The Student Room Group

If you're earning less than £30,000 per year you may as well be on the dole PROOF!

lets say you earn £25k per year and you are renting like many others or tbh even if your not this example still applies.

According to Money Savings website you would pay:

£2,880
income tax and £2,033 in National Insurance

if we add these together we get £4913

so lets just round that up to £5000 and take the amount awat from 25K which would leave you with £20000.

Lets say you are renting a house and its costing you 700 per month plus council tax and electricity bills, internet, food etc etc. lets call it 1300 in total (and thats cheap tbh) and times that by 12 to represent the total cost of the year we have a total of £15600 going out on these costs and thats no including cost of your car insurance, travel cost, clothing and other costs that spring up. So working with the numbers we have we can do 20000-15600 and we are left with £4600 so you have worked all year for this amount, the rest of the money has been spent on basic human survival imposed upon us by the higher powers. if you wanted to calculate further it would work out for a whole year you would earn £12.35 per day.

so all in all you wont be living a life of luxury especially if you're single, and tbh even if you earned 30k you would still be a white collar slave.

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Can confirm. I earn that amount as a single person AND I have a lodger and I'm pretty much perpetually broke.
My rent costs me £275/month, and I could have gone cheaper elsewhere. It's not how big your pay packet is, it's what you do with it. :wink:
But isn't the reason you work = to survive, it's not always about having loads of disposable income left/ but I get your point. This is one of the reasons I want to start a business - be my own boss (probably make even less but there's better satifaction :P)
Reply 4
That seems pretty accurate. I did read an article that a high percentage of people aged 21-30 (more men than women) still with their parents to save up so that is always an option to consider. The downfalls of living with parents are that a lot of people look down on you if you decide to do this, especially girls, and it restricts your freedom to do whatever you want. So what do you do?
Reply 5
Original post by superwolf
My rent costs me £275/month, and I could have gone cheaper elsewhere. It's not how big your pay packet is, it's what you do with it. :wink:

Who do you live with and what accomidation type?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P
Who do you live with and what accomidation type?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A fellow TSRian, and it's a 3-bedroom house.
Original post by T.I.P
lets say you earn £25k per year and you are renting like many others or tbh even if your not this example still applies.

£2,880

so lets just round that up to £5000 and take the amount awat from 25K which would leave you with £20000.

Lets say you are renting a house and its costing you 700 per month plus council tax and electricity bills, internet, food etc etc. lets call it 1300 in total (and thats cheap tbh) and times that by 12 to represent the total cost of the year we have a total of £15600 going out on these costs and thats no including cost of your car insurance, travel cost, clothing and other costs that spring up. So working with the numbers we have we can do 20000-15600 and we are left with £4600 so you have worked all year for this amount, the rest of the money has been spent on basic human survival imposed upon us by the higher powers. if you wanted to calculate further it would work out for a whole year you would earn £12.35 per day.

so all in all you wont be living a life of luxury especially if you're single, and tbh even if you earned 30k you would still be a white collar slave.

£4600 disposable cash is still more than I have ever had in a year.
Reply 8
Original post by superwolf
A fellow TSRian, and it's a 3-bedroom house.

Mystery solved..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P

£2,880

This argument fails on lots of levels the first is a very high rent of £700 a month my mam's rent would be around £400 a month if she worked but lets just assume that is the rent you have to pay.You say you have to spend £1300 a month now lets take off the £700 a month and £120 council tax that means the rest of these costs are £480 a month which is quite a bit over the roughly £70 a week(£300 a month on your JSA) so you wouldn't be able to afford all this on the dole, so you need to add £180 a month at least to your argument and probably really £480 a month as rent isn't usually that high and also £12.35 a day is quite a large amount that saves you up £4600 a year that is quite a lot of spare money?Obviously you don't expect a life of luxury as that is still below the mean wage and if you add that £480 a month on that gives you an extra £5760 to spend on things plus the £4600 a year thats £10360 a year that would amount to about 100k in 10 years and your wage would probably go up to.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by T.I.P
Mystery solved..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't follow you. I live in a house with 1.5 bedrooms per person, for less than half the rent you stated. Feels like a winning situation to me! :wizard:
This is why benefits need to be locked down and stricter than they are now. You shouldn't be better off on benefits than you are working.
Hence the proposed 23k cap on benefits per family I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
your figures are wrong
Yeah in money terms you may as well be on the dole but jeez what a waste of a life dole dossing off the government and doing nothing for your own self worth. Go do a job thats useful or helps others and get a sense of pride instead of being lazy and expecting things to just be given to you. People don't work for the money generally, the world needs to learn this. Also I'm not quite sure where you're living for £700 per month excluding bills but maybe move to a more normal cheaper area....
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Physflop
Yeah in money terms you may as well be on the dole but jeez what a waste of a life dole dossing off the government and doing nothing for your own self worth. Go do a job thats useful or helps others and get a sense of pride instead of being lazy and expecting things to just be given to you. People don't work for the money generally, the world needs to learn this. Also I'm not quite sure where you're living for £700 per month excluding bills but maybe move to a more normal cheaper area....

Agreed, no idea how people can sit around all day and do nothing, I get bored even on weekends!! £700 is a lot, way way way too much actually.
Reply 16
Original post by owwwww2
That seems pretty accurate. I did read an article that a high percentage of people aged 21-30 (more men than women) still with their parents to save up so that is always an option to consider. The downfalls of living with parents are that a lot of people look down on you if you decide to do this, especially girls, and it restricts your freedom to do whatever you want. So what do you do?

Given one had to choose then it would make more sense to live with family and save. If a girl looked down on you for something like that then she ain't worth it.
Original post by scrunkie
This is why benefits need to be locked down and stricter than they are now. You shouldn't be better off on benefits than you are working.

I agree that people on benefits must work for their benefits.
Original post by T.I.P

£2,880

Thinking about this even more I'm baffled at your rent prices here! I used to rent for £300 a month INCLUDING electric and gas!!!!! And I know someone who lives in a nice area, 2 bedroomed house with fields out the back, for £500 a month. So maybe you should take into account that people earning 25K would not be living in a house for £700 a month hahaha
F*** it, buy a tent and live on a campsite with showers.

Latest

Trending

Trending