The Student Room Group

Appealing an application decision

Hi

I recently applied to UWL at Reading to study PGDip Nursing (Mental Health)
This week I was rejected because my reference "did not reflect my ability to study). Has anyone appealed a decision or know someone that has? I'm not sure what to do next
Reply 1
I know of someone on my access to nursing course who was rejected (before interview) by the University of Wolverhampton this year for Nursing, however, our tutor phoned admissions on her behalf (not sure what was said) and she was interviewed.

I'd phone and ask admissions if they would be willing to reconsider your application with new references. Who wrote your reference initially?

Good luck :biggrin:

Original post by PJLover
Hi

This week I was rejected because my reference "did not reflect my ability to study). Has anyone appealed a decision or know someone that has? I'm not sure what to do next
Original post by PJLover
Hi

appeal on what basis ?

welcome to the world of grown ups...
Reply 3
Original post by Trapped
I know of someone on my access to nursing course who was rejected (before interview) by the University of Wolverhampton this year for Nursing, however, our tutor phoned admissions on her behalf (not sure what was said) and she was interviewed.

I'd phone and ask admissions if they would be willing to reconsider your application with new references. Who wrote your reference initially?

Good luck :biggrin:

Hi

Thanks for your supportive reply. A previous employer did the reference but just did one of those "Yes they worker here" letters.

I took your advice and contacted the really helpful admin staff and have done what they advised.

So just wait and see. Thankd again x
Reply 4
You're welcome. It's best to have an academic write your reference (i know this can be difficult if you are applying as an individual), employers are not always familiar with UCAS, thus, writing an unsatisfactory reference in support of your application.

Keep me updated :biggrin:

Original post by PJLover
Hi

Thanks for your supportive reply. A previous employer did the reference but just did one of those "Yes they worker here" letters.

I took your advice and contacted the really helpful admin staff and have done what they advised.

So just wait and see. Thankd again x
Reply 5
Original post by Trapped
You're welcome. It's best to have an academic write your reference (i know this can be difficult if you are applying as an individual), employers are not always familiar with UCAS, thus, writing an unsatisfactory reference in support of your application.

Keep me updated :biggrin:

Having huge problems with academic reference. From my undergrad they are citing the passage of time as a reason not too and my postgrad all the lecturers I had have since left. I guess 10yrs is a long time.
Reply 6
Ah, i see. If you wrote a dissertation you can try approaching your supervisor if they are still employed by the institution. It can be really helpful to attach a cv & details of your degree marks, dissertation title etc.

You can also track down past tutors/lectures even if they've moved on to other institutions by googling their names and emailing.

Original post by PJLover
Having huge problems with academic reference. From my undergrad they are citing the passage of time as a reason not too and my postgrad all the lecturers I had have since left. I guess 10yrs is a long time.
Reply 7
I tried my dissertation supervisor but he said that he couldn't do it as he didn't supervise me - he gave me my title told me how to tackle it and went to India for the 3 months I worked on it lol

UCAS wouldn't let me attach other files but I did include it in my email. Currently tracking down the retired members. At least I can prove I want it :-)
Reply 8
Lol xD

Keep me posted :biggrin:

Original post by PJLover
I tried my dissertation supervisor but he said that he couldn't do it as he didn't supervise me - he gave me my title told me how to tackle it and went to India for the 3 months I worked on it lol

UCAS wouldn't let me attach other files but I did include it in my email. Currently tracking down the retired members. At least I can prove I want it :-)
Reply 9
Would you consider doing a BSc instead of PGdip? Would that put a different slant on your application?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending