The Student Room Group

Russell group uni improve employability/postgraduate?

I am currently a second year law student at the university of the west of England, Bristol. I discovered that most top law firms recruit solely from Oxbridge or Russell group unis. As such amongst other reasons,I plan on taking a masters in law and economics at a russell group uni. UCL my first choice, although uni of Reading offers a more suitable module specification pertaining to me, they do not have as many professional contact as the London unis.

Does doing the postgraduate degree in a russell group uni improve my employability or ifs it pointless? Thanks
Conventional wisdom seems to be that a postgraduate degree is pointless unless it is the BCL or, maybe, the Cambridge LLM.

I'm currently doing an LLM at UCL if you have any questions about the course.
Reply 2
Coming across the BCL for the first time, just researched it. I had not checked the Oxbridge universities as I did not think I'll be able to get in; oh well

UCL though is my first choice and I'm working on finishing with a first in LLB at UWE, currently on track.

How is the program structured, is the department student friendly with regards to lecturer interactions and help with future career prospects. The career prospects is vital as I plan on doing the Masters immediately after my LLB and going straight into work after LLM.
Thanks.
Original post by Stephendj
I discovered that most top law firms recruit solely from Oxbridge or Russell group unis.

Then I suggest you re-check your sources. Whilst a few American firms recruit from a very narrow pool and there will always be a preponderance of Russell Group graduates, you will find trainees from other universities at all of the major English firms and Clifford Chance does blind recruiting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending