The Student Room Group

Revision tips anyone?

I am doing 3 A Levels and have 9 exams in total. 2 AS resits, how do I spread my time on my exams within a week, I tried creating a timetable it didn't work. What do I do to achieve high grades.... Help?!
When I go back to doing exams I want to try this:

Whilst recording audio: read and say whatever you want to learn about so like 10 pages or something. And then when you have free time, maybe on the bus listen to it again and again
Reply 2
Original post by Andrew657Thomas
When I go back to doing exams I want to try this:

Whilst recording audio: read and say whatever you want to learn about so like 10 pages or something. And then when you have free time, maybe on the bus listen to it again and again

Sorry I'm not looking for a technique to revise, I just want to know how I can devote all my 9 units in a week... But thanks for that tip !
Original post by RedSoldiier
Sorry I'm not looking for a technique to revise, I just want to know how I can devote all my 9 units in a week... But thanks for that tip !

Make a revision time table. How long you spend on each subject is personal because it pivots on your intellectual ability blah blah blah. But yeah defo make a revision time table. If you forced me to suggest a time frame to revise I would aim for 6 hours per day.
Reply 4
Original post by Troytheboy
Make a revision time table. How long you spend on each subject is personal because it pivots on your intellectual ability blah blah blah. But yeah defo make a revision time table. If you forced me to suggest a time frame to revise I would aim for 6 hours per day.

I can't do 6 hours per day as I have to still go school loool and I come back late so i won't have long. How many times a week do you think I should spend on a unit... Do I have to just prioritise?
Reply 5
Time tables never work for me either but what I do instead is use checklists. Instead of using my homework planner as advised I put goals of what I want to do on a certain day and tick them off(sometimes I use Keep because I'm an andriod girl). If I complete all my tasks for that day I give myself a sticker.
3 sticker= a treat (usually stationary or icecream with sprinkles and smarties or icecream and cookies).

Anyways I use this to keep track of what I've done and if it looks like I've done too much of one and not enough of another I make sure to include it in the next days checklist.

Checklist are more flexible cause you can do the work whenever you feel motivated to. Make sure you don't assign too many tasks per day though or you wont do them all and you might become demotivated.
Reply 6
Original post by dara97
Time tables never work for me either but what I do instead is use checklists. Instead of using my homework planner as advised I put goals of what I want to do on a certain day and tick them off(sometimes I use Keep because I'm an andriod girl). If I complete all my tasks for that day I give myself a sticker.
3 sticker= a treat (usually stationary or icecream with sprinkles and smarties or icecream and cookies).

Anyways I use this to keep track of what I've done and if it looks like I've done too much of one and not enough of another I make sure to include it in the next days checklist.

Checklist are more flexible cause you can do the work whenever you feel motivated to. Make sure you don't assign too many tasks per day though or you wont do them all and you might become demotivated.

Hmm, firstly can I have an ice cream with skittles please
i think I should prioritise in the exams which I've gotten bad results in compared to the others and assign checklists to them within a week. There are three units which I want to spend time on in a week every day, do you think that's a good idea as I think they are the most important ones to focus on now ?
Hmm, firstly can I have an ice cream with skittles please
i think I should prioritise in the exams which I've gotten bad results in compared to the others and assign checklists to them within a week. There are three units which I want to spend time on in a week every day, do you think that's a good idea as I think they are the most important ones to focus on now ?

Agree with the above,work on the weakest.However,don't ever neglect your strong subjects.

You need to be organised with your checklist,make sure you mark out deadlines on your calendar so that you can complete your homework first,followed by revision.

Personally,I do my revision on weekdays and homework on weekends. By the end of the weekends,I do not need to touch my homework and I can find time to revise on weekdays.

You need proper stress management too,don't study too much during your free time.You can go out for a run,exercise,chill. In fact,if you can achieve 50:50 work/play time and still score decent,that means you are coping fine.
Reply 8
Original post by gohjedrek
Agree with the above,work on the weakest.However,don't ever neglect your strong subjects.

You need to be organised with your checklist,make sure you mark out deadlines on your calendar so that you can complete your homework first,followed by revision.

Personally,I do my revision on weekdays and homework on weekends. By the end of the weekends,I do not need to touch my homework and I can find time to revise on weekdays.

You need proper stress management too,don't study too much during your free time.You can go out for a run,exercise,chill. In fact,if you can achieve 50:50 work/play time and still score decent,that means you are coping fine.

Alright, so i should do the above and then when i think i have strengthened my weak subjects.. i should spread the time out equally, including checklists?
Alright, so i should do the above and then when i think i have strengthened my weak subjects.. i should spread the time out equally, including checklists?

It ultimately depends on the subjects you are taking. I am taking the Uk international A levels for bio/chem/maths,so I don't know how well that applies in your scenario.

For maths,you have to make some time to get in touch with it each day.
Memory intensive ones,you should focus on studying techniques rather than emphasizing on how much time to dedicate. With the proper studying techniques,you can save time.

You can try this:
1.Teach your friends and explain to them the concepts 2.Make condensed notes(important things,things you don't know) for recollection (better to be in mind-map form) Try to make it organized.
3.Add must-knows,post-it notes perhaps?(* for important areas)
4.Whiteboard will be good to train your retention power.(copy and erase,try to recall again)
5.Form questions/answers format paper to boost understanding.(as many as possible for a chapter!)
6.Practise questions(it's better to get a question wrong than right,because if you get it wrong,you will remember it.)
I am doing 3 A Levels and have 9 exams in total. 2 AS resits, how do I spread my time on my exams within a week, I tried creating a timetable it didn't work. What do I do to achieve high grades.... Help?!

Use the study planner on this website, it's brilliant!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/make
Reply 11
I can't do 6 hours per day as I have to still go school loool and I come back late so i won't have long. How many times a week do you think I should spend on a unit... Do I have to just prioritise?

Im sorry if you want to do well you'll have to sacrifice a bit of sleep and drink a red bull or two. How badly do you want it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't do 6 hours per day as I have to still go school lol and I come back late so i won't have long. How many times a week do you think I should spend on a unit... Do I have to just prioritise?

Hold on, you'll be fine; just remember it's all for a good cause: you!
Just do some papers now and assess where you're up to. Prioritise your weakest areas and revise those first.
Reply 13
i havent been revising since wednesday because ive had a high temperature, and it sucks because i need to revise for my a2 exams and 1 as resit to get into uni :frown: i dont know what to do because i dont want to waste time so ive just been forcing myself but it made me feel worse and had to go hospital yesterday :/ i cant even get up from bed and i keep thinking im going to fail. what should i do?

Quick Reply

Latest