The Student Room Group

Students' most-loved supermarket revealed

Where's the best place to do your food shopping? That's the question we asked you in our big Loved By Students survey...and the results are in.

You might expect to see Aldi and Lidl high up on this list, but the top three is actually taken up by Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury's, in that order.

Aldi grabbed fourth, while Waitrose and Morrisons were further down the list.

You can see all the results - including the full countdown from this category - in our Loved By Students section.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=13833-best-supermarket-students

What do you think of the winners in this category?
Reply 1
Very disappointed. I really dislike tesco and asda. And is shocked that wait rose is so high.
Judging from conversations I've had on TSR, I can't believe it's not Waitrose! :eek4:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Judging from conversations I've had on TSR, I can't believe it's not Waitrose! :eek4:

Waitrose is the bomb!
Original post by James Milibanter

Waitrose is the bomb!
I know right?! :eek3:

Yes you have to pay a bit more, but you get good quality groceries that are well sourced, not like the tesco's 17 Chickens for 50p.
(Slight exaggeration but the point remains the same)

But it's so good :coma:

That said, I may need to cut out waitrose when I start my PhD :sad:
I'd agree with this. I used to either get deliveries from ASDA or walk to Sainsbury's as a student. Sometimes went to the Tesco Express for late night/Sunday stuff.

Surprised Waitrose is so high tbh.
Original post by James Milibanter

Yes you have to pay a bit more, but you get good quality groceries that are well sourced, not like the tesco's 17 Chickens for 50p.
(Slight exaggeration but the point remains the same)
Plus you get a free coffee and a newspaper and a little green token to donate. :yep: It's a very genteel experience.
Original post by Slowbro93

:sad:

A tragic day :frown:
I went to Asda in first year as it was down the road. Asda delivery in second year and then Morrisons/Co-Op for fourth year as they were the closest. Co-op for milk, bread, snacks when I was running short and Morrisons for my main shop.

I just prefer going somewhere close to be honest.
Original post by Slowbro93

But waitrose is price matched to tesco!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not gonna lie, I'm loyal to Tesco :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hey_its_me
But waitrose is price matched to tesco!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You sure about that?

Original post by Spock's Socks
Not gonna lie, I'm loyal to Tesco :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too. I get all my shopping from Tesco, so I'm pleased to see it coming out on top. They have a lot of £1 delivery slots as well, so I usually get it all home delivered. All my flat love Lidl, but I don't particularly like it, except for one or two things. They have a really good Ben & Jerry's alternative. :cute:
One of the favorite thing that every age group people love to have it that is Ice cream. Specially the students used to take ice cream daily and mostly students used to go supermarket for buying chocolate and Ice cream.
Reply 15
Saintsbury's for the main shop. Co-op for my lunch at college

Posted from TSR Mobile
ASDA is rated higher than Waitrose? What is this blasphemy?
Lidl, Morrisons and Iceland in that order.

Lidl was great for cheap alternatives. Morrisons was for great variety, a bit pricey if you weren't careful though. And Iceland was great for lazy food.
Tesco and Asda are overrated.

Quick Reply

Latest