The Student Room Group

DSA proof

This is for long term mental illness.

I have a letter from my GP but it is fairly basic and doesn't mention any medication I'm on or the symptoms I'm suffering from/how it affects my studies.

It also isn't on headed letter paper but I have the receipt from when I paid for it? Would this be sufficient or should I go back to my GP and ask for it to be printed out again?

- as a side not I also have a couple of letters from my psychiatrist which was written about a year ago... could it be useful to maybe include these?
(edited 9 years ago)
You may need something more recent from your psychiatrist.
Reply 2
The letter is better on headed paper, but that shouldn't stop it provided it has been signed. it should state the condition and how it affects you on a daily basis. This is the part they are now enforcing more rigorously, so you may be asked to provide more evidence, or be given a Mental Health Evidence Form which just has some tick boxes on for a GP or psychiatrist to complete and sign/ stamp.
Reply 3
My GP letter was very brief, listed diagnosis and which consultants I'm under. In all no more than three sentences. I did have a two page letter from my psychotherapist though which outlined more detail around day to day needs and what help I was likely to need. Mine went through without any issue and the extra support has certainly been helpful.
Reply 4
Thanks for all of your help

I'm going to nip back to the surgery and try and get them to stamp the letter

It's really frustrating because I've paid a fair amount to get this and it doesn't include what I need which means I'll probably have to pay for another one :frown:
GPs charge for letters? I've had many letters from my GP for various things and I've never had to pay for one.
Reply 6
Original post by SmallTownGirl
GPs charge for letters? I've had many letters from my GP for various things and I've never had to pay for one.

Sometimes your uni cover the costs but mine stopped doing it the year before I started. I paid £15 for 4 lines and a few spelling mistakes. Just hope it gets accepted
Original post by Illuminate.
Sometimes your uni cover the costs but mine stopped doing it the year before I started. I paid £15 for 4 lines and a few spelling mistakes. Just hope it gets accepted

The first time I got a letter was before I came to uni.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
The first time I got a letter was before I came to uni.

I obviously live in the wrong area. Paid £30+VAt for GP letter.
Reply 9
I've never paid nor has it ever been mentioned.
Reply 10
As I keep pointing out, DSA regulations change from year to year so if a letter of three sentences was accepted one year, doesn't mean it will be accepted in the next. I've heard GP's demanding up to £80 per letter and a psychologist asking £250 to sign a form.
Original post by NJones
As I keep pointing out, DSA regulations change from year to year so if a letter of three sentences was accepted one year, doesn't mean it will be accepted in the next. I've heard GP's demanding up to £80 per letter and a psychologist asking £250 to sign a form.

To be fair to our GP we did not mind paying at all. He did us a very comprehensive letter using dsa and the universities own guidance to answer all elements required.
Reply 12
I paid £20, but for that, my GP wrote a detailed letter and supplied photocopies of all consultant/surgeon correspondence and hospital results (ten years' worth!) about the condition for which I was claiming DSA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending