The Student Room Group

Choosing to firm and reject your offers

I was just wondering how everyone was going about with firming and rejecting their offers, as I'm quite confused about mine. Miraculously I got an offer to study Geography BSc at Durham (A*AA) Kings, Exeter and Bristol (all AAB). However, upon my second visit to Durham I realised that I didn't like the town, but having been lucky enough to get an offer it seems almost an act of insanity to reject it. So yes - I would really appreciate to hear your views on how you're choosing where to study, and perhaps if you wouldn't mind letting me know you're thoughts as to what I should do with mine. Thanks!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by SCatherine
I was just wondering how everyone was going about with firming and rejecting their offers, as I'm quite confused about mine. Miraculously I got an offer to study Geography BSc at Durham (A*AA) Kings, Exeter and Bristol (all AAB). However, upon my second visit to Durham I realised that I didn't like the town, but having been lucky enough to get an offer it seems almost an act of insanity to reject it. So yes - I would really appreciate to hear your views on how you're choosing where to study, and perhaps if you wouldn't mind letting me know you're thoughts as to what I should do with mine. Thanks!

It's not an act of insanity if you think you might not be happy there. You definitely don't have to firm Durham just because it's Durham.

Try and approach your decision with a cool head. First of all compare the courses. Is the Durham course much better than the others? Does it offer modules that would you absolutely love to do and which are not available at any of the others? Or is it less appealing? Does it have compulsory modules that you might not want to do and which are not included on the other courses?

Now consider what you would have done if you had been rejected by Durham instead of receiving an offer? How upset would you have been? Would you have simply moved on and chosen from your other offers without a second thought? If so, then perhaps Durham isn't for you. On the other hand, if you would have been really upset...

Next, since you say you didn't like the town at Durham, how does it compare to the others? If it would help, draw up a chart with pros and cons for each. It may sound old-fashioned but sometimes it helps to see it all spread out at once before your eyes. Ask yourself if it's worth spending 3 (or more) years in a town that you don't really like just because of the uni.

Whatever you do, don't make a rush decision. You still have over a month to decide so allow yourself the time to think it all through before clicking on the "make this my firm choice" button.

Hope this has helped a bit.
Good luck with your choice. :smile:
Reply 3
Don't feel pressured to firm Durham just for the sake of receiving an offer because you may regret it later on. You still have time to think about it. If you're not an international student then perhaps try visiting every uni. If you already have then ask your self what city you'd be best suited in. Do you prefer to live in London or other cities?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lots of advice about making Firm & Insurance choices here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Firm_and_insurance_choices

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending