The Student Room Group

The British tank that couldn't go over a tiny hill.

Scroll to see replies

That's not a tank.
Hahaha. We won ww2 though so meh.
Original post by Camoxide
That's not a tank.

What is it then? a truck?

Original post by ZolaCFC25
Hahaha. We won ww2 though so meh.

History as written by whom? :cool:
Reply 4
Original post by Vanessa Leah

Armored Personnel carrier. Be a bit pointless to have a tank with wheels.
Original post by Aj12
Armored Personnel carrier. Be a bit pointless to have a tank with wheels.

Thank you for the clarification. But why was this Armoured Personnel Carrier unable to go over a tiny hill?
Reply 6
Thank you for the clarification. But why was this Armoured Personnel Carrier unable to go over a tiny hill?

Not a clue, could be anything from a poorly designed vehicle, to the guy not driving it properly. I can't really say.
Original post by Aj12
Not a clue, could be anything from a poorly designed vehicle, to the guy not driving it properly. I can't really say.

Well I'm going to watch the video a couple of times to see if I can establish why the British APC was unable to go over a tiny hill in Ukraine. I'll get back to you if I come across some concrete findings.
My 07 Astra could get over that.
Original post by ImNotSuperman
My 07 Astra could get over that.

So can my dad's Vauxhall! Why do you think the tank, opps sorry, I meant the British Armoured Personnel Carrier could not go over the tiny hill in Ukraine?
So can my dad's Vauxhall! Why do you think the tank, opps sorry, I meant the British Armoured Personnel Carrier could not go over the tiny hill in Ukraine?

My best guess is that those operating the vehicle have not had sufficient training and therefore cannot operate the APC to its fully capacity. Between that and the possibility that the vehicle is crap and that would be why it was taken out of service.

Although considering that it was in service for 25 years I don't believe its capability was the problem. So it leads me back to poor operating by the user.

Nah but we won for sure! Messed up in loads of other places though.
it's a Saxon, a four ton bedford truck with a lightly armoured tin shed on it ...

they are a nearly 40 year old design whose actual purpose was to allow the transport of reinforcements from the UK to BAOR primarily via sufaced roads...

also note the APC that goes after has a degree of problems due to the loose surface ...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DiddyDec
My best guess is that those operating the vehicle have not had sufficient training and therefore cannot operate the APC to its fully capacity. Between that and the possibility that the vehicle is crap and that would be why it was taken out of service.

Although considering that it was in service for 25 years I don't believe its capability was the problem. So it leads me back to poor operating by the user.

Original post by ZolaCFC25
Nah but we won for sure! Messed up in loads of other places though.

Original post by zippyRN
it's a Saxon, a four ton bedford truck with a lightly armoured tin shed on it ...

they are a nearly 40 year old design whose actual purpose was to allow the transport of reinforcements from the UK to BAOR primarily via sufaced roads...

also note the APC that goes after has a degree of problems due to the loose surface ...

well as long as Britain doesn't get itself involved in anymore unnecessary wars then its fine. neither the money nor the technology is available in present time.
well as long as Britain doesn't get itself involved in anymore unnecessary wars then its fine. neither the money nor the technology is available in present time.

We have the technology.
We have the technology.

That's nice to know. I'm going to have to take a look at that video again and figure out why the British Armoured Personnel Carrier was unable to go over the tiny hill in Ukraine.
That's nice to know. I'm going to have to take a look at that video again and figure out why the British Armoured Personnel Carrier was unable to go over the tiny hill in Ukraine.

Why?

I have already given you reasons and so have other posters.
Why?

I have already given you reasons and so have other posters.

I have this knack of reviewing things again no matter what others have said or concluded. Think Jeremy Paxman :colondollar:
As already mentioned, it's a heavy metal box designed to carry troops on surfaced roads, not tackle 30degree inclines offroad. Going at that speed I'm not surprised it wouldn't get up that slope.
That's a Saxon armoured truck. Originally designed to transport troops in rear areas on roads, this is probably a modified version from Northern Ireland loaded up with additional armour and not intended to leave British cities.

I'm not sure I'd agree that this is a useless vehicle. It would come in quite handy dealing with rioters in a Ukrainian city which you might recall are not exactly unheard-of. It is not an effective off-road APC.

Quick Reply

Latest