The Student Room Group

Current Nurse/Midwife and Student Nurse/Midwife - Ask Me Anything thread masterlist

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Advice Needed

I have always wanted to be a midwife and can't imagine myself wanting/doing anything different.
I have already completed an access course which i got 15 distinctions and 5 merits in and i also done 2 and a half years volunteer work in the liverpool womens hospital. However, I never got an interview at any of the universities i applied for.
I am going to be applying again this september to start next september. I was just hoping for some advice as to if theres anything else i could do during this year to better my chances of getting in this time.
Original post by Pink21
Advice Needed

I have always wanted to be a midwife and can't imagine myself wanting/doing anything different.
I have already completed an access course which i got 15 distinctions and 5 merits in and i also done 2 and a half years volunteer work in the liverpool womens hospital. However, I never got an interview at any of the universities i applied for.
I am going to be applying again this september to start next september. I was just hoping for some advice as to if theres anything else i could do during this year to better my chances of getting in this time.

Although getting experience is good, you're awarded points in your personal statement about what you have done; learnt and how you apply this.
The student room has examples of nursing statements (i know not midwifery) which should give you a broad idea of things you may need to mention.
Don't mention your qualifications as such in personal statement as they can see that I n your application already.
Talk about how your experience has helped you in your application & how it will help during the course and show an understanding of what is involved in the course.
Are you able to gain experience anywhere else? Look at trying to do this to strengthen your application further.
Reply 42
Original post by deviant182
Although getting experience is good, you're awarded points in your personal statement about what you have done; learnt and how you apply this.
The student room has examples of nursing statements (i know not midwifery) which should give you a broad idea of things you may need to mention.
Don't mention your qualifications as such in personal statement as they can see that I n your application already.
Talk about how your experience has helped you in your application & how it will help during the course and show an understanding of what is involved in the course.
Are you able to gain experience anywhere else? Look at trying to do this to strengthen your application further.

Yeah I think that is where i went wrong when I done my first personal statement, as i had never done one and didnt have any support when i was writing it. I am going to find some more volunteer work this year while im applying and hopefully i will have a better understanding of what to put into my personal statement.
Thank you for your reply, it was very useful. X
Original post by deviant182

Original post by Pink21
Yeah I think that is where i went wrong when I done my first personal statement, as i had never done one and didnt have any support when i was writing it. I am going to find some more volunteer work this year while im applying and hopefully i will have a better understanding of what to put into my personal statement.
Thank you for your reply, it was very useful. X

There are midwifery personal statement examples here:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Category:Midwifery_Personal_Statements
Reply 44
Original post by claireestelle
There are midwifery personal statement examples here:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Category:Midwifery_Personal_Statements

Thank you x
Reply 45
Hi,

I'm a 22 year old female and I'm about to start an Access To Life Sciences course to apply for Midwifery in September 2016. I was wondering what the best Universities are for Midwifery as some say that they offer the course but I head onto the website and cannot find the course to save my life! What Unis would you recommend as being fantastic for teaching straight Midwifery please?
Original post by Aerith
Hi,

I'm a 22 year old female and I'm about to start an Access To Life Sciences course to apply for Midwifery in September 2016. I was wondering what the best Universities are for Midwifery as some say that they offer the course but I head onto the website and cannot find the course to save my life! What Unis would you recommend as being fantastic for teaching straight Midwifery please?

Hi,
If you are particularly concerned, there are several university league tables available to help compare universities. Do please bear in mind though, that these rankings are only based on certain statistics, and not all of them will be important to you.

As the NMC regulate the content and, to an extent, the structure of nursing and mifwifery degrees, you are likely to find there are many similarities across the universities.

Generally, your university doesn't affect job prospects either. What is worth considering, however, is the population you will be working with. I have trained in a very multi-cultural and deprived area, which has meant I have met challenging and unique situations which I wouldn't have come across elsewhere.

The best way to choose a uni, though, is to visit it. Just because a uni is the best in the country doesnt mean its the best uni for you! Its only by going to open days you'll truly discover whether you can see yourself there or not.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck!
Joel
3rd year children's nursing student
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by PaediatricStN
Hi,
If you are particularly concerned, there are several university league tables available to help compare universities. Do please bear in mind though, that these rankings are only based on certain statistics, and not all of them will be important to you.

As the NMC regulate the content and, to an extent, the structure of nursing and mifwifery degrees, you are likely to find there are many similarities across the universities.

Generally, your university doesn't affect job prospects either. What is worth considering, however, is the population you will be working with. I have trained in a very multi-cultural and deprived area, which has meant I have met challenging and unique situations which I wouldn't have come across elsewhere.

The best way to choose a uni, though, is to visit it. Just because a uni is the best in the country doesnt mean its the best uni for you! Its only by going to open days you'll truly discover whether you can see yourself there or not.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck!
Joel
3rd year children's nursing student

Thanks Joel :smile:

I missed out when my friends all did their open days and University visits so I'm a bit nervous when it comes to choosing a Uni. You make a fantastic point about meeting different challenges and I'm glad that your University choice doesn't affect the job you go for. That's made me feel loads better.

Thanks again!
Original post by Aerith
Thanks Joel :smile:

I missed out when my friends all did their open days and University visits so I'm a bit nervous when it comes to choosing a Uni. You make a fantastic point about meeting different challenges and I'm glad that your University choice doesn't affect the job you go for. That's made me feel loads better.

Thanks again!

Its a shame you missed the open days, though you may be able to arrange an individual visit to some universities and get shown round by a student ambassador. I know its a huge decision, but dont be nervous! Go with a balanced combo of head and heart and you'll be fine.

Glad I was able to help. Best of luck :smile:
Reply 49
Hello I was wondering you all could kindly help me ! I'm trying to apply for university next year to do my nursing degree ! I'm currently about to enrol at college to re sit my English and maths as I didn't get a c grade in anything at school! 😞 I am also going to do human health and physiology alongside this which is a GCSES to! I'm going to aim high ! I currently have BTEC national diploma in health and social care at ppm level which I have been told is equivalent to 160 UCAS points! I'm still so confused some people are telling me to do a access in to HE and some are telling me to do biology level 3 some are saying this should be enough providing I do get my C's I'm so confused please help me I really want to do my nursing agree and want to have a good chance at getting in! I've also worked in a residential care home for last four years at a supervisory role in not sure this would help to? Please help!!!
Original post by Rhole1
Hello I was wondering you all could kindly help me ! I'm trying to apply for university next year to do my nursing degree ! I'm currently about to enrol at college to re sit my English and maths as I didn't get a c grade in anything at school! 😞 I am also going to do human health and physiology alongside this which is a GCSES to! I'm going to aim high ! I currently have BTEC national diploma in health and social care at ppm level which I have been told is equivalent to 160 UCAS points! I'm still so confused some people are telling me to do a access in to HE and some are telling me to do biology level 3 some are saying this should be enough providing I do get my C's I'm so confused please help me I really want to do my nursing agree and want to have a good chance at getting in! I've also worked in a residential care home for last four years at a supervisory role in not sure this would help to? Please help!!!

Hi,

Just so you know, most universities want a minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade C or above. Only some will accept just English and Maths.

As for your original question, I think you are probably best to do an Access to Nursing course somewhere. They will offer you the opportunity to gain more UCAS points, and will give you a broader knowledge base going into nursing than just Biology Level 3. I think they sometimes support you in finding a placement or voluntary experience too.

Your role at the residential care home will also be good, but be sure to get as much experience as you can before you apply. What's also important is to utilise this wisely in your personal statement.

Best of luck, and any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Joel
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi, I am going to start BTEC Level 3 in Health and Social Care in September since I think I might have failed my first year of a-levels. I really want to be a midwife. I was wondering if you can give advice for me to prepare for becoming a midwife since I went to a taster day at city university for midwifery recently and it seems very difficult with hours and holiday's etc...
Nice thread.
Original post by Lila-Sara
Hi, I am going to start BTEC Level 3 in Health and Social Care in September since I think I might have failed my first year of a-levels. I really want to be a midwife. I was wondering if you can give advice for me to prepare for becoming a midwife since I went to a taster day at city university for midwifery recently and it seems very difficult with hours and holiday's etc...

( I'm going to be doing nursing in September but presume the same principles apply) Get as much experience as you possibly can and aim to get DDD if you can.
( I'm going to be doing nursing in September but presume the same principles apply) Get as much experience as you possibly can and aim to get DDD if you can.

Thank you I really want to get DDD so I can have a lot of choices for universities :smile: x I haven't read all the comments but have you done a-levels or btec?
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you I really want to get DDD so I can have a lot of choices for universities :smile: x I haven't read all the comments but have you done a-levels or btec?

I have a HND (level 5) in health and social care, i d very badly in a levels so got onto a HNC afterwards to improve my nursing application and get some more experience. I recon btec is the better option of the 2 since you get experience included in the qualification and the more experience the better chance you have at a place.
Do you have C's in gcse science,maths and english?:smile:
I have a HND (level 5) in health and social care, i d very badly in a levels so got onto a HNC afterwards to improve my nursing application and get some more experience. I recon btec is the better option of the 2 since you get experience included in the qualification and the more experience the better chance you have at a place.
Do you have C's in gcse science,maths and english?:smile:

Oh okay, I've done my first year of a-levels and even though I haven't got my results I feel like I have failed and that btec is better as you said I get the qualification and work experience. I wouldn't be able to handle work experience on top of A2 - Levels. Yes I got B's in all my GCSE's. :smile: Are you doing adult, child or mental health nursing. I'm not sure whether I want to do midwifery or nursing. If you don't mind me asking why do you want to be a nurse? thank you x :smile:
how hard is the literacy and numeracy test you have to do before doing the nursing degree
Oh okay, I've done my first year of a-levels and even though I haven't got my results I feel like I have failed and that btec is better as you said I get the qualification and work experience. I wouldn't be able to handle work experience on top of A2 - Levels. Yes I got B's in all my GCSE's. :smile: Are you doing adult, child or mental health nursing. I'm not sure whether I want to do midwifery or nursing. If you don't mind me asking why do you want to be a nurse? thank you x :smile:

Mental health nursing:smile: All basically comes down to wanting to contribute to society, to help people with mental health in their recovery, fight the stigma and discrimination patients encounter (i could go on forever to be honest). you got better gcses than me, scrapped a c in english:P.
I d say get experience with mothers and babys and then try to get experience with children and adults and mental health too. ( bit difficult to do but if you give everything a try then it should help you massively with your decision). Midwifery and childrens nursing have the least places but if that's what you want to be then you should go for it.
Original post by Audiology-Med
how hard is the literacy and numeracy test you have to do before doing the nursing degree

Hi,

They are generally about GCSE standard, if that. They primarily involve addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, as well as percentages, ratios and very basic drug calculations. Some universities offer sample papers on their websites, which although they might not be the unis you are interested in, they will still help you get a feel for the sort of standard you can expect.

Hope that helps!
Joel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending