The Student Room Group

Solent or UCLAN?

I've finally got all my offers! But I can't decide who to go for. I have been to Solent twice and love the area and course. I haven't been to UCLAN yet but it looks beautiful and the course sounds so good. Looked at reviews, UCLAN seems to be the better of the two but Solent is closer (2 hour train.)

Can you guys help me decide. What have you heard about them? If you study there, what is it like?

I'm taking Film Production.

Thank you Loves!

Hatti
Locally solent has a poor reputation but im not into media so maybe thats just local people talking crap.
I can't comment on Solent and as far as I can recall, I've never even heard of it:mad:

As for UCLan. As a current student studying Nursing, although it's a very different course, I hear and see a lot about the arts, and film production within the university. They're constantly posting things in the college magazine, and the SU website about productions, research and events from all different performing arts courses.

For extra-curricular events and things, I'd say it's widely represented within the university and around the city, but as for course content etc. I could not tell you:biggrin:
To add to what rachaelftw has said, I liked UClan as a university as it has everything you could need in the local area, the libraries pretty good and from the couple of times i ve been in the media factory it looks quite high tech.

I also think preston's quite accessible really, i regularly go to manchester/liverpool and theres trains to many major cities.
I go to Uclan and love it. I do forensic science and criminal investigation but I have a friend who does film production and really enjoys it :smile: the campus is good as nothing is too far apart and preston has good transport links and everything you need is within walking distance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Solent has a pretty good film course with some pretty good facilities including a fully working TV studio and production suite.

I didn't do film but I did accidentally walk in to a film lecture once and it seemed quite good.

Solent don't have a great reputation that is true but it is a pretty good film course and I think it is quite respected in the field. Courses at Solent are also quite vocational so you actually do things and don't just learn the theory.

Southampton is a great place to live and being a little closer to home so you can go home at the weekend , which is nice to know while you settle in. There are many clubs and bars jesters is good for a really messy night and I've herd pop world is good (but I think it's a gay bar) but that's only a couple there is also a good shopping area and live music can be found most nights not to mention big bands (like subways for example or frank turner) often play the guildhall I loved my time at Solent male sure you live in halls and you'll have a great time. I know I did.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thank you all for your comments.

I have decided to go to Southampton Solent due to costs of travelling. It would cost be £150 to travel to UCLAN each time but only £35 for Solent. I know it seems silly to pick a University that way but I don't think I would have £150 spare every time I come home for holidays or the odd weekend (if I needed too.) I am more likely to have £35 spare. It is a shame that because of this I have not visited UCLAN but have put it has my second choice. If I turns out I do go to UCLAN instead of Solent then I would speak to them about travel costs - I have spoken to them before about this for open days but did not get a response.

It was a hard choice but I think I made the right one.

Thank you again.
Original post by HattiJay
I've finally got all my offers! But I can't decide who to go for. I have been to Solent twice and love the area and course. I haven't been to UCLAN yet but it looks beautiful and the course sounds so good. Looked at reviews, UCLAN seems to be the better of the two but Solent is closer (2 hour train.)

Can you guys help me decide. What have you heard about them? If you study there, what is it like?

I'm taking Film Production.

Thank you Loves!

Hatti

i know this was 6 years ago, but if you still use this please let me know what the course was like, i have the same problem
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending