The Student Room Group

Current Nurse/Midwife and Student Nurse/Midwife - Ask Me Anything thread masterlist

Scroll to see replies

Hi

I've just firmed my offer for University of Salford for Children and Young People's Nursing, March 2016 intake.
I'm just wondering what finance is like? What is your finance like if that's not too much of a personal question.
I know that you have the NHS Bursary/Grant and Student Finance England. The NHS one is means tested but I'm wondering if Student Finance Maintenance Loan is means tested. I've read that the Maintenance Loan from SFE is non means tested and if living away from home but outside London you get £2324. Is this true or is it means tested? I'm just worrying incase I've done my finance wrong because they never asked for my Mam's details etc.

PLEASE HELP ME
Original post by LynseyMarie1956
Hi

PLEASE HELP ME

Hey!
You're right in what you are saying. If you attend university in England you are entitled to the means tested bursary. As a nursing student you are also entitled to a maintenance loan. The loan is not means tested and you get the basic amount of £2324. This means they don't need your financial details or your parents if you are still dependent.
Most nursing students also work part time to help fund their studies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Hello,
Is there anything I can do to help me get a place on a nursing degree.
I have applied for jobs as a healthcare assistant but I wasn't successful as I have no previous paid experience. I'm doing an access course which is one day per week and I have another year until it is finished. Should I look into doing a city and guilds level two diploma in health and social care? Would this help me in my nursing interview and help me in general for the career path I would like to follow?

Thanks
I would. Continue with your access and try and get voluntary work in a hospital .when I went to my interview there were quiet a few people volentering and they got places
Reply 24
Ok thanks Steph, without sounding like I want to be held by the hand; how do I get volunteer in a hospital? Do I just go to reception and ask or is there a department I should contact?

Thanks
I'm hoping to start a children's nursing degree in September 2016, I just was wanting to know about placement in terms of weekends. I have a part time job which is weekends only and they're not very flexible, I have 11.5 days holiday which i can take so i was wondering if the university tells you in advance when the weekend placements would be so i can book it off in advance. otherwise i'm going to have to get a new job so i have some sort of income. thanks :smile:
Original post by heather1807
I'm hoping to start a children's nursing degree in September 2016, I just was wanting to know about placement in terms of weekends. I have a part time job which is weekends only and they're not very flexible, I have 11.5 days holiday which i can take so i was wondering if the university tells you in advance when the weekend placements would be so i can book it off in advance. otherwise i'm going to have to get a new job so i have some sort of income. thanks :smile:

They nornally tell you reasonably far in advance, however a part time job cannot ever take priority over placement and you have to be available to work a 24/7 shift pattern.

I work on an adhoc basis for my uni, where I choose my hours. This is the kind of job that works best with the demands of the course. Keeping a regular part time job is, unfortunately near impossible. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I hope that helps! there is plenty of other bank/agency work available for student nurses and plenty do work while they're studying :smile:
Yeah I understand that, was just wondering, thank you for the help! What type of jobs can be available then? Sorry for all the questions I'm just intrigued to know I like to be prepared and organised! Also do you get paid whilst training or is that just something I've heard? Thanks so much :smile: x
Original post by heather1807
Yeah I understand that, was just wondering, thank you for the help! What type of jobs can be available then? Sorry for all the questions I'm just intrigued to know I like to be prepared and organised! Also do you get paid whilst training or is that just something I've heard? Thanks so much :smile: x

Most students work as HCAs or Carers on the hospital bank or for a private agency. Some hold down casual work such as bar work. Personally, I'm an exception. I work for the Access Partnership Department of my university, which focuses on widening participation into higher education... Luckily I get to do quite a lot of nursing related stuff with six formers. Your uni may have similar roles, and I would highly recommend this type of work. Excellent experience and often the hours are flexible. Look into it.

You don't get paid while training but you do get funding from the NHS. I have created a website for prospective nursing students: www.getintonursinguk.wordpress.com. If you go to the "Finances" section it should all be explained with relevant links. Other parts of the site may help you too! :smile: Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.

What branch are you going to study? I'm doing child branch. Qualifying in September :smile:
Okay thank you that's really helped me out, I'm hoping to do children's nursing!
O yes just ring the hospital they love volenters 😊
Original post by PaediatricStN
Most students work as HCAs or Carers on the hospital bank or for a private agency. Some hold down casual work such as bar work. Personally, I'm an exception. I work for the Access Partnership Department of my university, which focuses on widening participation into higher education... Luckily I get to do quite a lot of nursing related stuff with six formers. Your uni may have similar roles, and I would highly recommend this type of work. Excellent experience and often the hours are flexible. Look into it.

You don't get paid while training but you do get funding from the NHS. I have created a website for prospective nursing students: www.getintonursinguk.wordpress.com. If you go to the "Finances" section it should all be explained with relevant links. Other parts of the site may help you too! :smile: Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.

What branch are you going to study? I'm doing child branch. Qualifying in September :smile:
how much does the NHS bursary & grant go down by in year 3 of uni?
Reply 32
hi currently in chaos over applying for either Learning disabilities nursing or Adult nursing which one do you believe is more rewarding/fun/ and intersting !! Please Help :smile:
Original post by Shadiya
hi currently in chaos over applying for either Learning disabilities nursing or Adult nursing which one do you believe is more rewarding/fun/ and intersting !! Please Help :smile:

I can't speak for learning disability nursing, but in adult nursing you do have the opportunity to work with various types of people. I've worked with learning disabled, mental health, adolescents and I even did a childrens placement in my second year. I would definitely try to find some voluntary work in both area's to see the up's and down's in both
Hi
My name is Jamie. I am starting adult nursing at Bournemouth in September.
I was just wondering what the on site accommodation was like at Bournemouth hospital or weather it was better to live in halls closer to the university.
Thanks
Jamie xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shadiya

It depends on where you want your career to be.
Personally I would say learning disability as that's the branch I'm studying. Getting through to your patients to educate them and communicate with them is never simply about speaking to them. It's about using drawings, symbols etc to convey a message. Our lectures are based in balloon games and role playing a lot in our tutorials etc to show that those with learning disabilities communicate in a variety of ways.
With learning disability nursing you can work in schools, prisons, acute settings, theatres, recovery, mental health, transition services...the list goes on.
So if you're stuck think about it and get experience. I've worked with people with learning disabilities for 5 years now and I've loved every minute. I've never cried as much leaving a job as I did when I started university as they're amazing people and so were the staff.
I'd honestly say it's the most rewarding, life changing career.
Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ADVICE NEEDED!

I wish to become a midwife or nurse. I am enrolled on a HE Access to Health course due to start in September, however, my arms are quite tattooed...I am basically worried that the tattoos will stop me from getting my dream job. None of them are offensive or rude, just plain designs, none on my hands, neck or face.

Will Uni's or jobs turn me away? :frown:
Original post by amskiicooper
ADVICE NEEDED!

I wish to become a midwife or nurse. I am enrolled on a HE Access to Health course due to start in September, however, my arms are quite tattooed...I am basically worried that the tattoos will stop me from getting my dream job. None of them are offensive or rude, just plain designs, none on my hands, neck or face.

You should be fine, but perhaps wear a long sleeved blouse to uni/job interviews just in case, but they legally shouldn't discriminate at all :smile:

Good luck with your access course!

Joel
Original post by PaediatricStN
You should be fine, but perhaps wear a long sleeved blouse to uni/job interviews just in case, but they legally shouldn't discriminate at all :smile:

Good luck with your access course!

Joel

Thank you so much!!
Original post by amskiicooper
ADVICE NEEDED!

are they people your elbow? you shouldn't have any problem at all really but just bare in mind that tattoos may trigger someone with an mh diagnosis who could already be suffering from hallucinations but if they are very plain its less likely this could happen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending