The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Sam Walters
Dont start that debate.

The lad already plays games on a computer and he enjoys it. He just wants a better machine for it.

So would he benefit from buying a ps4 or an xbox one. Nope. not at all. He wouldnt use it. Hes built up his friendship group of gaming pals on the PC.

So think carefully. He has.

I was reflecting upon my experience, just saying. Spending money on finance on something as expensive as a gaming PC would be stupid if not considered carefully.
Edit: and by gaming PC i mean at least something able to run 1080p games at 1080p in medium settings.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hectors
I was reflecting upon my experience, just saying. Spending money on finance on something as expensive as a gaming PC would be stupid if not considered carefully.

I took a loan out for a gaming laptop and dropped £1300 on it. Was a good move. If I had saved up I wouldn't be able to work on some of the projects I have. Projects that got my name out there in the mechanical design world. This then led me to other projects that I've made substantial amounts of money from. That's why I bought it. To do that and play games.

Its probably the second best decision I've ever made financially.
Reply 42
I took a loan out for a gaming laptop and dropped £1300 on it. Was a good move. If I had saved up I wouldn't be able to work on some of the projects I have. Projects that got my name out there in the mechanical design world. This then led me to other projects that I've made substantial amounts of money from. That's why I bought it. To do that and play games.

Its probably the second best decision I've ever made financially.

He didn't mention much else except for gaming though. Frankly, if you can afford something like a gaming PC then do buy one, but if you are struggling financially and would like to play games why not look at alternatives?
I did not want to cause such a massive debate cause frankly it is all about preference, he might prefer PC as he likes skyrim and wow, but if gaming is a necessity but you can't afford to buy a gaming PC why not look at a console instead?

One man reflects upon his experience and everybody loses their mind smh
Original post by Hectors
He didn't mention much else except for gaming though. Frankly, if you can afford something like a gaming PC then do buy one, but if you are struggling financially and would like to play games why not look at alternatives?
I did not want to cause such a massive debate cause frankly it is all about preference, he might prefer PC as he likes skyrim and wow, but if gaming is a necessity but you can't afford to buy a gaming PC why not look at a console instead?

One man reflects upon his experience and everybody loses their mind smh

Im not loosing my mind. But his friends are on PC. A console would be boring as heck!
Reply 44
Simply put mate. The case supports usb3 the motherboard doesn't. Just link them up as normal and it will run in usb2 on the front.

The mobo probably has usb 3.0 ports on the back so you arnt really loosing anything. But if you really want usb 3.0. (I doubt you would ever have a real need for it tbh, i dont and im a geek)

My friends response to pc u built configured for me,

"amd CPU's are really bad"

"put it like this.. a pentium from intel is better than an 8 core AMD cpu

intel have better threading and horsepower"

"your motherboard is a piece of **** xD

good luck overclocking"

"you have no mass storage hard drive.."

"but if you wanna buy that over my computer which is watercooled, overclocked properly, fully built and ready for you to pickup"
Reply 45
Original post by lilyobz

good luck overclocking"

"but if you wanna buy that over my computer which is watercooled, overclocked properly, fully built and ready for you to pickup"

Your "friend" is ripping you off.

And he sounds like a moron. Run your own comparisons. Price up the machine he's offering you as if it was new and then knock 70% off. That's what it's worth.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Planto
Your "friend" is ripping you off.

And he sounds like a moron. Run your own comparisons. Price up the machine he's offering you as if it was new and then knock 70% off. That's what it's worth.

was looking for more of a constructive response if u dont mind =/
Reply 47
Original post by lilyobz
was looking for more of a constructive response if u dont mind =/

The most constructive response I can give you is to tell your friend you aren't interested. The machine he's offering you is not worth £600 new, let alone second hand. Half of the components cannot even be bought new any more.

He's either trying to sell his old machine to your for way more than it's worth or he has grossly over-inflated expectations.

With that in mind, going back and forth arguing over which is better is a waste of time.
Okay.

Well ive upped the price a little on that build £620 total to dramatically increase cpu performance.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/pRN9pg

Only a 60% increase in CPU performance than your mates........according to benchmarks. At top end Intel cpu`s to perform better. But thats not what we are looking at. At your price point we are looking at best bang for the buck. AMD have that crown by a long margin.

So for 20 more than your mate is asking you will get 60% more CPU performance and double the ram. Seems like a no brainier to me.

Why bother to overclock if you have a machine that will perform as you need without it. The machine Iv'e listed will nail his to the walls.
Why bother with water cooling if air type cooling will do the job? You don't hear it as soon as you put your head set on anyway, plus there is more risk of it leaking and ruining your machine.
Original post by Planto
The most constructive response I can give you is to tell your friend you aren't interested. The machine he's offering you is not worth £600 new, let alone second hand. Half of the components cannot even be bought new any more.

He's either trying to sell his old machine to your for way more than it's worth or he has grossly over-inflated expectations.

With that in mind, going back and forth arguing over which is better is a waste of time.

I think ive given the lad all the evidence he needs realy.

A machine with 60% more cpu performance and double the ram for the same price.
Reply 50
Why bother to overclock if you have a machine that will perform as you need without it.

Even if he wanted to, every piece of literature I'm reading suggests that even your original AMD chip blows that ancient i5 out of the water for overclocking potential.
Original post by Planto
Even if he wanted to, every piece of literature I'm reading suggests that even your original AMD chip blows that ancient i5 out of the water for overclocking potential.

60% out the box according to cpubenchmark.net.

Ive never had an overclocking experiment yield that much more potential.

This includes taking a gen 1 q6600 up to 4.9ghz.....
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by marco14196
You speak the truth

Original post by lilyobz

New AMD > old Intel. At the higher end, yeah, Intel is better. For your budget, AMD is fine.

Erm... no.

On higher end models, yeah.

The motherboard he claims to have is incompatible with the processor he claims to have.

good luck overclocking"

Don't need to, especially on a £600 budget.

But you have an SSD, which he doesn't. A big cheap HDD can be had for £30, it's a non issue.

He's an idiot.
How long had your friend owned this PC? Not worth 600 quid second hand.
Reply 55
Okay.

Well ive upped the price a little on that build £620 total to dramatically increase cpu performance.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/pRN9pg

Only a 60% increase in CPU performance than your mates........according to benchmarks. At top end Intel cpu`s to perform better. But thats not what we are looking at. At your price point we are looking at best bang for the buck. AMD have that crown by a long margin.

So for 20 more than your mate is asking you will get 60% more CPU performance and double the ram. Seems like a no brainier to me.

Why bother to overclock if you have a machine that will perform as you need without it. The machine Iv'e listed will nail his to the walls.
Why bother with water cooling if air type cooling will do the job? You don't hear it as soon as you put your head set on anyway, plus there is more risk of it leaking and ruining your machine.

Original post by Potally_Tissed
New AMD > old Intel. At the higher end, yeah, Intel is better. For your budget, AMD is fine.

Erm... no.

On higher end models, yeah.

The motherboard he claims to have is incompatible with the processor he claims to have.

Don't need to, especially on a £600 budget.

But you have an SSD, which he doesn't. A big cheap HDD can be had for £30, it's a non issue.

He's an idiot.

Bearing in mind what you've all said, I think its best i buy the parts myself and build a pc. Thank you all for your advice, I have a plan to spent £200 each month to buy the parts.
Original post by lilyobz
Bearing in mind what you've all said, I think its best i buy the parts myself and build a pc. Thank you all for your advice, I have a plan to spent £200 each month to buy the parts.

In list of order of things to buy. SSD, Case, Power supply.

Get the SSD and case second hand off ebay. Youll get a cheaper hard drive and a much nicer case for the money.

Then by the time you have the money for the rest of the parts the market will have dropped meaning better components are in reach within your budget.
Reply 57
In list of order of things to buy. SSD, Case, Power supply.

Get the SSD and case second hand off ebay. Youll get a cheaper hard drive and a much nicer case for the money.

Then by the time you have the money for the rest of the parts the market will have dropped meaning better components are in reach within your budget.

Im literally about to order the ssd, case and power supply now. You got any more advice to hand or any last minute adjustments?
Original post by lilyobz
Im literally about to order the ssd, case and power supply now. You got any more advice to hand or any last minute adjustments?

Go back to that list and look at the power required from the power supply. Multiply this by 1.2 and this is the minimum power you need. Better to buy a slightly more expensive power supply than a cheap crap one.

Link it before you pull the trigger.

Also a case you like and look around for reviews on it. It may look great but be a total piece of ****e.
Reply 59
Go back to that list and look at the power required from the power supply. Multiply this by 1.2 and this is the minimum power you need. Better to buy a slightly more expensive power supply than a cheap crap one.

Link it before you pull the trigger.

Also a case you like and look around for reviews on it. It may look great but be a total piece of ****e.

will take me a while trying to find the perfect case then, I'll get back to you m8 lets stay in touch :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending