The Student Room Group

Current Nurse/Midwife and Student Nurse/Midwife - Ask Me Anything thread masterlist

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PDizzle
That is really helpful thank you. How flexible do they tend to be around the hours? How many are you hoping to fit in around studies?

You have to do 1 shift every 6 months to stay on the bank, also you choose your hours yourself as you book the shifts from those available.
Well I'm entering my 3rd year in September so I'm hoping to do a couple of shifts before i start then perhaps one or two shifts a month depending on my uni workload and placement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PDizzle
Just wondering if anyone can help me.

I have a place at University of Leeds for Children's Nursing starting September. I am a mature student and I am just currently working out my finances.

I am not going to have the luxury of not having to work during my degree and will for definite need to pick up shifts as a bank HCA. As someone who has been working whilst completing a part time foundation degree I hope this will set me in good stead for the time management aspect of doing this.

I know that people all pick up different numbers of hours depending on situation etc so it is hard to get a definitive answer but I just wanted to know from peoples personal experiences how many hours people have been able to pick up (roughly) and the sort of money they get for hourly rate (or how much they get monthly if they don't mind sharing this information on a public forum).#

Many thanks from a stressed out future student who is unsure how he will make ends meet...

I work for my university's widening participation department, so I go into local schools and colleges and independently run sessions to students about nursing courses, the interview and application process etc etc etc.

We also do a summer school which I've just helped on, as well as generic events for local school students to come in and experience general university life, which I have got involved in, although as the only nursing student the department employ, I tend to stick to my area of knowledge.

I love the job, it's on a 0 hours contract, paid at £7.85 per hour. For the summer school I got paid this rate for 24hrs a day as it was residential. On average I probably do 1-2 4hr sessions a month, but could do more if I'd really pushed it.

So, what I'm saying in a round about kind of way, is don't forget that your university employ student ambassadors (My role is slightly different, though) on flexible hours! The team I work for have always been understanding when I can't work due to placement.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello
So I am currently not studying, but in September 2016 I wish to apply for the midwifery course in Cardiff/South Wales/Swansea and Newport.
I have been trying for months and months to secure some experience. I have spoken to hospitals, pregnancy classes, volunteer bureaus and have had no luck. I dont personally know any midwives that I could ask for advice.
Im currently not working for 6 weeks (Its the summer holidays, and I am a nursery nurse) so I thought this would be a prime time as I have so much spare time.
Can anyone give me any advice on who to contact or speak to.
Any experience is better than none, and I am willing to travel within reason.
PLEASE HELP!
Hi sorry to be a pain but am reaching desperation stage, really struggling to find a dissertation topic and time's ticking- am most interested in neuro rehab but have searched endlessly for examples or ideas and not come up with much. Any suggestions would be greatly welcome! Thanks in advance :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by clarebear28
Hi sorry to be a pain but am reaching desperation stage, really struggling to find a dissertation topic and time's ticking- am most interested in neuro rehab but have searched endlessly for examples or ideas and not come up with much. Any suggestions would be greatly welcome! Thanks in advance :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's the 'brief' from your university? Their expectations and any guidance etc? Can you copy and paste that and then I will be able to be more useful :smile:
Original post by MidwifeWannaBe!
Hello
So I am currently not studying, but in September 2016 I wish to apply for the midwifery course in Cardiff/South Wales/Swansea and Newport.
I have been trying for months and months to secure some experience. I have spoken to hospitals, pregnancy classes, volunteer bureaus and have had no luck. I dont personally know any midwives that I could ask for advice.
Im currently not working for 6 weeks (Its the summer holidays, and I am a nursery nurse) so I thought this would be a prime time as I have so much spare time.
Can anyone give me any advice on who to contact or speak to.
Any experience is better than none, and I am willing to travel within reason.
PLEASE HELP!

You could try your local SureStart children's centre? Or a charity that supports women?
Original post by PaediatricStN
What's the 'brief' from your university? Their expectations and any guidance etc? Can you copy and paste that and then I will be able to be more useful :smile:

Hi PaediatricStN, many thanks for replying, appreciate it. As for a brief this is all we've been given :

'The dissertation will have an applied theory focus. It will review, critically analyse and summarise relevant theory and research, it will also demonstrate skills of systematic reflection, critical analyse and problem solving.

Needs to be a topic related to an aspect of nursing practice and draw upon placement experiences.'

So far have experience neuro-rehab, district nursing and orthopaedics. All of which are vast topics, just finding it hard to pinpoint something I could focus on x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi PaediatricStN, many thanks for replying, appreciate it. As for a brief this is all we've been given :

'The dissertation will have an applied theory focus. It will review, critically analyse and summarise relevant theory and research, it will also demonstrate skills of systematic reflection, critical analyse and problem solving.

Needs to be a topic related to an aspect of nursing practice and draw upon placement experiences.'

So far have experience neuro-rehab, district nursing and orthopaedics. All of which are vast topics, just finding it hard to pinpoint something I could focus on x

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem :smile:

The brief from your uni isn't very detailed! I didn't do a dissertation, but a final project.

Sounds like you've already recognised this, but do choose something very specific and go into great depth about it, and also choose something which you know there is a lot of research/guidance etc about or else you will struggle for content to analyse and critique.

I assume you've done placements in all those areas you've listed?

As you can probably guess, I'm paeds and I'm assuming you are an adult field student, so my knowledge for this isn't as broad as other's on here. I'd hoped for a more useful assignment brief where i could be more helpful! :P

I wonder if @ForestCat or @moonkatt can help!? :smile:
Hi thanks anyway really appreciate it. Am really interested in the therapeutic relationship and/ or communication but my PA said it needs to be more clinical and suggested mouth care. There's quite a bit of lit. on it but am not gonna lie, I don't think I could bring myself to write 10,000 words on that... My best placement was with neuro-rehab and is an area I can see myself working but have tried to search for articles etc to give me some ideas but am stumped :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi thanks anyway really appreciate it. Am really interested in the therapeutic relationship and/ or communication but my PA said it needs to be more clinical and suggested mouth care. There's quite a bit of lit. on it but am not gonna lie, I don't think I could bring myself to write 10,000 words on that... My best placement was with neuro-rehab and is an area I can see myself working but have tried to search for articles etc to give me some ideas but am stumped :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mouth care you say?

I'm in work at the moment, I'll try and reply later when I'm in :smile:
Reply 90
hi there
I'm hoping you can help me,. i have been offered a place at herts uni, in adult nursing, they offered me september start, but am thinking january start might be better,
would you happen to know if the holidays would be at different times if i was to start in jan as appose to sept? i have to give my answer by today,
thank you
Original post by vixrose
hi there
I'm hoping you can help me,. i have been offered a place at herts uni, in adult nursing, they offered me september start, but am thinking january start might be better,
would you happen to know if the holidays would be at different times if i was to start in jan as appose to sept? i have to give my answer by today,
thank you

Hi,

I'm a September intake, but my uni offer March intake and I know for definite that their holidays are different to ours, so I'd be fairly confident that a January intake would also offer different holiday times.

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by vixrose
hi there
thank you

My uni offers a jan intake for adult nursing. Their holidays are different to ours except for xmas holidays. For example, I am currently on annual leave then study leave before I start uni again but the jan intake had 3 weeks annual leave until monday 16th august and are now on placement for 7 weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PaediatricStN
Hi,

I'm a September intake, but my uni offer March intake and I know for definite that their holidays are different to ours, so I'd be fairly confident that a January intake would also offer different holiday times.

Hope that helps :smile:

in some cases you may have different holidays (aside christmas / new year) even within an intake depending on the timetable and the placement plot ...
Reply 94
Thanks for reply,.,
So for Xmas.,, do they have to do placement over Xmas period?
Original post by vixrose
Thanks for reply,.,
So for Xmas.,, do they have to do placement over Xmas period?

At my uni, they still get annual leave at xmas as they can only be on placement when uni are able to provide support (pastoral and academic) which is not an option at xmas due to staff being on annual leave then.
Tbh it would be unfair if September intake got xmas off but January had to work

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Original post by PDizzle
That is really helpful thank you. How flexible do they tend to be around the hours? How many are you hoping to fit in around studies?

Thank you for reply, such a big help :-)
Hi, after a children's ward in a hospital which is the second best place for a placement/work experience if wanting to do children's nursing?thanks
Hi, I will be studying adult nursing in September. What shoes are advised to be worn for placements? What types of shoes do student nurses generally wear? I have looked a some shoes that seem conformable, however most I'm not to keen on their appearance (I know I sound silly and fussy). But then I really would doubt what they would look like once I'm on my placement. I was also wondering to trousers usually cover the top part of the shoes too? :smile: Thank you.
Original post by nadzworldz
Hi, I will be studying adult nursing in September. What shoes are advised to be worn for placements? What types of shoes do student nurses generally wear? I have looked a some shoes that seem conformable, however most I'm not to keen on their appearance (I know I sound silly and fussy). But then I really would doubt what they would look like once I'm on my placement. I was also wondering to trousers usually cover the top part of the shoes too? :smile: Thank you.

Each uni will have a different uniform policy regarding shoes so I'd wait until you start to buy them so that you buy the right ones. My shoes are comfortable but look like something my nan would wear (i saw an old lady buying the same pair for everyday wearing) but I'd rather be comfortable than have pretty shoes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply