The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Need pro's of studying at UCL

The way things have turned out means I'll probably be firming UCL and insuring Nottingham for Economics. I was hoping to firm Warwick but was rejected. I see UCL as noisy, expensive, no sense of community, bad accommodation, less availability of sports without having to travel far, cramped and too many unsocial students/too many people in the area who aren't students.

I'm also worried about Economics being too mathematical at UCL and I'll struggle and won't enjoy the degree

Now that I'm likely to end up going there.. I need your help to give me a much more positive view of UCL :s-smilie:

I know theres a career benefit of UCL compared to Warwick but I don't really care about that

Thanks in advance
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by User25
The way things have turned out means I'll probably be firming UCL and insuring Nottingham for Economics. I was hoping to firm Warwick but was rejected. I see UCL as noisy, expensive, no sense of community, bad accommodation, less availability of sports without having to travel far, cramped and too many unsocial students/too many people in the area who aren't students.

I'm also worried about Economics being too mathematical at UCL and I'll struggle and won't enjoy the degree

Now that I'm likely to end up going there.. I need your help to give me a much more positive view of UCL :s-smilie:

I know theres a career benefit of UCL compared to Warwick but I don't really care about that

Thanks in advance

Why on Earth would you go for Economics if you don't enjoy Mathematics and you say you don't care about career opportunities? Econ will be a lot of Maths no matter where you go... The difference of Maths lvl between courses is very little, I say.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
UCL has very positive international reputation. Warwick is unkown.

Warwick is also an eyesore, and London is not.

Also, why the **** would you apply for economics if you do not like Maths?

Econ in the UK is well known for being extremely mathematical.
Reply 3
Original post by emanueladiana
Why on Earth would you go for Economics if you don't enjoy Mathematics and you say you don't care about career opportunities? Econ will be a lot of Maths no matter where you go... The difference of Maths lvl between courses is very little, I say.

Original post by CodenamePingu
UCL has very positive international reputation. Warwick is unkown.

Warwick is also an eyesore, and London is not.

Also, why the **** would you apply for economics if you do not like Maths?

Econ in the UK is well known for being extremely mathematical.

Never said I didn't like maths, just not sure if I'll be good enough

I said I don't care about the marginal difference of career opportunities compared to Warwick
Original post by User25

Oh, I get those moments too sometimes. I guess it all depends on your self confidence.
Original post by User25

I said I don't care about the marginal difference of career opportunities compared to Warwick

I got one D and one C at A level yet I got an offer from UCL...think how I feel haha. I've doubted myself plenty, the answer is to just have some self confidence :smile: That's what got me my offer in the first place. I'm starting in 2015 and from what I have seen of the uni and London in general is that the teaching is excellent, the lecturers are really enthusiastic and care about your progress and the city is fantastic in terms of opportunity.
Reply 6
Original post by emanueladiana
Oh, I get those moments too sometimes. I guess it all depends on your self confidence.

I'm confident enough to know that when I struggle I'll be able to work through it, just wanna have time to do a bunch of other stuff too
Reply 7
Original post by xleoanimusx
I got one D and one C at A level yet I got an offer from UCL...think how I feel haha. I've doubted myself plenty, the answer is to just have some self confidence :smile: That's what got me my offer in the first place. I'm starting in 2015 and from what I have seen of the uni and London in general is that the teaching is excellent, the lecturers are really enthusiastic and care about your progress and the city is fantastic in terms of opportunity.

thanks man, slowly getting use to the idea of studying in London. maybe I'll see you there
Original post by User25
I'm confident enough to know that when I struggle I'll be able to work through it, just wanna have time to do a bunch of other stuff too

Oh. For me, it's either study-until-I-die either skip all classes and to no homework. It can be pretty tough to maintain a balance.
I got one D and one C at A level yet I got an offer from UCL...

How is that even possible? What course did you apply for? For the OP;
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/ref2014
Original post by Raymat
How is that even possible? What course did you apply for? For the OP;
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/ref2014

Pretty incredible right? I'm 21 so I class as a mature student, I'm on an Access to HE course at the moment with full Distinction grades, so I guess they can see that I've changed my ways :biggrin: lucky for me. I still can't believe it really. I'm doing Scandinavian Studies, and you?
Pretty incredible right? I'm 21 so I class as a mature student, I'm on an Access to HE course at the moment with full Distinction grades, so I guess they can see that I've changed my ways :biggrin: lucky for me. I still can't believe it really. I'm doing Scandinavian Studies, and you?

Good for you, I've applied to Biochemical Engineering but I'm not sure if I will be going UCL. I'm aiming to go Imperial but if I can't get in then I'll just have to go UCL. I'm 20 and I'll be almost 21 when I start my course.
Original post by Raymat
Good for you, I've applied to Biochemical Engineering but I'm not sure if I will be going UCL. I'm aiming to go Imperial but if I can't get in then I'll just have to go UCL. I'm 20 and I'll be almost 21 when I start my course.

Good luck with that. Imperial looks good but doesn't do my course. UCL is great for languages and course diversity, so it seems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending