The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Predicted A*AA but rejected from St Andrews... why?

Hi I opened an account because I was wondering why I got rejected...

I just got rejected from MA Economics & International Relations and I don't understand why??
I've done shadowing at my local MP office and at E&Y, got gold duke of edinburgh, school prefect, head of amnesty international at my school and bunch of other extra-curriculars/extra reading. My grades aren't bad as well, I got 6A*s and 4As at GCSE and 5 As at AS, predicted A*AA - got offers from LSE, Durham and Edinburgh (rejected from Oxford PPE post interview :P).

Just got the standard rejection template saying that there were other more academically capable students? But A*AA is above their standard offer of AAA so I don't think that's the real reason...

Especially annoyed since I've been waiting for a reply from St Andrews for 6 months and it was my 1st choice (wanted to take Philosophy/History as my 3rd module) :/... should I re-apply next year?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

you got an offer from LSE, don't know why you're complaining :/
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Go LSE. Silly sausage.
Reply 3
Original post by Patrick2810
you got an offer from LSE, don't know why you're complaining :/

Original post by vela1
Go LSE. Silly sausage.

Really happy I got an offer from LSE! Just not 100% sure I want to go there :P, though that could just be the bitterness from my rejection talking lol.
Reply 4
Original post by Lucas_97
Really happy I got an offer from LSE! Just not 100% sure I want to go there :P, though that could just be the bitterness from my rejection talking lol.

What are you thinking career wise?
Maybe your personal statement (or teacher reference) was not exactly what they were looking for. Different universities have slightly different criteria, meaning you may have ticked all the boxes for LSE but not for St Andrew's. (A friend of mine is predicted A*A*A*A and had an excellent personal statement, does lost of extra-curricular activities and did lots of relevant work experience, yet was rejected by Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Cambridge)
You should firm LSE and insure Edinburgh btw.
I was predicted A*A*A* and I have UMS average of 97.5% in my AS Levels, and Durham originally rejected me without giving a reason. It happens, and I'm not entirely pleased about it. Luckily they asked me to re-apply for a different course and gave me an offer for that.

I just got rejected from MA Economics & International Relations and I don't understand why??
I've done shadowing at my local MP office and at E&Y, got gold duke of edinburgh, school prefect, head of amnesty international at my school and bunch of other extra-curriculars/extra reading. My grades aren't bad as well, I got 6A*s and 4As at GCSE and 5 As at AS, predicted A*AA - got offers from LSE, Durham and Edinburgh (rejected from Oxford PPE post interview :P).

Just got the standard rejection template saying that there were other more academically capable students? But A*AA is above their standard offer of AAA so I don't think that's the real reason...

Especially annoyed since I've been waiting for a reply from St Andrews for 6 months and it was my 1st choice (wanted to take Philosophy/History as my 3rd module) :/... should I re-apply next year?

Do you have a God given right to an offer from St Andrews?

Universities reject applicants all the time. Count yourself fortunate that you hold offers from excellent Unis like LSE, Durham and Edinburgh.

What happens if you re-apply next year and don't get in again?
Reply 8
Original post by vela1
What are you thinking career wise?

I'm not sure yet. One of the things that is putting me off LSE is that I've heard people say that everyone (even people taking subjects not related to finance) is obsessed with getting into investment banking and that it gets very lonely living in London.

Original post by noumenon
Unis are random that way, don't overanalyse it.

BTW WE'VE APPLIED TO THE EXACT SAME UNIS. GET YOUR ARSE TO LSE.

If I don't reapply, I was actually thinking of firming Durham and insuring Edinburgh instead lol.. I like the thought of traditions and LSE's conditions are the same as Durham's. Did St Andrews offer you a place?

Original post by JamjamjamT
Do you have a God given right to an offer from St Andrews?

Universities reject applicants all the time. Count yourself fortunate that you hold offers from excellent Unis like LSE, Durham and Edinburgh.

What happens if you re-apply next year and don't get in again?

Of course not! But I thought that since I got offers from the rest of my choices (which are about the same standard as St Andrews) that it would make sense for me to get an offer from St Andrews as well (plus they took ages in deciding my application).

I'm not sure... haha. But I heard St Andrews like applicants who have already achieved the grades. I was also going to retry Oxford if I applied next year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Offer from LSE bruhh
And it seems like a lot of people got a generic email saying there were better candidates. They probably filled in the places before they got to your application and rejected you straight away... Do not worry! You didn't do anything wrong.
dodged a bullet there. st andrews is a pile of ****.

lse >>>>>
Reply 11
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Offer from LSE bruhh
And it seems like a lot of people got a generic email saying there were better candidates. They probably filled in the places before they got to your application and rejected you straight away... Do not worry! You didn't do anything wrong.

I sent in my application in October though haha but thank you for your kind words :smile: I'll speak to my adviser tomorrow morning

Original post by CrapDunGoofed
dodged a bullet there. st andrews is a pile of ****.

lse >>>>>

Is getting an offer from LSE such a big deal? hahaha Most of the people in my year who stood a chance there, got an offer from them.
But thanks for your consolation? :P I quite liked it when I visited there though ahha and didn't like LSE as much.
I sent in my application in October though haha but thank you for your kind words :smile: I'll speak to my adviser tomorrow morning

Is getting an offer from LSE such a big deal? hahaha Most of the people in my year who stood a chance there, got an offer from them.
But thanks for your consolation? :P I quite liked it when I visited there though ahha and didn't like LSE as much.
lse has a 7% acceptance rate.... i think. good uni. definitely worth bragging about

I think they have just got a bit up themselves since Prince William went there. I'd contact them again and say that you have more than what they are asking for so you don't understand their rejection.

What did you get at AS?
I'm not sure yet. One of the things that is putting me off LSE is that I've heard people say that everyone (even people taking subjects not related to finance) is obsessed with getting into investment banking and that it gets very lonely living in London.

If I don't reapply, I was actually thinking of firming Durham and insuring Edinburgh instead lol.. I like the thought of traditions and LSE's conditions are the same as Durham's. Did St Andrews offer you a place?

Of course not! But I thought that since I got offers from the rest of my choices (which are about the same standard as St Andrews) that it would make sense for me to get an offer from St Andrews as well (plus they took ages in deciding my application).

I'm not sure... haha. But I heard St Andrews like applicants who have already achieved the grades. I was also going to retry Oxford if I applied next year.

Are you private school educated?

There is no sense in trying to work out why a Uni rejected you but another Uni gave you an offer. There is also no logic in saying that it would make sense for you to get an offer from a Uni because it is about the same standard as the Unis that have given you an offer.

LSE - you know what the name is and why so many of the students want to get into IB & finance but there are just as many students who are there for the Political Science as well. How can you be lonely in the most populated city in the UK?
I have heard that Durham is the place where privately educated Oxford rejects go - would that put you off? You hear all kinds of things about each Uni but it will be what you make of it.

It is your life mate but there is absolutely no guarantee that Oxford or St Andrews will give you an offer next year either? What happens if the calibre of applicants is even higher next year? Where do you go then?

In saying that, if you feel comfortable going to Durham then that is what you should do. Make a decision, be happy with that decision and stick to it unwaveringly. I would even tell you to firm and insure your choices and reject the other one so you will not be able to think about changing your mind.
Because St Andrews have extremely high standards and they don't believe you hit them?
Reply 17
Original post by CrapDunGoofed
lse has a 7% acceptance rate.... i think. good uni. definitely worth bragging about

Im not going to Uni to brag though.. I ultimately want to go somewhere where I will be happy
Original post by chem@uni
What did you get at AS?

5 As

Original post by JamjamjamT
Are you private school educated?There is no sense in trying to work out why a Uni rejected you but another Uni gave you an offer. There is also no logic in saying that it would make sense for you to get an offer from a Uni because it is about the same standard as the Unis that have given you an offer.LSE - you know what the name is and why so many of the students want to get into IB & finance but there are just as many students who are there for the Political Science as well. How can you be lonely in the most populated city in the UK?I have heard that Durham is the place where privately educated Oxford rejects go - would that put you off? You hear all kinds of things about each Uni but it will be what you make of it.It is your life mate but there is absolutely no guarantee that Oxford or St Andrews will give you an offer next year either? What happens if the calibre of applicants is even higher next year? Where do you go then?In saying that, if you feel comfortable going to Durham then that is what you should do. Make a decision, be happy with that decision and stick to it unwaveringly. I would even tell you to firm and insure your choices and reject the other one so you will not be able to think about changing your mind.

Yes I go to a private school.

I think I'm going to message some people I know at LSE to ask them more about it. Lonely in the sense that you don't feel part of a community - like you would do at a small university like St Andrews and Durham.
To be honest, I kind of expected all the universities I applied to to be filled with Oxbridge rejects so I don't mind. Durham is a great university nevertheless.
Obviously I'll have to greatly reconsider reapplying.

Thank you all your input! I appreciate it.
Go to LSE, it's far better IMO!

Anyway to try and answer why you *may* have got rejected - this is only my opinion:

I was wondering why I got rejected...

I've done shadowing at my local MP office and at E&Y

Anyone can do this, it's a nice touch but is definitely not going to get you an offer/compensate for other things

got gold duke of edinburgh

Useless when applying to uni

school prefect

head of amnesty international at my school

and bunch of other extra-curriculars/extra reading

Useless when applying to uni/same as shadowing

My grades aren't bad as well, I got 6A*s and 4As at GCSE and 5 As at AS,

Congratulations! :smile: for many universities these would be considered very good but at the more prestigious ones this isn't really anything special unfortunately.

predicted A*AA - got offers from LSE, Durham and Edinburgh (rejected from Oxford PPE post interview :P).

Congratulations again :smile: Predictions aren't really that important to be honest, I know people that have got 4 Bs/Cs at AS and been predicted 3A*s - basically the admissions tutors will know that actually these *could* be completely made up and unrealistic, even if in your situation they may be entirely achievable as I'm sure they are. Anyway, they're likely to be taken with a large pinch of salt.

Go to LSE, I'd be absolutely delighted with an offer from there!

Not to be rude or anything, but Economics and especially, International Relations are some of the most competitive courses in St Andrews. Successful applicants usually achieve grades much higher than the asking rate:

A successful IR applicant would usually have the same entry tariff as a Politics student from LSE, so about A*A*A*aa at A Level.

Good luck with wherever you go :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending