The Student Room Group

Steps to becoming a psychologist

I'm in year 12 and my favourite subject is psychology. I love it so much and find it so interesting. I really want a career in something which is always changing and I could also help people. I'm interested in clinical psychology and I want to know what I would have to do to get into this profession. I know that i'll need to a degree in psychology, but what do I do after that? Also is there any sort of work experience you can get in psychology? Thank you so much for the help!!!
Original post by LittleMissyMe.x
I'm in year 12 and my favourite subject is psychology. I love it so much and find it so interesting. I really want a career in something which is always changing and I could also help people. I'm interested in clinical psychology and I want to know what I would have to do to get into this profession. I know that i'll need to a degree in psychology, but what do I do after that? Also is there any sort of work experience you can get in psychology? Thank you so much for the help!!!

http://www.bps.org.uk/careers-in-psychology has lots of infomation
Hi,

I am on my 2nd year of my Psychology degree. To become a Psychologist you will need at least a 2.1 in your undergraduate degree.

After this it is recommended (but not essential) that you take a masters in clinical psychology to better your chances in getting into a Phd in clinical Psychology.

You will also need ALOT of experience in a care setting, paid or voluntary e.g. care home.

So long story short :

Bsc Psychology - 3 years
MSc In Clinical Psychology - 1 - 2 years
Phd In Clinical Psychology. - 3 years

Also be aware that you may not gain entry to MSc or Phd on your first go, alot of people have to keep reapplying each year as this is a VERY competitive field.
Original post by Laurenummy
Hi,

I am on my 2nd year of my Psychology degree. To become a Psychologist you will need at least a 2.1 in your undergraduate degree.

After this it is recommended (but not essential) that you take a masters in clinical psychology to better your chances in getting into a Phd in clinical Psychology.

You will also need ALOT of experience in a care setting, paid or voluntary e.g. care home.

So long story short :

Bsc Psychology - 3 years
MSc In Clinical Psychology - 1 - 2 years
Phd In Clinical Psychology. - 3 years

Also be aware that you may not gain entry to MSc or Phd on your first go, alot of people have to keep reapplying each year as this is a VERY competitive field.

Its called a doctorate (ClinPsyD) - not a PhD (which is a philosophy doctorate...). PhDs are purely research degrees, not clinical.
Original post by iammichealjackson
Its called a doctorate (ClinPsyD) - not a PhD (which is a philosophy doctorate...). PhDs are purely research degrees, not clinical.

My Mistake.

Quick Reply

Latest