The Student Room Group

4 weeks off for Easter at uni a bit excess

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by LeaX
I break up today for four weeks and I'm not looking forward to it as I have a lot of revision to do (9 exams, eek) and sitting in your bedroom revising is so boring and lonely. :frown:

What uni/course? That's quite a late Easter break-up!
Original post by ZolaCFC25
What uni/course? That's quite a late Easter break-up!

Psychology and yeah we came back from Christmas quite late so I guess that's why we're breaking up later than other unis? We only have two teaching terms (Spring and Autumn) which are 11 weeks long, Summer term is just revision and exams.
I had an essay and 2 exams but still left everything to the last few days!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used to do that in college and barely got passes, now that I'm essentially working on things as soon as I get them and right up until they are due I'm getting scores of 90+ (one 87 has blotted my copy book unfortunately).
I'm excited for it, it means i can do all my training full time for my summer job =)
Reply 24
Original post by DasSnipez
I used to do that in college and barely got passes, now that I'm essentially working on things as soon as I get them and right up until they are due I'm getting scores of 90+ (one 87 has blotted my copy book unfortunately).

Course/uni? If I did that in my first degree (Politics) then I'd have got a 1st! Got a 2:1 leaving everything 12 hours before deadline... sometimes 2000-3000 words 3-4 hours before!
Course/uni? If I did that in my first degree (Politics) then I'd have got a 1st! Got a 2:1 leaving everything 12 hours before deadline... sometimes 2000-3000 words 3-4 hours before!

Games Programming at bolton.

I am just coming to the end of my first year though, should get harder from here on out.
I'll be going to the UK for uni in September and won't be able to visit my family in Canada at all during the year, leaving me on campus for every holiday. Is this common...I don't want to be alone during holidays :frown:
Original post by LauraRMCF
I'll be going to the UK for uni in September and won't be able to visit my family in Canada at all during the year, leaving me on campus for every holiday. Is this common...I don't want to be alone during holidays :frown:

It is common for national students to go home but some of them choose not to go home for all of the break. The international students often stay. I know at the uni i'm at that there are always people about. Also many international students see breaks as an opportunity to visit Europe through organised trips with other students. Don't worry about it
Uk universities should just switch to the two semester model with a good long summer holiday - it works far more effectively.
Original post by cole-slaw
Uk universities should just switch to the two semester model with a good long summer holiday - it works far more effectively.

Is this not common?

That's exactly what mine does.

Honestly the thought of a three month summer holiday just seems like way too much.
Original post by LauraRMCF

A lot of people go 'home', particularly in their first year, but a lot of people also stay. There's always people around.

The only time of year where you'll feel lonely is over Christmas.
Reply 31
Four weeks?! I only get ONE week and I'm going to have to spend it doing coursework anyway! I have a grand total of three weeks' holiday this year, and two of those were for Christmas and New Year. Consider yourselves lucky.
Original post by DasSnipez
Is this not common?

That's exactly what mine does.

Honestly the thought of a three month summer holiday just seems like way too much.

Many still have three terms, so exams don't happen until after Christmas and then there is this ridiculous Easter holiday three quarters of the way through the second semester.

It should be one semester before christmas, then another one after, with no mid-semester breaks.
Reply 33

There's already a 15 week summer holiday! Should just extend the uni year i think. Go home at start of July instead of June.

Original post by Blazar
Four weeks?! I only get ONE week and I'm going to have to spend it doing coursework anyway! I have a grand total of three weeks' holiday this year, and two of those were for Christmas and New Year. Consider yourselves lucky.

Where?!
There's already a 15 week summer holiday! Should just extend the uni year i think. Go home at start of July instead of June.
Where?!

But most students do internships or go travelling in the summer. This is the entire point of the long holidays.

The US system is better: One semester August to December, One semester January to May, then 3 months off. No Easter holidays.
I have a fortnight...
When I break up on Thursday, I'll go in 5 more times for my exams and that's it, finished!! The month before my exams is definitely needed for revision time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
But most students do internships or go travelling in the summer. This is the entire point of the long holidays.

The US system is better: One semester August to December, One semester January to May, then 3 months off. No Easter holidays.

The longest internship is like 12 weeks long. The UK uni year is the same period. September till end of May in many cases (where I am too), just we get an extra 4 weeks off at Easter and maybe slightly more at Christmas. Easter just disrupts the year. Should have 3 weeks at Christmas and 2-3 at Easter and then also go on for a couple of weeks longer. We're only at uni for half the year! Half take a gap year to travel before or after uni anyway.

Imagine being at uni in the summer! Would be amazing. Instead of those short, damp, cold days before and after Xmas.
(edited 9 years ago)
The longest internship is like 12 weeks long. The UK uni year is the same period. September till end of May in many cases (where I am too), just we get an extra 4 weeks off at Easter and maybe slightly more at Christmas. Easter just disrupts the year. Should have 3 weeks at Christmas and 2-3 at Easter and then also go on for a couple of weeks longer. We're only at uni for half the year! Half take a gap year to travel before or after uni anyway.

Imagine being at uni in the summer! Would be amazing. Instead of those short, damp, cold days before and after Xmas.

Some universities offer the option to do some modules through the summer to relieve pressure in the third year. I'm going to be writing my dissertation over the summer vacation and will be staying in my university city. :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by Roving Fish
Some universities offer the option to do some modules through the summer to relieve pressure in the third year. I'm going to be writing my dissertation over the summer vacation and will be staying in my university city. :smile:

I'm far too homely for that. Rushed my dissertation in my first degree in 6 days and somehow scraped a 2:1. I could have finished it the summer before final year and chilled the hell out! Might do that this time in my law degree... applications all June and July, then dissertation August if I'm not doing any placements. Especially since I play cricket in the summer and it takes up nearly 3-4 days a week from 2 weeks pre-Easter onwards.

Quick Reply

Latest