The Student Room Group

"How To Avoid Rape Tips" Shockingly Upsets Men on The Interwebz

Twitter is abuzz today, and some men are crying misandry, over a series of tongue-in-cheek “rape prevention tips” posted by the American comedian Sarah Silverman on March 21. The unapologetically potty-mouthed Emmy-winner tweeted the list, based off a blog post from a few years ago, out to her followers with the suggestion, “send to all the men in ur life.” It was quickly re-tweeted thousands of times.

The list highlights a common double standard in the way we talk about rape prevention. Unlike countless guides directing women on how to stay safe from rape, these tips are aimed at potential perpetrators. It includes such gems as “When you encounter a woman who is asleep, the safest course of action is to not rape her,” “Don’t put drugs in women’s drinks,” and my personal favorite: “Carry a rape whistle. If you find that you are about to rape someone, blow the whistle until someone comes to stop you.”

Predictably, not everyone was pleased. Silverman’s feed was crowded with comments, plenty complaining that the list was offensive or unfair to men.

I liked it. It was insightful. I don't see what the fuss is about. I will try to do all 10!

Scroll to see replies

We should just put these on every billboard. The rape problem is now fixed.
Reply 2
This is good, we should be teaching men not to rape and stop victim blaming. Institutionalized violence towards women must stop.

the violence towards women by men has to stop , mrapists(male rapists) should be executed! Sometimes I just hate men!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sacca
This is good, we should be teaching men not to rape and stop victim blaming. Institutionalized violence towards women must stop.

Should we teach murderers not to murder as well?

Hang on, we already do that but people still get murdered, I wonder why.
Reply 4
Original post by DiddyDec

beacause of patriachy. rape culture is endemic in our society and university campuses, look at page 3 and david cameron refusing to identify as feminist.
(edited 8 years ago)
Tbh this is on par with what I read awhile ago about ways for women to "prevent" rape, so this doesn't exactly shock me. Both are as awful as each other.
Original post by sacca
beacause of patriachy. rape culture is endemic in our society and university campuses, look at page 3 and david cameron refusing to identify as feminist. this is why 1/5 women are raped.

I'm finding it hard to tell if you're being satirical or not.
Original post by sacca
beacause of patriachy. rape culture is endemic in our society and university campuses, look at page 3 and david cameron refusing to identify as feminist. this is why 1/5 women are raped.

So the Patriarchy causes murder? Please do tell me how.

You got a source on that 1/5?
Reply 8
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
I'm finding it hard to tell if you're being satirical or not.

as soon as a PoC speaks out they aren't taken seriously #racism#patriachy#feminism
So basically only men rape and only women get raped.
Original post by sacca
as soon as a PoC speaks out they aren't taken seriously #racism#patriachy#feminism

Oh ok, so it is satire. Thanks for clearing that up. :smile:
It's stupid because it mocks sensible advice, eg having a friend to look out for you so you aren't alone. Nobody complains when that advice is given for reducing your risk from other crimes.

Original post by sacca

Must be a joke, surely...
Reply 12
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Oh ok, so it is satire. Thanks for clearing that up. :smile:

Look this isn't a joke.
We live in a sexist and racist culture, I'm just pointing this out and people can't seem to engage, wonder why? Perhaps it benefits them?
Anyway, back to the topic of the thread.

I found those tips quite funny, I don't see why anyone would get upset or offended over them.
Can't see why anyone would get offended at the list?

It works both ways. Obviously stopping men from being rapists is top priority but you can't do a short term fix for that. If somebody is ok with raping something that will require a massive overhaul of their personality. As a short term fix, telling women to avoid dark alleys alone at night will at least help a bit, so I don't see why people would be offended by sensible advice given to women to avoid rape either. Top priority, of course, should be a long term solution to stop men growing up thinking it's somehow ok to rape people (men get raped too remember...)
Original post by sacca

The first five words are a good reason to not read the rest.

Because people who teach murder are better teachers than those who teach against it.
Original post by sacca

Yeah because I think rapists were under the impression that rape wasn't wrong?

Burglars and murderers do the things they do because they are selfishly evil not because they just had no idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zedeneye1
Because people who teach murder are better teachers than those who teach against it.

We teach everyone not to commit crime, yet crime is still committed.
We teach everyone not to commit crime, yet crime is still committed.

Because people teaching people to commit crime are better teachers than teachers teaching people not to commit crime.

Latest