The Student Room Group

Should I accept this offer?

I'm a second year Linguistics student at the University of Aberdeen, currently on my year abroad. For various reasons, I want to be closer to home (York) when I come back to the UK and so I applied for a transfer.

I've been given some offers for 2nd year entry, eg. Cardiff, Essex, Huddersfield... but I feel as though moving to Cardiff or Essex would be counterintuitive since I originally wanted to transfer to be closer to home.

Today I received an unconditional from the University of York! The only problem is it's for first year entry.

I have two years of my degree left anyway if I go back to Aberdeen. Is it worth making that three years to be closer to my family and have a York degree rather than an Aberdeen one?

(Manchester also got back to me today to say they would consider me for first year, if anyone has an opinion on that...)

Thanks! :biggrin:
Well, in my own opinion if you want to transfer you should definitely. I know the prospect of starting again is a bit annoying, but I look at it this way: you'll get more time to be a student, it's like getting an extra year out of that lack of responsibility of being a fully formed adult haha. Seriously though, it's probably going to be beneficial in the long run as you'll get a greater feel for the subject you're doing and you might even look more approachable by employees because of the fact you've studied in two prestigious universities as opposed to one.

I've just had a gander at a few league tables for linguistics and York is higher than Aberdeen, so, arguably, not only will you be receiving an education closer to home… you'll also be receiving a better education full stop!

Other factors that impede on your choice, however, might be the nightlife. I know you live in York so maybe it doesn't bother you, but some state its a bit quiet. Personally, it doesn't bother me, which is why I'm starting my studies there next academic year, so who knows how you feel!

Which brings me to my final positive note… I'm also going to be a first year at York next year, so you'll be graced with my wonderful presence!:colondollar: Cringe. Complete joke. But yeah, that's my two cents on the matter. Hope I've helped!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending