The Student Room Group

Woman who poured a 2 litre jug of scalding water over her husband jailed for 4 years

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Juicy J
The sentence is excessive. The legal system is a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This has to be a troll.

The sentence is far too lenient and the judge should be sacked for failure to do proper justice.
Reply 21
Wow, that's just horrendous. Too right he is to divorce a woman capable of that.
Original post by Juicy J
The sentence is excessive. The legal system is a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How is it excessive?
(edited 9 years ago)
Good, 4 years is a fair amount of time for something that horrific.

And married men apparently experienced more domestic abuse than married women (in 2013 at least): https://fullfact.org/factchecks/men_victims_domestic_violence-28872
Original post by pjm600
Probably a plea bargain.

Study here http://www.theguardian.com/society/2010/sep/05/men-victims-domestic-violence

I'd expect the statistics for the UK would be very different.

The Guardian article is from 2010, and says the latest data at that time was from 2008-9. The NHS data is based on info from 2010. Given that the percentage fell from 45% in '07-8 to 38% in '08-9, the figure of 25% in 2010 might suggest a trend of sorts. Quite what could have affected the numbers that dramatically I have no idea.
id she were a man she'd get ten years, and rightly so.
If you google "I beat my husband" into google, there's an NHS page about it, implying you're a victim.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/pages/i-used-to-hit-my-husband.aspx

There is no such page if you type in the same thing if you're a man.

I don't think i even need to comment.
Reply 27
Original post by KingStannis
id she were a man she'd get ten years, and rightly so.

She should get 10 years too though like you said if it was other way round 'pussy pass' is in play

Posted from TSR Mobile
Slightly baffled by the cries of "attempted murder". I mean, yeah it was a disgusting act and I think 4 (well, 2) years is too lenient, but I think it goes way too far to suggest she was actively trying to kill him.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Slightly baffled by the cries of "attempted murder". I mean, yeah it was a disgusting act and I think 4 (well, 2) years is too lenient, but I think it goes way too far to suggest she was actively trying to kill him.

4 years is fine...its not lenient...

The man's face didn't get burnt...All that was burnt was his back and scalp...
Original post by zedeneye1

She won't serve 4 years though, she will probably do half, and that IS too lenient.

Regardless of what parts of him were burnt, he will probably always feel pain there.
She won't serve 4 years though, she will probably do half, and that IS too lenient.

Regardless of what parts of him were burnt, he will probably always feel pain there.

No he won't...

If, by pure chance, his face did get burnt, should the woman be given a harsher punishment for the same crime, based on factors which weren't under her control?
No he won't...

Admittedly I know very little about scarring and pain I was just going on my own experience here with some surgical scars that I have :colondollar: I, perhaps wrongfully, assumed that the tenderness and sometimes pain I get when contact is made with my scars was typical of most deep scarring.
No he won't...

He might potentially, a kid when I was at school had a pan of scalding water/oil (mainly water but an oily dish) fall over his chest, he got pretty bad burns at the time and still quite a few years later he got a painful tingling sensation. Weirdly he had slight scarring from it, but when we went swimming after he left the changing rooms it would raise up quite notably, not sure whether that was a reaction to chlorine or humidity and why that would even occur, but hey ho, can't say I understand how long term nerve damage can impact people all that well.

But I would agree, it's not attempted murder, just like throwing acid in someone's face isn't classed as attempted murder.
If you google "I beat my husband" into google, there's an NHS page about it, implying you're a victim.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/pages/i-used-to-hit-my-husband.aspx

There is no such page if you type in the same thing if you're a man.

I don't think i even need to comment.

WTF is this?

"After the course I was able to say sorry to my husband and that it won't happen again"

"...two years later it did....

BUT I SWEAR IT WON'T THIS TIME.....cos...yeah"

and the gem...

"A key issue for me is sleep, my partner went to bed after me and it woke me up, which left me tired and annoyed....(So I used to punch my husband in the face cos y'know)"

....awww sweetie, it was all cos that mean husband of yours annoyed you, so really it was his fault! Damn men! Daring to go to bed later! MAYBE woman shouldn't assault their male partners but really when a man doesn't respect a woman enough to plan his life around her sleep cycle, he has to expect some sort of punishment right?

It's weird tbh, because I had 90 mins sleep last night (yes, literally) and I then ended up having to do a 7.5hr shift with no breaks in a physical job this morning starting at 5am. So my back aches like **** and I'm tired, got a long day to go as my GF is coming round after work at 6pm and we're going for a meal out sometime after that. Considering how tired I'll be after all this, although I am not one to get annoyed really, I suppose it would be justifiable of me to say...give her an open hand slap across the face, you know if she puts a channel on TV I don't like? Cos...I'm tired you see, just like the poor lady in that article.

Absolute BS.
If, by pure chance, his face did get burnt, should the woman be given a harsher punishment for the same crime, based on factors which weren't under her control?

won't that be two different crimes ?

burning face vs burning back+scalp.

Also, if she wanted, she could have easily thrown the same water on his face, but didn't. Which means she just wanted to pour boiling water on him, but not necassarily on his face.

It was directly in her control where the water went. And it went on to his back for the most part. Where as she could have thrown in directly at his face.
Admittedly I know very little about scarring and pain I was just going on my own experience here with some surgical scars that I have :colondollar: I, perhaps wrongfully, assumed that the tenderness and sometimes pain I get when contact is made with my scars was typical of most deep scarring.

This is not deep scars...

This is sort of like touching a hot iron and burning a finger or something out of the oven etc...Where your skin kind of gets "roasted", but heals in a month or so...Leaving a scar that lasts maybe a year or so, not permanent. I have had many burns from a soldering iron...

The punishment is reasonable. Had it been third degree burns, it would have been a different story....
The sentence seems short to me, however almost all reported sentences for violent assaults in this country seem short to me. I wouldn't be too quick to assume it's because she is a woman.
Reply 39
This is not deep scars...

This is sort of like touching a hot iron and burning a finger or something out of the oven etc...Where your skin kind of gets "roasted", but heals in a month or so...Leaving a scar that lasts maybe a year or so, not permanent. I have had many burns from a soldering iron...

The punishment is reasonable. Had it been third degree burns, it would have been a different story....

I think it's important to remember this is a 65 year-old man, so his skin won't likely heal as well as someone half his age for example. Furthermore, there's more to an attack like this than just the physical scars. I can imagine having 2 litres of boiling water poured over your head would be quite traumatic, and he'll never forget the pain he went through - not only when the water initially scalded him, but the recovery afterwards which he's still in and which is probably very painful for him. His skin would not heal, and hasn't healed, in just a month. That's very wishful thinking. Simple things like having a shower will probably become very uncomfortable and painful for him now as well.

So what I'm really trying to say is that there's more to consider than just the attack itself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending