The Student Room Group

How many applications/interviews did you go through before getting your 1st grad job?

And what year did you graduate?
Reply 1
30-40 applications, 3 interviews, graduated in 2010.

Took me a year to get a job!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
About 8 applications, 2 interviews, one job offer. Haven't graduated yet so it's subject to a 2.1
2 interviews, first was December before I graduated. About 15 applications and working about 10 days after my last day of Uni. Graduated 2013.
I'm at 200+ applications, have had 4 - 5 interviews; I graduated in July 2014. :sigh:

Edit: I should point out, not all of said applications are just for graduate positions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Freudian Slip
I'm at 200+ applications, have had 4 - 5 interviews; I graduated in July 2014. :sigh:

Edit: I should point out, not all of said applications are just for graduate positions.

200 applications!? Are you spending enough time on each one? Remember that it's quality over quantity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pipsico
200 applications!? Are you spending enough time on each one? Remember that it's quality over quantity.

Haha, I'm jobless and otherwise not engaged, so I have plenty of hours in the day to apply, yeah. That said, there's also a set quota I'm required to meet by the DWP, so some of them are literally just: 'click to add CV > click to add cover letter > send'.

Also, that works out at something like six applications a week, it's hardly a lot... in fact, I probably underestimated the original number without going through my e-mails and jobsite accounts, ha.
Reply 7
Original post by Freudian Slip

If you're getting a 2% hit rate, you're doing something wrong. Reassess.
Original post by M1011
If you're getting a 2% hit rate, you're doing something wrong. Reassess.

It's because I've firmed a place to go back to university in September; typically, I have been declined as soon as they find out I can't complete their training period or whatever else. So, yeah, it's not something that troubles me overly much.
A couple of applications (about 5?), one interview. :smug: Graduated 2012. I messed around working in retail for a year or so after I graduated because I was so terrified of the grad market but I got really lucky in the end.
(edited 9 years ago)
I had two interviews. One for a graduate job I didn't get. One for a non skilled temp job I did get. I'm now unemployed again. Fun times.

No idea how many applications I have sent. Not been counting.

Original post by ArtGoblin
A couple of applications (about 5?), one interview. :smug: Graduated 2012. I messed working in retail for a year or so after I graduated because I was so terrified of the grad market but I got really lucky in the end.

Do you mean you chose to work in retail for a year or you got stuck there due to not getting grad jobs?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I had two interviews. One for a graduate job I didn't get. One for a non skilled temp job I did get. I'm now unemployed again. Fun times.

No idea how many applications I have sent. Not been counting.

Do you mean you chose to work in retail for a year or you got stuck there due to not getting grad jobs?

I decided that I wanted to go back to uni to study midwifery so I was working in retail to save some money so I could do that. Although I didn't arrange any work experience or volunteering while I did this which I said I would so I think the whole idea was a way for me to avoid getting a full time grad job and get my parents off my back.
I decided that I wanted to go back to uni to study midwifery so I was working in retail to save some money so I could do that. Although I didn't arrange any work experience or volunteering while I did this which I said I would so I think the whole idea was a way for me to avoid getting a full time grad job and get my parents off my back.

I feel like I am in a similar the situation now.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I feel like I am in a similar the situation now.

When did you graduate? The first year or so after graduation is really tough - I don't know a single person who hasn't struggled with the idea that this is what life is now and is going to be until we retire. But the reality isn't nearly as bad as my fears. I don't love my job but it's so much better than that horrible period of unknown that I was in last year. You'll get there eventually. What are your plans at the moment?
When did you graduate? The first year or so after graduation is really tough - I don't know a single person who hasn't struggled with the idea that this is what life is now and is going to be until we retire. But the reality isn't nearly as bad as my fears. I don't love my job but it's so much better than that horrible period of unknown that I was in last year. You'll get there eventually. What are your plans at the moment?

Posts like this give me hope. :love:

Totally agree with this. It's that horrible floating period, where you've spent 3 or 4 years having all that freedom, challenging your mind at university, surrounded by friends and like-minded people..
Then you move back home to live with your parents, who still treat you like the doe eyed child that left for university years ago..
Your only hope is to get this job, the job that you've spent all those years working towards... But you're facing countless other competitors. And applications are a whole new world of pressure. All that work and pressure without a guaranteed tangible result or feedback at the end.

Your parents and family and others constantly ask you how job hunting is going, which only adds to the pressure.
You feel like every day you don't get a response, you have a lesser chance of getting that job.

Days and months tick by, and desperation starts to kick in. You start looking at alternative jobs, consider taking something lesser unless someone shakes you out of it.

It's this period that is the most crucial... you're feeling most rejected and desperate. You are losing hope. But you've learnt so much.. You've put together a strong portfolio of answers at this point. You know how to answer questions better, know how to interview better down to experience from previous rejected ones...

Don't give up hope. If you're going to change tact, make sure it's in relation to the career you want. Get people to look at your CV. Surround yourself with positive people, not the ones who will make you feel worse.

I went through this, and it was honestly the worst time in my life (I'm fortunate enough to say that, touch wood!) so I really sympathise for those currently job searching. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I applied to 11 graduate schemes. Attended 5 Assessment Centres. Received 3 Offers.

I confirmed a role before graduation with an Investment Bank.

It was bloody difficult though. Graduated in 2014 July.
I'll be graduating this summer. I've applied for no roles as yet (the next month i'm crammed with essays and my dissertation and my third year grade is likely to be much higher than my first or second) however the plan upon graduation is to look at companies listed on the FTSE 100 and S&P 100 along with energy, transport and the civil service and just go for whatever entry level role i can get.

To make sure i'm not one of these that ends up unemployed and on the dole i'll also search for call center jobs while registering with multiple job agencies for relatively menial jobs. I'm not concerned about this though because i don't struggle for menial jobs.

I think over the summer i will also probably do a Microsoft Office Certificate and take the Bloomberg Aptitude Test.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending