The Student Room Group

I got a scholarship but don't want to attend? HELP ME PLEASE!

So I applied to ALOT of unis in UK and USA because I'm the paranoid type, and I've got into my two main ones (UCLA and King's College) and I really want to go to either of these. However I also got a $23,000 scholarship to the University of Miami, and now I'm feeling the pressure to go there because it will save my parents a lot of money. I just really really really don't want to! I've been dreaming of King's Colelge and UCLA and they are what motivated me to do well in my A Level and SATs and I don't want to settle for Miami. I don't know how to tell my parents this and not sound like a spoiled unappreciative little brat someone please help me!! Anything you have to say! This is stressing me out so much
Just be honest with them. Then weigh up the pros and cons. Unless your parents are minted, $23k saved is a pretty big deal. But then again, so is your university experience. I've lived in London all of my childhood so going to Kings wouldn't appeal to me, but I also wanted to stay in England and although LA is pretty kick-***, the fear of missing out on an English uni experience would freak me out. I also prefer LA to Miami, but that's a bit irrelevant because each to his own.

It's a tough decision but in terms of speaking to your parents, just say you appreciate the money issue but that you are really want to go to one of the others. From there, you can have a honest conversation and make up your mind along with your school teachers/friends and family friends. Good luck.
Reply 2
You have a scholarship for Miami and don't want to go there? How sick are you?

You'll go to UCLA for postgrad.
go to university of miami for your undergrad! - a $23,000 scholarship is a lot of money! you can always come back to London for your postgrad degree; you never know, maybe you'll like studying there more than you seem to at the moment! you'll have an amazing uni experience and save lots of money at the same time! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending