The Student Room Group

Q&A with Second Year Mental Health Student Nurse.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by claireestelle
I checked and Uclan gives all Student nurses a uniform, may not wear it much but asked and they wear them on wards sometimes, will be getting some smart clothes and my ward suitable shoes once i get bursary:smile:

Oh right. Thanks for the information. I am in my final year and studying at university of west London and mental health students don't wear uniform in practice. we just have to dress casual but wear trousers. We wear a magnetic student nurse badge.
I currently work for an NHS mental health trust and they are introducing uniforms for all inpatient nursing staff... Sadly!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CosmicJay
I currently work for an NHS mental health trust and they are introducing uniforms for all inpatient nursing staff... Sadly!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah in my area we just opened up a new MH inpatient unit and everyone has to wear uniforms on it sadly. Not decided whether it will be a good or bad thing yet, time will tell:biggrin:

Original post by Quiet:)
Oh right. Thanks for the information. I am in my final year and studying at university of west London and mental health students don't wear uniform in practice. we just have to dress casual but wear trousers. We wear a magnetic student nurse badge.

At UCLan we have sessions in the skills labs (our pretend wards) to practice our injection techniques, BLS, handwashing, patient contact etc. and whenever we go into the skills sessions, we have to wear our uniforms, no matter what field we are in. It's the only time I've had to wear mine though, which is upsetting, but like I mentioned, the new inpatient unit has opened up so hopefully I get a placement there next year and I will get to wear my uniform!
Original post by rachaelftw
Yeah in my area we just opened up a new MH inpatient unit and everyone has to wear uniforms on it sadly. Not decided whether it will be a good or bad thing yet, time will tell:biggrin:

I think it's a terrible idea - and all the patients I've talked to are really against the idea. The way one patient put it is that uniforms imply authority which creates a "them and us" culture, I like being able to blend in with the patients (you know besides the ID badge, alarm and leather key strap!).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CosmicJay

I think it's a terrible idea - and all the patients I've talked to are really against the idea. The way one patient put it is that uniforms imply authority which creates a "them and us" culture, I like being able to blend in with the patients (you know besides the ID badge, alarm and leather key strap!).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I can definitely feel myself agreeing with you. It's too formal, too institutionalised to be wearing uniforms in this day & age! You want to be able to be on a personal level with patients and service users, not wearing your uniform and creating this divide between them! It's quite a silly idea, but I think they'll find that out for themselves:smile:
Hopefully, you guys have enough petition for the uniform idea to be abolish. In London, I know for a fact that it will not happen because it is meant to be a relaxed environment. They were thinking about it before but a lot of the nurses are against it and that is why they are not doing it. What trust is introducing it? We do the same practical such as OCSEs, sim practice etc... but we have to wear our own top and trousers.
Hopefully, you guys have enough petition for the uniform idea to be abolish. In London, I know for a fact that it will not happen because it is meant to be a relaxed environment. They were thinking about it before but a lot of the nurses are against it and that is why they are not doing it. What trust is introducing it? We do the same practical such as OCSEs, sim practice etc... but we have to wear our own top and trousers.

Hehe hopefully the Trust will change their mind pretty quickly! I wouldn't mind too much if it was say a pair of black trousers (which almost everyone wears anyway) and say a polo shirt - that looks pretty casual but could be classed as a uniform. Interestingly some of the older nurses talk about it as a backwards step because when they first trained they were required to wear a white coat, one former patient (of quite an old age) said that when he was first in hospital the nurses were given a uniform allowance, to buy two suits for the wards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I prefer no uniform. I wear trousers (mostly black or grey) and like any jumper or tops that are long sleeve that I can roll up or three quarter length.
I don't think it's ethical to wear uniform but like you said there has been many debates about this. i know learning disability student nurses have to wear uniform at some of their placements. We can debate on this all day but i'm glad that i don't have to wear uniform. is it just the top half or the full thing?
I prefer no uniform. I wear trousers (mostly black or grey) and like any jumper or tops that are long sleeve that I can roll up or three quarter length.
I don't think it's ethical to wear uniform but like you said there has been many debates about this. i know learning disability student nurses have to wear uniform at some of their placements. We can debate on this all day but i'm glad that i don't have to wear uniform. is it just the top half or the full thing?

The plan is to have a branded tunic, with specific colours for Support Worker, Staff Nurses, Charge Nurses, etc, then you have to wear your own pair of black dress trousers with it. I can understand Neuro-rehab, older persons, dementia units wearing uniform but I agree with the ethics point you make for acute, forensic and children's units.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, the tunic is not a bad idea at all. I agree with you on the uniform should be in neuro-rehab, older persons, dementia units. Are community nurses meant to wear uniform as well?

True, uniform will not be appropriate in a forensic and acute mental health wards.
How often do you get hit on by old men who die shortly after?
Original post by Protégé
How often do you get hit on by old men who die shortly after?

On all my placements it's been quite rare for patients and service users to die. They're mentally unwell but are getting the help they need. It's not normally physical health issues they're struggling with:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, the tunic is not a bad idea at all. I agree with you on the uniform should be in neuro-rehab, older persons, dementia units. Are community nurses meant to wear uniform as well?

True, uniform will not be appropriate in a forensic and acute mental health wards.

No, uniforms won't be worn by staff in the community, simply to be more discrete when on home visits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
one thing i ve been wondering is do you learn much psychological theories or do you not need to?
( i ve been finding some psychology stuff in a couple of nursing textbooks i ve picked up)
one thing i ve been wondering is do you learn much psychological theories or do you not need to?
( i ve been finding some psychology stuff in a couple of nursing textbooks i ve picked up)

Sorry for the late reply, I work over the weekends, so I've been quite busy:^_^:
By psychological theories do you mean like cognitive, behavioural, social learning theory etc?
If so, no we do nothing about that, we just do Anatomy & Physiology, practical skills, ethics and Medicines Management & Influences on health.
Nothing about where it came from and why, I did that in Psychology at college, I think it's a little too in depth, unless you were doing a psychology degree maybe.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by rachaelftw
Sorry for the late reply, I work over the weekends, so I've been quite busy:^_^:
By psychological theories do you mean like cognitive, behavioural, social learning theory etc?
If so, no we do nothing about that, we just do Anatomy & Physiology, practical skills, ethics and Medicines Management & Influences on health.
Nothing about where it came from and why, I did that in Psychology at college, I think it's a little too in depth, unless you were doing a psychology degree maybe.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

yes i did. i just noticed a chapter on psychology in my nursing companion book and had wondered why on earth it was there, i d presume we wouldn't really need to know anything like that so thought it was a little strange.
actually my boyfriends joint degree is partially in psychology:P
yes i did. i just noticed a chapter on psychology in my nursing companion book and had wondered why on earth it was there, i d presume we wouldn't really need to know anything like that so thought it was a little strange.
actually my boyfriends joint degree is partially in psychology:P

Yeah:biggrin: It's all very interesting stuff, and I find it really good to read about, but unfortunately you don't learn about it on the course:frown:
And ooh, maybe he can give you a bit of background, it's always good to know:tongue:!
Just to let you know that mental health nurses currently don't wear specific uniform. you just have to dress smart/casual on placement.

Learning disability nurses don't wear uniform either. As far as I am aware of, the only nursing profession that wears uniform is child and adult student/ registered nurses.

Uniforms are being introduced to more and more mental health inpatient wards where I live. I'm on the fence about it, but i think it makes trained easily distinguishable from untrained to visitors and new patients. Our student uniform is U G L Y though!!
Original post by upagumtree
Uniforms are being introduced to more and more mental health inpatient wards where I live. I'm on the fence about it, but i think it makes trained easily distinguishable from untrained to visitors and new patients. Our student uniform is U G L Y though!!

Yeah it's good in that respect, but then it really does bring in the divide between patients and staff - a kind of you & them divide. It's professional and will help you maintain that level of professionalism etc, but patients may find you less approachable and find it quite off-putting. I don't know, I just feel like it will really put a barrier up between me and service users, personally. I like how informal it is now and how easy it makes it to create therapeutic relationships. But who knows, we'll see :biggrin:
Hi,
I'm thinking of firming my offer for UClan and was just wondering how you find the placements for mental health?
Do you find the mentors helpful and the uni supportive?
I've heard the placements are great for UClan you see.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending