriage is most likely due to less cultural pressure, decline in the popularity of religion, more career-oriented people and wider acceptance of non-'traditional' relationships.

Being straight has nothing to do with being in a relationship, you can still have sex with the opposite gender without being in a relationship with them. I believe open relationships will be the majority in the future, either that or men that do want to marry will look to the east to find a more suitable partner. Or they'll just remain single. Let's face it most women in the west are not worth marrying anyway and a lot of them will end up like your username, lonely cat owners who went through life fighting against men and coming out with things like "I don't need no man i'm independant" "Women are so oppressed". Those are the types that end up alone, I wish you the best of luck. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending