The Student Room Group

Secret ex-Muslims

Although not extreme, my family aren't moderate enough to accept me as agnostic or atheist. And so I keep it a secret. Anyone else here in the same situation? How are you coping? For me, it's been easy after I moved out for university, but when I graduate I'll need to live with my family again until I can get my own place. So, not quite looking forward to graduating!
There is an ex-Muslim society on here, that's probably the best place to look.
Edit:here is the link http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2452611
(edited 9 years ago)
They don't know. I don't know how they'll react to it. We've had family members in the past leave Islam and be totally open about it, but I'm not them. I'm the baby of my family - the one who was borderline-extremist at one point. They could either blow up or they might ignore it and act like it isn't happening. I'm already the black sheep of my family and have caused enough trouble by just being me so I keep it quiet to maintain harmony.

It's not a big deal to me. You say you're in uni so I'm assuming you're around the same age as me. Once you've been with Islam for so long the lifestyle (the liberal kind - not the extremist kind) just becomes second nature. For the most part it is easy, but there are times where it's just really ****ing difficult because although my family are liberal, they're not as liberal as I'd like them to be. I think the only way I'm coping is knowing that once I get married anything will go because my fiance (Muslim, but he has the sex life of a man whore so he's veeerrry liberal) knows about it and is fine with it. The only thing about him being Muslim that gets to me is that he eats only halal. That's the biggest issue for me because when you want a McDonald's burger you just want a freaking McDonald's burger. :eek: Hmm, I just realised for as long as we've been together I never asked him if he'd be fine with me eating haram foods with him present. Considering the things he's done in the past, he most probably won't say no. :mmm: Yesterday my sisters and I went to McDonalds and I sooooooooooooo badly wanted a normal burger with normal meat and normal cheese and all that other stuff, but I couldn't get it because they'd get suspicious. :cry2:
My family don't seek clear identify and label themselves as Muslims clear and loud like many do because they seek comfort in that identity. They just see themselves as people, or Pakistani British citizens.

I have become not very religious at all and skeptical and if my family knew, they wouldn't treat me any differently. They are very moderate anyway, although believe in the religion.
HELL NO CANT IMAGINE IF I DID DAt.

ALSO, IF UR NOT A MUSLIM UR NOT A MUSLIM DONT PRETEND TO BE ONE, IF YOU GET KICKED OUT OF THE HOUSE, SO BE IT

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending