The Student Room Group

Ending gender roles: a question.

I just came across an anonymous article on a website I frequent, and it really made me think. The asker questioned whether " women going to start taking more responsibility for dating" and his "take" raised a very valid point:

Why has it remained the man's responsibility to ask women out?

Further down the article, the "taker" had included a quote from a woman. She was being interviewed on gender roles:

Here is an extract of the take:

"Now, I get that it's a bit different in the dating world, some women are approached a lot and recieve a lot of male attention. And for them, there is really no need for them to ask a guy out because they already have all the options they need. I say good for them. A smaller number of guys have this too, and I say good for them (and also I'm jealous). For the rest of us, it makes no sense to sit around waiting. I cannot tell you how many men my age get nowhere with women because they do nothing. And that's their own fault. But whenever I see a question from a pretty girl who nobody approaches, or a girl who may get approached but wants a specific man to ask her out, it drives me up the wall. Some people can get away with being passive and they get what they want. Good for them. But they're rare and you are NOT one of them. You are looking for male attention and not receiving it. So how do we solve this problem? You go out and you ask someone you like out on a date. It's that simple. It's the 21st century, it's no longer weird or too forward for a woman to ask a man out. It's not the taboo it once was. And so what if it was? Women got to this point of great relative equality by challenging taboos."

I ask you what you think about this?
I agree with that tbh, if people want to sit back and wait to be approached, that's their prerogative and if it works then great.

If it doesn't work and no one's banging your door down for a date then bloody well get up and ask someone instead. This applies to everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest