The Student Room Group

Saudi invasion of Yemen imminent - 150,000 troops encamped

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/26/saudi-arabia-begins-airstrikes-against-houthi-in-yemen

The President of Yemen, not the most pleasant fellow but also our ally in the War on Terror, was deposed a couple of months ago by the Houthi rebels, who are an extreme Shi'a sect.

I'm not really a huge fan of the Saudis, but the Houthis (who are backed by Iran) are utterly mad. The Houthi flag has the following words;

"God is great, Death to America, Death to Israel, Curse on the Jews, Victory to Islam"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houthis
Reply 1
Well this puts us on the same side as al Qaeda, whilst being on the same side as Iran in Iraq and Syria. I'm starting to get the feeling we have no idea what we're trying to achieve in the Middle East.
Reply 2
Perhaps. I find backing Saudi here even more troubling as the al Qaeda affiliate in Yemen is one of the most dangerous. This could be a good thing if it brings stability to the country, but I really doubt it will. If anything it will galvanize a civil war.
Reply 3
Original post by Aj12
Well this puts us on the same side as al Qaeda,

I'm sorry but that is nonsense.

We are on the same side as the Yemeni government, which has been a staunch supporter of our programme of whacking Al-Qaeda bosses in Yemen using drones.
Reply 4
Original post by young_guns
I'm sorry but that is nonsense.

We are on the same side as the Yemeni government, which has been a staunch supporter of our programme of whacking Al-Qaeda bosses in Yemen using drones.

Sure saying the same side is over the top, however the Houthi claim to be fighting al Qaeda. as well as the Yemeni government. I'm not really convinced supporting a Saudi invasion is really going to provide a long term solution to the crisis in Yemen.

More and more it seems we are being dragged into proxy conflicts between Iran and Saudi Arabia, whilst trying to destroy groups like al Qaeda and ISIS. I really think we need to reconsider how engaged we are in the Middle East, given how unreliable our allies are and how they are part of the problem, rather than the solution.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aj12
Perhaps. I find backing Saudi here even more troubling as the al Qaeda affiliate in Yemen is one of the most dangerous. This could be a good thing if it brings stability to the country, but I really doubt it will. If anything it will galvanize a civil war.

I do not think so. Saudi will not allow AQAP to flourish here, if they get the chance they will try to deal with them and Hadi's government in Yemen are no friends of al-Qaeda. The stated goal was restoring Hadi in power and so if they feel they should they will try and go after them. I don't see the US or Egypt allowing this opportunity of being able to deal with them to pass.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think the elites know too well what they're doing in the Middle East. They are detribalizing it and creating conflicts, forcing regime changes that put in puppet governments. Muslims are too busy killing eachother to be a threat to Israel.

FSA are Wahhabi terrorists in my view and we support them. Assad may be a dictator but I find it strange he turned villain almost over night. He was probably framed by FSA for some of his alleged crimes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Ibn Fulaan
I do not think so. Saudi will not allow AQAP to flourish here, if they get the chance they will try to deal with them and Hadi's government in Yemen are no friends of al-Qaeda. The stated goal was restoring Hadi in power and so if they feel they should they will try and go after them. I don't see the US or Egypt allowing this opportunity of being able to deal with them to pass.

Will Saudi view AQAP as the main threat here though? Or will it focus on the Iranian proxies? Which exactly do they see as their more concerning threat? al Qaeda has a habit of slipping through cracks and regenerating as soon as the pressure is taken off, a foreign intervention could allow this to happen and may push more recruits towards them. Perhaps Egypt's involvement may help, I just hope that concerns about Iran don't overshadow AQAP
Original post by Europeans1st
I think the elites know too well what they're doing in the Middle East. They are detribalizing it and creating conflicts, forcing regime changes that put in puppet governments. Muslims are too busy killing eachother to be a threat to Israel.

FSA are Wahhabi terrorists in my view and we support them. Assad may be a dictator but I find it strange he turned villain almost over night. He was probably framed by FSA for some of his alleged crimes.

History has shown us that Muslims have a habit of getting their arse handed back to them on a plate when they threaten Israel.

If you think the chaos in the middle east is related to Israel think again.
Original post by Aj12
I'm starting to get the feeling we have no idea what we're trying to achieve in the Middle East.

Starting?
Reply 10
Original post by Ibn Fulaan

Well said. It is typical Iranian propaganda to accuse any Sunni enemy of being Al-Qaeda. This is what they called the sunni demonstrators in Iraq, who they slaughtered which contributed to the ISIS uprising (not to excuse that, of course; I loathe ISIS).

Just because Al-Qaeda is a significant threat, that doesn't mean that extremist Shi'a groups are somehow off the hook. It is good that the Gulf states are now strong enough to police their area of the world without direct American troops on the ground
Original post by Aj12
Will Saudi view AQAP as the main threat here though? Or will it focus on the Iranian proxies? Which exactly do they see as their more concerning threat? al Qaeda has a habit of slipping through cracks and regenerating as soon as the pressure is taken off, a foreign intervention could allow this to happen and may push more recruits towards them. Perhaps Egypt's involvement may help, I just hope that concerns about Iran don't overshadow AQAP

The more concerning threat would be Iran, AQAP is secondary. The government that is formed if order is restored and the houthis are comprehensively defeated (and that's a big if) will play a big part, I think, as certain tribes have genuine grievances about drone strikes and the like and their engagement will be critical in drawing local support away from AQAP.

It all depends on the success of the ground invasion and how the tribes react though. With Egypt and the US (to a lesser degree) involved it is highly likely in my opinion that there will be some sort of attack on AQAP.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aj12
Sure saying the same side is over the top, however the Houthi claim to be fighting al Qaeda. as well as the Yemeni government. I'm not really convinced supporting a Saudi invasion is really going to provide a long term solution to the crisis in Yemen.

More and more it seems we are being dragged into proxy conflicts between Iran and Saudi Arabia, whilst trying to destroy groups like al Qaeda and ISIS. I really think we need to reconsider how engaged we are in the Middle East, given how unreliable our allies are and how they are part of the problem, rather than the solution.

Going by some analysts on twitter (kinda reliable :biggrin:), AQAP are freely roaming around (with support from Sunni tribes) and they themselves are also capturing / trying to capture provinces.

It's a total nightmare for America and there's every possibility Yemen will turn into another Syria / Iraq.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think this is a terrible move by the Saudis. These sort of situations are ideal breeding grounds for groups like Isis.

houthis are no threat to Saudi in terms of military as long as Aqap and ISis are in the mix.

Saudis should be working together with Iran to liberate tirkit in Iraq

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending