The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

manchester university

hey guys, i'm planning on going to the university of Manchester this forthcoming September and am looking at accommodation. I know it's such a silly question but I have nobody else to ask! so my question is this: is a non-gender specific hall better than a female-only hall? I don't mean to be stereotypical but I just don't want where I am staying to be too segregated or too rowdy and boisterous. I have this view partly because a close friend of mine had a very unpleasant experience. Hope nobody gets offended at this.
It depends on whether you would personally prefer to only live with girls or not. For most people, I would say yes, a mixed hall is better than a single sex hall. Unless you have a specific reason to, I don't see why anyone would choose the latter.

The vast majority of UoM's halls are mixed anyway, only St Gabriel's is female-only.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
it`s always best with a mixed hall! It`s a more fun, as long as you don`t sleep with your flatmates :-P
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
It depends on whether you would personally prefer to only live with girls or not. For most people, I would say yes, a mixed hall is better than a single sex hall. Unless you have a specific reason to, I don't see why anyone would choose the latter.

The vast majority of UoM's halls are mixed anyway, only St Gabriel's is female-only.

i don't really have any preference it's just i'm a strict christian. if i were to apply for accommodation in a university owned hall, would there be privacy measures put in place that would mean that nobody else would be allowed in my room? and maybe if i feel uncomfortable with somebody doing something, could something be done? also is it true that i can choose to move out and live in a different residence, if so would this be a difficult process? sorry for the many questions :smile:
Original post by Petro_99
it`s always best with a mixed hall! It`s a more fun, as long as you don`t sleep with your flatmates :-P

are you currently at the university?
Original post by isthisaquestion
i don't really have any preference it's just i'm a strict christian. if i were to apply for accommodation in a university owned hall, would there be privacy measures put in place that would mean that nobody else would be allowed in my room? and maybe if i feel uncomfortable with somebody doing something, could something be done? also is it true that i can choose to move out and live in a different residence, if so would this be a difficult process? sorry for the many questions :smile:

All rooms have individual locks on them and yes, there is plenty of support available if you have any problems with your flatmates. I'm not sure what you're imagining might happen to make you feel uncomfortable though? University halls aren't scary places, it's very rare for anyone to have any bad experiences while living in them.

You are able to switch halls if you don't like where you're living, you have the option to request a change at the beginning of October. I'm not sure how difficult the process is but as far as I'm aware, people changing rooms isn't that uncommon.
are you currently at the university?

yes at Manchester University
yes at Manchester University

And do you like in mixed sex accommodation? If so, how do you find it?
Original post by Anna.A123
And do you like in mixed sex accommodation? If so, how do you find it?

In my first year I was in mixed accommodation- it was great, we really got on and went out alot and helped each other out!

I know some people prefer all girls, it really depends on what your after!
In my first year I was in mixed accommodation- it was great, we really got on and went out alot and helped each other out!

I know some people prefer all girls, it really depends on what your after!

So you're now in single sex? And if so how come? If you don't mind my asking

Im a Christian and 2 of the people on my corridor are strict Christians. I live in a mixed hall, and as an only child with not a huge amount of guy-friends was a bit wierded out by the fact that I guys living either side of me, but I dont talk to one of them(Apart from hi and bye, hearing his music and him and his gf... yeah) and the other guys on my corridor are gen some of the nicest guys I know. You can always lock your door when your in as well as when you leave.
You can move, I know people who have done, though I m not sure what the process is.
There are support, but as long as you make it clear what you think early on... people should get the idea.
Original post by Soontobesuper
Im a Christian and 2 of the people on my corridor are strict Christians. I live in a mixed hall, and as an only child with not a huge amount of guy-friends was a bit wierded out by the fact that I guys living either side of me, but I dont talk to one of them(Apart from hi and bye, hearing his music and him and his gf... yeah) and the other guys on my corridor are gen some of the nicest guys I know. You can always lock your door when your in as well as when you leave.
You can move, I know people who have done, though I m not sure what the process is.
There are support, but as long as you make it clear what you think early on... people should get the idea.

Thanks a lot for the reply

There's individual locks on each bedroom door, and as the cleaners only do communal areas, even they won't come in.

It depends on what's making you feel uncomfortable - if it's something they're entitled to do (e.g. girlfriend coming to stay for a couple of nights, drinking etc) then nothing will be done. If it was something like sexual harassment, then something will be done (see the We Get It campaign).

You can move into different uni halls after 1st October. This isn't a difficult process, there just have to be spaces in your new halls. However, unless you are dropping out of uni altogether you will have to keep paying for halls until the end of the year, so moving out of uni halls altogether is impractical.

Have you had a look at the Christian Soc? You'll be able to meet like-minded people there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
There's individual locks on each bedroom door, and as the cleaners only do communal areas, even they won't come in.

It depends on what's making you feel uncomfortable - if it's something they're entitled to do (e.g. girlfriend coming to stay for a couple of nights, drinking etc) then nothing will be done. If it was something like sexual harassment, then something will be done (see the We Get It campaign).

You can move into different uni halls after 1st October. This isn't a difficult process, there just have to be spaces in your new halls. However, unless you are dropping out of uni altogether you will have to keep paying for halls until the end of the year, so moving out of uni halls altogether is impractical.

Have you had a look at the Christian Soc? You'll be able to meet like-minded people there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a buncj for your reply, and no I haven't checked out the society, I will now though! Your advice really helped
Hey.

I am looking for single ensuite accommodation. I want them to be catered as it will be my first year of study so I want to be safe and cheap aswell.

What choices can I have? Also are there any inter collegiate halls like UoM's halls?
Original post by AlinaAgha
Hey.

I am looking for single ensuite accommodation. I want them to be catered as it will be my first year of study so I want to be safe and cheap aswell.

What choices can I have? Also are there any inter collegiate halls like UoM's halls?

Read the Accommodation FAQ, it's got information on all the different halls and campuses. There are 12 single ensuite halls to choose from.

There are plenty of private halls in Manchester that are available to students from any university/college (I assume that's what you meant by 'inter-collegiate'), however I wouldn't recommend them. University-owned halls are generally superior to privately-owned ones for a number of reasons.
(edited 9 years ago)
ThankYou so much for your answer. I have Woolten Hall as my first preference. How it it/?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending