The Student Room Group

fp2 second order differentials question

Hi all,
Today in class we did a question which was to use x=e^u to solve a second order differential in terms of x and y. It was pretty tricky! Will this sort of question come up in an exam? For EDEXCEL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Hi all,
Today in class we did a question which was to use x=e^u to solve a second order differential in terms of x and y. It was pretty tricky! Will this sort of question come up in an exam? For EDEXCEL

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes
Original post by Phichi
Yes

Really? My teacher said no..... *confused*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hi all,

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know the exact content of FP2 (since I'm "premodular" :smile: ), but this sort of substitution is a fairly standard technique for transforming DEs, so it's worthwhile spending some time trying to get to grips with it.

They can't set questions requiring a ridiculous amount of algebra because that would take too much time, but something like x = e^u is pretty standard IMHO.
Reply 4
Hi all,

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it came up you would be given the substitution.
Reply 5
Really? My teacher said no..... *confused*

Posted from TSR Mobile

This type of question last came up on EDEXCEL, June 2014, IAL FP2.
The FP2 syllabus is identical for home students and IAL

Quick Reply

Latest