The Student Room Group

Would going to UCL give better prospects than Manchester?

Hi,
I currently hold offers from both Manchester and UCL to study biotechnology. Both offers are AAA. I'm not overly excited by the prospect of living in London as a student and would prefer to live in Manchester. However, I am concerned that I could possibly lose out by choosing Manchester over UCL as UCL is generally regarded as more prestigious.
Also I would imagine that I will want to go into some kind of finance related job after uni if this makes any difference?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by chandlers9
Hi,
I currently hold offers from both Manchester and UCL to study biotechnology. Both offers are AAA. I'm not overly excited by the prospect of living in London as a student and would prefer to live in Manchester. However, I am concerned that I could possibly lose out by choosing Manchester over UCL as UCL is generally regarded as more prestigious.
Also I would imagine that I will want to go into some kind of finance related job after uni if this makes any difference?

Don't chose UCL if you would rather live in Manchester just for the sake of it having a good reputation. They are both highly Russell groups with a good reputation and job prospects. If you would rather live in Manchester then chose that instead as you will do much better at somewhere you are happy at as opposed to going to a university you are not happy at due to the reputation. Obviously London will have more job opportunities so afterwards you could move into London to find a finance job

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chandlers9
Hi,

I chose UCL over Aberdeen but that gap is slightly larger than yours...Manchester is a good uni, go where you feel is right. If you will hate being in London then don't go. I thought I would hate it until I visited and now I can't wait to move there. Make sure to visit!

Quick Reply

Latest