The Student Room Group

Edexcel M4 Exam Discussion Thread [June 5th]

I thought I might want to make an M4 thread, since there's only so many people taking it.:cool:

The resources are hard to find though, so post them if you want to share them.:smile:

Solution Bank - http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/m4-solutionbank/
Past Papers (2002-) - http://freeexampapers.com/?dir=A-Level/Maths/Edexcel
TeeEm's Resources - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=56191033#post56191033
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Whoo! Anyone dpne ch5 yet the stability stuff. I am lookingnforward to it looks interesting!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I found two exercises in solution bank which I think that the solution is wrong (maybe I am wrong).The exercises are from review exercise 1: Question3a and question8a. Do you think the answer given is right?
Reply 3
Also , how many candidates give this unit? I thought I was the only one until now...that's maybe because I am an international student.
Wow M4. You guyz must be clever !
Original post by Vesniep
I found two exercises in solution bank which I think that the solution is wrong (maybe I am wrong).The exercises are from review exercise 1: Question3a and question8a. Do you think the answer given is right?

Loads of questions in the mechanics book are wrong. Ill check them out later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vesniep
Also , how many candidates give this unit? I thought I was the only one until now...that's maybe because I am an international student.

Isnt it only upto M3 for IAL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but there's no reason why international students have to do the IAL.
Reply 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well,I am from Greece. I don't know if there is a difference between internatinal and EU student , but in my country we have the choice to give gce and I prefered it because it has more mechanics units.
Original post by tiny hobbit
Yes, but there's no reason why international students have to do the IAL.

Oh ok.So they can do the normal a levels and not R papers? So come june, He will sit the same M4 I will sit ? If so what are R papers for then? Who sits them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I believe that everyone all around the world should give the same alevel exam in order to be fair. Ial has only 12 or 13(i don't remember) units and I want to give FM additional so that would be a problem
Oh ok.So they can do the normal a levels and not R papers? So come june, He will sit the same M4 I will sit ? If so what are R papers for then? Who sits them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The R papers were for candidates more than 5 hours east of the UK. They have now been abandoned because many of the possible candidates are now taking the IAL, since they can then do January exams.
The R papers were for candidates more than 5 hours east of the UK. They have now been abandoned because many of the possible candidates are now taking the IAL, since they can then do January exams.

Oh kool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to ask a question but don't consider me snobbish please.Why are a levels SO EASY? I mean so many students every year take A* and generally so students score so high marks. the success in this examination seem to depend on the practice you have made and they are not ''measuring'' potential of a candidate...that's why I think top UK universities (cambridge, oxford,...) also ask you to give another examination(step , mat) in order to see if you really diserve a place...if you see in other countries the mean score of the final score of final exams is much smaller .for instance my countries mean score for mathematics is 6/20 (that is 30%....)
Original post by Vesniep
I want to ask a question but don't consider me snobbish please.Why are a levels SO EASY? I mean so many students every year take A* and generally so students score so high marks. the success in this examination seem to depend on the practice you have made and they are not ''measuring'' potential of a candidate...that's why I think top UK universities (cambridge, oxford,...) also ask you to give another examination(step , mat) in order to see if you really diserve a place...if you see in other countries the mean score of the final score of final exams is much smaller .for instance my countries mean score for mathematics is 6/20 (that is 30%....)

Pretty much, I studied hard in maths when I was in Hong Kong and I had no problem doing everything in C1-4, M1 and S1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So no more R papers in 2015?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by simonli2575
Pretty much, I studied hard in maths when I was in Hong Kong and I had no problem doing everything in C1-4, M1 and S1.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I also had a good level at maths and c1-c4,s1,m1-m2,fp1-fp2 seem so easy. M3,M4 are in my opinion the most interesting units , but quiet difficult ....and the Fp3 maybe the worst unit possible especially linear algebra( I think we are not mature enough such difficult concepts ,so we end up doing meaningless calculations and the same applies to other units unfortunately).
Original post by Vesniep
I also had a good level at maths and c1-c4,s1,m1-m2,fp1-fp2 seem so easy. M3,M4 are in my opinion the most interesting units , but quiet difficult ....and the Fp3 maybe the worst unit possible especially linear algebra( I think we are not mature enough such difficult concepts ,so we end up doing meaningless calculations and the same applies to other units unfortunately).

They don't seem hard, it just takes time and some examples to understand them, however abstract they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I took the decision to give a levels at 25 of february...so time is a problem ,that's what I'm saying.
Original post by Vesniep
I took the decision to give a levels at 25 of february...so time is a problem ,that's what I'm saying.

You are applying to uni this year right? If so you dont need to take all those units for Cambrodge. You only need 6 this year. Or 9 if AFM which you could be doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest