The Student Room Group

English Coursework Plagiarism? Help

Okay, so last year we did our English language coursework and we had to write a story as part of our coursework. I did really well, I got 18 out of 20 marks.

However, just recently I stumbled across a old fan fiction that I used to read and it was so identical to what I wrote. I think I plagiarised this fan fiction by accident since I used to read it all the time and I loved the plot and story etc that I just used it as my own in my coursework forgetting it wasn't mine. I wouldn't plagiarise on purpose because it would effect my whole GCSE'S and I don't want that because I want to do the very best as I can. But I can't help but worry because my teacher has also said that it was going to be sent off to the exam board since the examiners asked for it. What if I get disqualified? Please help, what should I do? Shall I tell my teacher ASAP?
If it's coursework then you won't get disqualified but you need to tell the teacher asap and ask him/her if you could re-do it some point either in the next few days or if you can come in, in the holidays. It might be an issue when it gets to the examiner but you've still got time.
Reply 2
Original post by neil20143
If it's coursework then you won't get disqualified but you need to tell the teacher asap and ask him/her if you could re-do it some point either in the next few days or if you can come in, in the holidays. It might be an issue when it gets to the examiner but you've still got time.

Thank you..urgh, I just can't believe I made such a big mistake like that. Can't believe it :frown:
Original post by emyx_x
Okay, so last year we did our English language coursework and we had to write a story as part of our coursework. I did really well, I got 18 out of 20 marks.

However, just recently I stumbled across a old fan fiction that I used to read and it was so identical to what I wrote. I think I plagiarised this fan fiction by accident since I used to read it all the time and I loved the plot and story etc that I just used it as my own in my coursework forgetting it wasn't mine. I wouldn't plagiarise on purpose because it would effect my whole GCSE'S and I don't want that because I want to do the very best as I can. But I can't help but worry because my teacher has also said that it was going to be sent off to the exam board since the examiners asked for it. What if I get disqualified? Please help, what should I do? Shall I tell my teacher ASAP?

Well Controlled Assessments does not go to the exam board unless they chose your work (at random) to be moderated. However, it is definitely in your best interest to tell your teacher that you unconsciously plagiarised a creative idea from an already published(?) literature.

Your teacher won't be mad or anything. I think what would happen is, she would ask to see the fan fiction, make comparisons and see whether you need to re-do your CA, or keep it.
Reply 4
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Well Controlled Assessments does not go to the exam board unless they chose your work (at random) to be moderated. However, it is definitely in your best interest to tell your teacher that you unconsciously plagiarised a creative idea from an already published(?) literature.

Your teacher won't be mad or anything. I think what would happen is, she would ask to see the fan fiction, make comparisons and see whether you need to re-do your CA, or keep it.

Whether it was going to the exam board or not (which it is), I would've still told my teacher since I feel guilty knowing it is't my own work even though I did remember the story and kinda paraphrased words and phrases, heck, even paragraphs! I just hope my teacher hasn't sent the CA to the exam board yet so I can re-do it. I don't even care if I get a lower mark, I just don't want to take credit for something I didn't think of myself. But thank you very much
Original post by emyx_x
Whether it was going to the exam board or not (which it is), I would've still told my teacher since I feel guilty knowing it is't my own work even though I did remember the story and kinda paraphrased words and phrases, heck, even paragraphs! I just hope my teacher hasn't sent the CA to the exam board yet so I can re-do it. I don't even care if I get a lower mark, I just don't want to take credit for something I didn't think of myself. But thank you very much

I didn't say you should not tell your teacher. I'm not one for telling people what to do - I said "it's in your best interest".

Even if she has, and you explain the situation, it would be out of your teacher's control and up to the independent exam board. But hopefully it hasn't been sent off. I've never heard of cases such as yours that was, unintentional.

However, can I ask how you did your CA?
Reply 6
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I didn't say you should not tell your teacher. I'm not one for telling people what to do - I said "it's in your best interest".

Even if she has, and you explain the situation, it would be out of your teacher's control and up to the independent exam board. But hopefully it hasn't been sent off. I've never heard of cases such as yours that was, unintentional.

However, can I ask how you did your CA?

In "cases such as yours". Yes, it was unintentional.

We did out CA at school in exam conditions and no help from teachers. We couldn't use books or computers - it was just pen and paper and our minds, of course
are the online plagiarism checkers real ? cause i put my nea through one ( my NEA is 100% mine i haven’t used anything that’s not from my head except quotes +references) but it says in the checker that i’ve plagiarised from this super obscure website that’s an english and spanish suicide helpline???????
Does the aqa look at the sources from which someone apparently plagiarised?
and say if something like that does come up, do they give you a threshold

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending