The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

I want to go to Coventry but...

After reading about people going missing in Coventry, I just wanted to know how the area is. What are your personal experiences?

I have yet to make my firm and insurance and Coventry seems the most likely candidate.

EDIT: After visiting Coventry Uni, I found the area around the uni (not the actual central city) very pleasing and modern. Had a good look around all the departments, and I have to admit, I was impressed. Compared to what I have read ETC.
(edited 8 years ago)
Why the hell would you want to go to coventry? Its one of the boringest grimmest towns in the uk full of strange people, really most people there are mentally retarted, must be a genetic thing for people there.
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by anywhereanyhow70
Why the hell would you want to go to coventry? Its one of the boringest grimmest towns in the uk full of strange people, really most people there are mentally retarted, must be a genetic thing for people there.

What do you mean? Please explain because I haven't a clue what you mean.
Listen Ive lived in coventry for a long time and its really not a town that has anything happening in it, plus there are a lot of weird people such as alcoholics and racists that like to cause trouble, there is literally no youth in the city its full of old people. You really deserve better, its not just the uni youre going to be there for 3 years
Reply 4
I want to move out and Coventry is my only university that is out of London. My tutor went to Coventry and she said that she liked it. Different people say different things. Did you go to the uni?
Reply 5
You can't really think like that. People go missing all over the country unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'll find terrible areas in any city or town you go to, and the people who've lived there the longest are probably the ones most likely to point out the crap bits than the good bits. That's definitely the case where I live anyway (not Coventry).

Sadly, have to agree with one of the posters above; this kind of thing happens all over. It doesn't make it right, and - if Coventry does have social problems it doesn't excuse them - but it's just true, unfortunately.
Reply 7
Can anyone else shed some light on Coventry University and its city as a whole?
I go to Coventry and the person who said it is full of old people is having a laugh, the city centre is pretty much exclusively students. Cov Uni has 28,000 students, with the average for the country around 15,000 per university. Counter in the Coventry City College which has a lot of over-18 students and students from Warwick who come into Coventry. So there is always loads of students about.

I really like Coventry as a city, yes it might not be to everyone's taste but it is a smallish city and as long as you're within the city ringroad then you're pretty safe as there is CCTV everywhere, plus there are dedicated Cov Uni protection staff who circulate the ringroad 24/7. To be fair the locals all seem to be a little mental (lots of talking to themselves haha) but I have never been in a situation where I have felt unsafe.
Like anywhereanyhow70, I've also lived in Coventry for a long time. I can't say, however, that I've had the problems they apparently seem to have had. Yes, just like every other town or city in the world, there are alcoholics and racist individuals. However, they realistically make up a tiny fraction of the population in my experience. I guess it's who you chose to spend your time around that makes up your view of the city.

Personally, I'm opting for Coventry if I can get the grades I need. For what I want to do, it's a great university. It's one of the better universities based on rankings and it's still climbing. Current students I've spoken to have had nothing but praise for the social aspects. They just seem to provide so much more than a lot of the others I've visited on an academic level. I read somewhere that they're meant to be best for student experience and essay feedback?

Unfortunately, people go missing all over the world every single day. Coventry is generally pretty safe though.
Reply 10
Thanks guys for all your personal insights! You have really boosted my hopes for going to this university.
Original post by Samuel745
What do you mean? Please explain because I haven't a clue what you mean.

I have applied to Coventry and accepted my offer I am really happy with it. The town isn't the best but its all about the university itself and it is really good for my course
Hey there matey, born and raised in Coventry here - so I've seen it all.

Its not a lot different to any other city, there isn't as much culture as there is in other places, and you do see quite a few "undesirables" in town, but being honest, none of this should affect your uni experience. We have a number of clubs in the city centre, depending on your scene, and PLENTY of pubs with cheap drinks and good offers.

There are some places you are recommended to avoid, namely Canley, which is near Warwick uni, Willenhall, which is far east (you wont really go there), Hillfields (just north of town, although the most popular club [Kasbah - formerly colly] is on the outskirts of town where it joins Hillfields, and Wood End, which is in the middle of nowhere.

Apart from that, the rest of Coventry isn't too bad, some people have got it wrong, there are a lot of students and young people in Coventry, closely followed up by middle aged undesirables (who aren't terrible, just not a pretty sight :P) and then old men who are drinking cans of lager outside Starbucks at 10am (they are friendly though :P)

Apart from that we have a couple of big parks which are great (Memorial park, south of town but in walking distance), and Coombe park (to the east near Binley - where I live :biggrin:). Both parks are really nice and relaxed, you will find a lot of people frequent them in sunny days, but you will always be able to find a place in either where you and your mates can sit and relax in peace.

I think the main point I can make is, irrelevant of what the city centre etc is like, your uni experience will not include the undesirable places, you have the choice, and there are plenty of really nice places in town to frequent and generally enjoy aswell as campus etc.

And if i remember correctly, Cov uni are remaking some buildings, so you may get to see/use some of them.

Hope this helped, I have been to various unis/cities from Manchester, to Nottingham, Bristol, Exeter, and Royal Holloway to visit friends and I wouldn't say that Cov is a terrible city in comparison, it is what you make of it I guess :smile:

As I said before, as a student, you are very unlikely to experience any sort of the stuff that happens in Coventry (as well as other places).

If you have any other questions/queries/worries feel free to shout at me - there's not much I don't know about Cov, sadly :tongue:

Best of Luck!
Halo Strangers :v :v . I want t ask how Coventry In summer as well as in winter. empty or crowded people .the weather. the night life ..safety ..etc
Original post by Samuel745
After reading about people going missing in Coventry, I just wanted to know how the area is. What are your personal experiences?

I have yet to make my firm and insurance and Coventry seems the most likely candidate.

EDIT: After visiting Coventry Uni, I found the area around the uni (not the actual central city) very pleasing and modern. Had a good look around all the departments, and I have to admit, I was impressed. Compared to what I have read ETC.

This message is a bit late but I live in Coventry and although it isn't the nicest of cities there is a lot of students due to the two universities so a lot of pubs/clubs open particularly along Gosford street next to Cov uni accommodation for them. It is a cheap city and there are definitely nicer areas to the south west if you're looking to rent. It is easy to get to Birmingham/ Warwick/ Leamington if you're too bored and just recently Coventry university has got given good reviews on the league table (highest ever finish for a polytechnic I think) and it does a growing reputation with some modern buildings being built. As for crime, sometimes it is over exaggerated and you'll find the same things in any large city tbh. As long as you're sensible at night and travel in a group you should be fine as I've ever only had 1/2 incidents and these just involved chavs trying to act hard which isn't anything different from other cities. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 15
Anyone looking for a 4 bed accomodation in Coventry located 140 Allesley Road, we need one more person to join me and 2 of my friends (3 Boys). Already had someone drop out, which is why i need a message back urgently. Let me know if your instrested. The vacant room is a en suite by the way.

£340 a month Including in water, Internet and TV license
Excluding electricity and gas

Need a reply ASAP

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending