The Student Room Group

wave function help please

Hi, i would really appreciate help with the 2nd part of the question please. I have solved part a) which works out as 2sin (x + 60).
In part b) i replaced the denominator with my answer from (a), and simplified to : 4/(sin (x + 60)....and confused with how to proceed, as it unlike any examples i have. thanks in advance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by kerrmonster
20150325_204813.jpg

Hi, i would really appreciate help with the 2nd part of the question please. I have solved part a) which works out as 2sin (x + 60).
In part b) i replaced the denominator with my answer from (a), and simplified to : 4/(sin (x + 60)....and confused with how to proceed, as it unlike any examples i have. thanks in advance. 😊

You might want to choose a better title for your thread in future - "wave function" is a phrase used in Quantum Mechanics, so you're probably scaring people off :biggrin:

Anyway, think about where sin(x + 60) has its max and min values, and where these occur, and that should lead you to the desired answer :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by davros
You might want to choose a better title for your thread in future - "wave function" is a phrase used in Quantum Mechanics, so you're probably scaring people off :biggrin:

Anyway, think about where sin(x + 60) has its max and min values, and where these occur, and that should lead you to the desired answer :smile:

I know that sin has a max at 1 and min at -1 ....and i know that the phase angle shift will effect impact on where these occur.....but im still confused becauseof the format its written??

As for the title.....this is name that we are given for the topic...i wouldnt have thought to call it anything else! 😀
Reply 3
Original post by kerrmonster
I know that sin has a max at 1 and min at -1 ....and i know that the phase angle shift will effect impact on where these occur.....but im still confused becauseof the format its written??

As for the title.....this is name that we are given for the topic...i wouldnt have thought to call it anything else! 😀

Well suppose you had h(x) = 8/f(x) for some function f(x). If the max of f(x) was 8 then the minimum of h(x) would be 1; and if the min of f(x) was 2, then the max of h(x) would be 4. Can you see what to do now?

And "trig function" or "finding maximum of trig function" would have encouraged more people to have a look at this question for you, but don't worrry about it - it's not a major criticism! :smile:
Yeah, I came here expecting quantum mechanics! XD

But as to your question, due to the reciprocal nature of the function h, the minima and maxima of the trig function are essentially inverted for the compound function h, simply because, with fractions in general, a lesser denominator results in a greater overall value and vice versa.
Reply 5
Thanks to both of you for the help, i see now...I can't believe i didnt spot that...i had overcomplicated the question and was too busy trying to differentiate to prove a minmum that way!?

Thanks again 😀😁😊

Quick Reply

Latest