The Student Room Group

Save me from stats!

Not trying to make myself sound like a crying baby, but stats is my worst nightmare. Everytime I try revising for it, I do a past paper question based on that topic and I never get it right. Perms and Combs, median in a frequency table that has the first and last interval being "x is less than or equal to 27/ x is greater than 61"

"What is this madness?!" I say in my head.

I don't seem to have much of a problem with C1 and 2 on this concept. But stats, I don't get it whatsoever.

Does anyone have any advice on how to revise it or how to get better at it? I understanding that getting it incorrect is part of understanding it, but I don't exactly see any improvements happening.
Reply 1
Original post by Fruitbasket786
Not trying to make myself sound like a crying baby, but stats is my worst nightmare. Everytime I try revising for it, I do a past paper question based on that topic and I never get it right. Perms and Combs, median in a frequency table that has the first and last interval being "x is less than or equal to 27/ x is greater than 61"

I don't seem to have much of a problem with C1 and 2 on this concept. But stats, I don't get it whatsoever.

Does anyone have any advice on how to revise it or how to get better at it? I understanding that getting it incorrect is part of understanding it, but I don't exactly see any improvements happening.

banging head.jpg

Surely the only way to get better at it is to just do more past papers and then looking up the solutions to the things you've done wrong and remembering how to tackle them the next time? Look at a few examples before you start doing past paper questions for the topic, might help.
Original post by TeeEm

That's how I feel when doing a stats paper >:frown:
Original post by Magnesium
Surely the only way to get better at it is to just do more past papers and then looking up the solutions to the things you've done wrong and remembering how to tackle them the next time? Look at a few examples before you start doing past paper questions for the topic, might help.

That's true aswell. But it feels that it's always the same things that I have to go over which is frustrating. I'll practice some exam styled questions, do you know where I can get a bundle of OCR questions for stats so that I can improve?
Reply 5
That's how I feel when doing a stats paper >:frown:

I tried to inject a bit of humour in your frustration...
(notice the broken pencil)
yep stats is my worst nightmare...
I know how you feel, I am doing maths and further maths and my further maths modules are S1 and S2. I do a lot better in my other modules than in S1 and S2. When I read the questions I sometimes think "what witchcraft are they asking me to perform now?"
I guess the main issue is that we are made to do maths that is definite, so we can't add our own style to things because if we deviate from the method then we will risk losing marks. Whereas in the other modules there are different ways to approach things using the maths you understand, rather having to recall what to do exactly when asked a stats question.
I know this sounds drastic but you could try learn D1 or the other units instead of stats? I got AA in core 1 and core 2 but a D in stats and it brought me down to a C honestly get out while you still can... it just isn't for some people, I know I was one.
Ahem....

www.examsolutions.net

thank me later...

I feel exactly the same when it comes to stats.

All I can advise is to keep trying the past papers over and over again.
That's true aswell. But it feels that it's always the same things that I have to go over which is frustrating. I'll practice some exam styled questions, do you know where I can get a bundle of OCR questions for stats so that I can improve?

Do you have the OCR Cambridge S1 textbook? That's probably your first place to find questions and then your largest bank of questions is going to be past papers. Check your school's VLE (if you have one) for questions too, they'll normally put up extra questions for maths nearer exam time.

I would say that past papers are your best bet for prep for the real exam. S1 is a little annoying with all the steps you have to go through for some topics, but just persevere and it'll hopefully come naturally to you by May:smile: The OCR S1 exam is after the half term in May, so you'll have plenty of time to consolidate :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest