The Student Room Group

Heart arrhythmia...possibly stress related?

Hi all,,

i consider that i am a healthy male,dont smoke ,only drink a couple of glasses of wine a week,close to ideal BMI, reasonable exercise etc,

Recently i have noticed periods where maybe im sitting still and suddenly i will get a series of fluttering type sensations in the left of my chest that feel like they are above my heart rather than actually from within it. Sometimes i automatically cough.
After a short while the feelings subside and everything returns to normal.

I regularly measure my resting BP and it is typically around the "ideal" 120/80 6o bpm though sometimes the systolic is elevated at maybe 130/138 and diastolic can be toward 70.

I know it can vary for assorted reasons.

Having googled it seems i might be suffering PAC/PVC

https://www.mylifestages.org/asktheexpert/QuestionAnswer.page?questionid=2230

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

thanks
Reply 1
Any associations ?Caffeine. Family history of cardiac dysrhythmia? Might be worth a trip to GP if persists for potentially an ECG +- 24 hour tape, routine bloods like thyroid function worth checking too.
Often never find a reason for it, and difficult for GP as ECG is just a snapshot, hence we can go for 24 hour tape. You mention its felt above the level of the heart, have you manually checked your pulse during an episode?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all,,

i consider that i am a healthy male,dont smoke ,only drink a couple of glasses of wine a week,close to ideal BMI, reasonable exercise etc,

Recently i have noticed periods where maybe im sitting still and suddenly i will get a series of fluttering type sensations in the left of my chest that feel like they are above my heart rather than actually from within it. Sometimes i automatically cough.
After a short while the feelings subside and everything returns to normal.

I regularly measure my resting BP and it is typically around the "ideal" 120/80 6o bpm though sometimes the systolic is elevated at maybe 130/138 and diastolic can be toward 70.

I know it can vary for assorted reasons.

Having googled it seems i might be suffering PAC/PVC

https://www.mylifestages.org/asktheexpert/QuestionAnswer.page?questionid=2230

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

thanks
Reply 2
Hi Sean..Thanks for the reply..

No i dont think there are any associations. I just drink tea at a normal rate,no coffee,no stimulant drinks,no prescription or err..other drugs.no real dietary changes etc.. the only thing i can think of is an additional dollop of stress and subsequent re-adjustments over maybe a few months..average bp reads over last few weeks are 125/73 62 bpm MAP 91
Original post by Anonymous
Hi Sean..Thanks for the reply..

No i dont think there are any associations. I just drink tea at a normal rate,no coffee,no stimulant drinks,no prescription or err..other drugs.no real dietary changes etc.. the only thing i can think of is an additional dollop of stress and subsequent re-adjustments over maybe a few months..average bp reads over last few weeks are 125/73 62 bpm MAP 91

Hi,

I think it is worth getting it checked out. Least it will put your mind at rest. Can't afford to muck around with heart problems. Take care:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest