The Student Room Group

Am I right to be upset?

I am seeing this guy and have been for about 4 months.

The thing I am getting upset about is the way he talks about my body. I have a very small frame, I barely have any boobs and I don't have a big bum (that seems to be all the rage now).

But he will have ''banter'' with me and he will call me things like flat back and pancake.........:frown: I told him my insecurities about my boobs and bum and he still brings them up to take the piss out of me sometimes.

I spoke to him about it and said it actually hurts me when he says that and I don't get personal with him or bring up things that would make him feel self-conscious. His reply was ''Well your bum and boobs are small, I'm not going to lie to you but it's not all about the bum or the boobs, you have a pretty face and nice hair''. :rolleyes:

The other day he was doing some exercises and told me I should start squatting as it will give me a bigger booty. He doesn't understand that I squatted for bloody months because I thought it might make it bigger and it didn't AT ALL.

I've noticed that the girls he's been out with before are much more womanly than me in body, like they're quite curvaceous and it doesn't make me feel good about my body.

What can I do TSR? I've tried to explain it to him but he just takes it as a joke and I'm done with feeling upset about my bum and boobs like I can't help that I wasn't blessed in that area.
Reply 1
Fair to be upset, and it sounds as though you have tried to address this maturely already. It depends on the rest of the relationship, I suppose, but the signs don't look good, as he doesn't seem to be very mature or considerate.

Aside from anything else, it's stupid - insulting a woman's body is hardly the best way to get into her pants!
Original post by Anonymous

The thing I am getting upset about is the way he talks about my body. I have a very small frame, I barely have any boobs and I don't have a big bum (that seems to be all the rage now).

But he will have ''banter'' with me and he will call me things like flat back and pancake.........:frown: I told him my insecurities about my boobs and bum and he still brings them up to take the piss out of me sometimes.

I spoke to him about it and said it actually hurts me when he says that and I don't get personal with him or bring up things that would make him feel self-conscious. His reply was ''Well your bum and boobs are small, I'm not going to lie to you but it's not all about the bum or the boobs, you have a pretty face and nice hair''. :rolleyes:

The other day he was doing some exercises and told me I should start squatting as it will give me a bigger booty. He doesn't understand that I squatted for bloody months because I thought it might make it bigger and it didn't AT ALL.

I've noticed that the girls he's been out with before are much more womanly than me in body, like they're quite curvaceous and it doesn't make me feel good about my body.

What can I do TSR? I've tried to explain it to him but he just takes it as a joke and I'm done with feeling upset about my bum and boobs like I can't help that I wasn't blessed in that area.

My advice? Start squatting.
I can't understand why he's with you. :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by OU Student
I can't understand why he's with you. :s-smilie:

Because I have a nice face and hair, apparently.........
Reply 5
Just give him a flying kick from next time
Because I have a nice face and hair, apparently.........

could have a nice bum too if you started squatting.
Reply 7
If he doesn't care enough about your feelings about the matter and still continues to take the piss I question whether he really cares all that much about you.

If it were me and my boyfriend was taking the piss out of something he knows I'm insecure about and have asked him to stop and he continued I would leave him, because it just to me shows he doesn't care how you feel at all. The same way I would completely understand if a guy broke up with a girl because she kept taking the piss out of his penis size. It is not nice and it not acceptable when it has already been explained that it hurts.
I'm someone who would try and make a joke about it, but as soon as I get told that it's not lightening the mood, and/or it's making things worse for you, I'd stop. Like, this one girl I like, she went through anorexia, self-harming and abuse. To lighten things up, I would make jokes about her birth dad, who she's never met, about eating and eating disorders, cutting and how I've got enough scars already. Just anything what so ever, that is even remotely funny, so that it took her mind off it for a split second.
Reply 9
I'm someone who would try and make a joke about it, but as soon as I get told that it's not lightening the mood, and/or it's making things worse for you, I'd stop. Like, this one girl I like, she went through anorexia, self-harming and abuse. To lighten things up, I would make jokes about her birth dad, who she's never met, about eating and eating disorders, cutting and how I've got enough scars already. Just anything what so ever, that is even remotely funny, so that it took her mind off it for a split second.

Did you seriously just say you would make jokes about certain sensitive subjects....to take her mind off those sensitive subjects?

That doesn't even make sense. :confused:
I know, but it always seemed to work. I think me making fun of those sensitive topics kind of made her take her situation more light-heartedly than she was, I'm not sure. Either way, it almost always worked, so I must have been doing something right.
Reply 11
I know, but it always seemed to work. I think me making fun of those sensitive topics kind of made her take her situation more light-heartedly than she was, I'm not sure. Either way, it almost always worked, so I must have been doing something right.

Fair enough on making it more light hearted...but it definitely doesn't distract from the topics :')

just be careful with that approach, it works for some people but for others it can really hit hard and do the opposite of what you aim for.
Original post by keladry
Fair enough on making it more light hearted...but it definitely doesn't distract from the topics :')

just be careful with that approach, it works for some people but for others it can really hit hard and do the opposite of what you aim for.

Very true, like it worked for me with her, but had I not gone through some of the stuff I had, or she gone through different things, or whatever, it would not work at all. Also, it doesn't work for certain things, like, when we were talking about how she was sexually abused a few years ago, nothing could take her mind off of it, and I didn't even try, because there's nothing I could say there, without sounding like a judgemental b*****d or hurting her.

Anyway, back to the OP,

My girl wasn't either, and I still think she's amazing, both looks wise, and otherwise. He probably doesn't mean anything by it, but if he's at all serious, I don't think you should be with him. :frown:
i could understand this banter if you were happy in who you are. But throwing someones insecurities in thier face like that is just needlessly harsh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending