The Student Room Group
Reply 1
i might be applying to yale.

going to that school is like going to disney world though... they changed the tiles on the roof of one of their buildings three times because they didn't look old enough... that's so ridiculous...

i don't know if i want to go to school with that kind of mindset, despite the education being so good. there are many other schools with more healthy mindsets that are just as good academically.
Reply 2
well....which course r ya applyin for?.....and did ya do the sat?
I might, if I get rejected from LSE in the next week.
Reply 4
sorry to sound so naive, but could you tell me how i would go about doing this? I thought i couldnt, if i had 6 choices made on ucas??

Any idea when deadlines for this would be?
Reply 5
manusnair_msn
well....which course r ya applyin for?.....and did ya do the sat?

Yeah I did the SATs. Not so bad.

I want to study music. How about you?
Reply 6
Cosmos
i might be applying to yale.

going to that school is like going to disney world though... they changed the tiles on the roof of one of their buildings three times because they didn't look old enough... that's so ridiculous...

i don't know if i want to go to school with that kind of mindset, despite the education being so good. there are many other schools with more healthy mindsets that are just as good academically.

"More healthy mindsets?" Nice strawman. Do you honestly think students or faculty care in the least about the buildings' roofs or the policies behind them? Jeez.
I applied to both Harvard and Yale and have contacts at both. Unfortunately the deadline for applications for Fall 2007 has already passed.
Reply 8
Tajel
"More healthy mindsets?" Nice strawman. Do you honestly think students or faculty care in the least about the buildings' roofs or the policies behind them? Jeez.

Of course not every person at Yale cares about the idiotic things the school wastes money on. However, what the school spends it money on is a reflection of the attitude of the school towards education and, subsequently, the attitude the students and faculty subscribe to by being affiliated in their respective ways with the schools.

If a school spends on money on roofs instead of state-of-the-art science equipment, what sort of an impression do you think this would give of the school? Not a very good one, I'd think.

Anyway, I'm not saying that everyone who goes to Yale or teaches at Yale thinks that the way the school acts is great or agrees with what the school does. I am, however, saying that I don't think it's appropriate for a school that boasts itself as one of the premiere academic institutions to waste money on something like this when students attend for an education - not to walk around Disney Land.
They take pride in themselves, so what. Also one could argue that people are more inspired to learn in surroundings like those found at Yale than those found at Slough Polytechnic.
Cosmos
Of course not every person at Yale cares about the idiotic things the school wastes money on. However, what the school spends it money on is a reflection of the attitude of the school towards education and, subsequently, the attitude the students and faculty subscribe to by being affiliated in their respective ways with the schools.

If a school spends on money on roofs instead of state-of-the-art science equipment, what sort of an impression do you think this would give of the school? Not a very good one, I'd think.

Anyway, I'm not saying that everyone who goes to Yale or teaches at Yale thinks that the way the school acts is great or agrees with what the school does. I am, however, saying that I don't think it's appropriate for a school that boasts itself as one of the premiere academic institutions to waste money on something like this when students attend for an education - not to walk around Disney Land.

You've got to be kidding if you think Yale doesn't have state-of-the-art science equipment. In addition to wanting the university to look nice.
Reply 11
I'm not saying that they shouldn't make their school look nice or that they don't have good equipment. I'm just saying that it's over the top to bury roof tiles for months at a time to make them look older. I think it would be wiser to spend time and money on equipment instead of roof tiles. You know, spending money on things that actually help students learn instead of on things that just make alums happy. Yale has a beautiful campus - I'm not denying it. I think that they could spend their money in a more constructive way, that's all.
Reply 12
Cosmos
I'm not saying that they shouldn't make their school look nice or that they don't have good equipment. I'm just saying that it's over the top to bury roof tiles for months at a time to make them look older. I think it would be wiser to spend time and money on equipment instead of roof tiles. You know, spending money on things that actually help students learn instead of on things that just make alums happy. Yale has a beautiful campus - I'm not denying it. I think that they could spend their money in a more constructive way, that's all.

Other schools have these same exact stories--you just haven't heard them. This reminds me of the congressman who yap and yap about how every bill is going to affect the budget. Well yeah, but that's what the budget is for... to be spent!

They have a lot of money. And maybe the old tiles do improve quality of life for the students.

Can someone tell me why I care so much about defending Yale? I've confused myself.
Reply 13
zackinbaltimore
Other schools have these same exact stories--you just haven't heard them. This reminds me of the congressman who yap and yap about how every bill is going to affect the budget. Well yeah, but that's what the budget is for... to be spent!

They have a lot of money. And maybe the old tiles do improve quality of life for the students.

If I were a Yale student and I saw some tiles on a roof that didn't look like they were from the 1700's, my quality of life would definitely not be diminished. Does anyone look at roofs? Does anyone care about roofs? Why aren't they spending time and money working on improving their course offerings, recruiting professors, etc etc... yes I know that Yale has good course offerings and outstanding professors, but why not try to improve upon something that's already outstanding that will, in the end, raise the educational standard of the school instead of trying to improve upon an aesthetic element of the campus that doesn't do anything to help the school?

As for congressmen saying that certain bills will adversely affect the country's budget, well, what if the bills they're talking about demand spending billions of dollars a day on a war that does nothing positive for anyone anywhere in the world? Maybe that's an extreme parallel to Yale's tiles, but, frankly, those tiles don't do anything to help anyone either.
How much higher can the educational standards at Yale go...?!
Reply 15
Ok so if they can't offer an education better than the one they're already offering they should just give up trying to be better and just waste money on useless things?

I really think that every institution - even one that offers such an outstanding education to students - should constantly strive to offer more to more people. Why not spend the tile money on outreach programs? If they've already offered all they can to their own students, why not reach out to other people through outreach programs & community service programs?
I know I am going to face repercussions for posting this, but I happen to like pretty tiles. Not everything in life is about studying... sometimes I just like to appreciate some art and old buildings. Call me superficial if you like, and yes, I think these universities should spend money productively and try to reach out to as many people as possible, but at the end of the day, I think they can spend some money on tiles.
Reply 17
haha ok fair enough.

Latest

Trending

Trending