The Student Room Group

Geography or Economics degree?

Hello,

I personally enjoy both subjects, but if I had to choose I enjoy geography more: I enjoy fieldwork, being outdoors, geography in general and how current it is.

However, should I do economics for its job prospects. Banking is also a career I'm seriously considering, or joining the forces.

I'm doing:

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Geography
History

And am expected straight As; I want to apply to top unis.

ANyway, should I go with what I enjoy more or what'll be better for the future?

Cheers
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by jake4198
Hello,

I personally enjoy both subjects, but if I had to choose I enjoy geography more: I enjoy fieldwork, being outdoors, geography in general and how current it is.

However, should I do economics for its job prospects. Banking is also a career I'm seriously considering, or joining the forces.

I'm doing:

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Geography
History

Cheers

I suggest that you should go for economics. You mentioned that banking is a career that you're seriously considering so obviously economics is much more related to this than geography. I know you said you enjoy both subjects but out of the 2 there must be one that you like slightly better and find more rewarding. Look into job prospects and talk to a careers advisor in your school/college and see what you find out in terms of employment rates, average salaries etc. I assume that you are in year 12 so maybe try organising some work experience in the summer related to both geography and economics to see what you will be getting yourself into :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Also organising work experience in the relating fields will make your personal statement and application as a general much stronger for university :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Providing you genuinely enjoy both subjects, toss a coin. Catch it, but before you look at it you'll know which one you really want it to be :-)
Original post by r-t
I suggest that you should go for economics. You mentioned that banking is a career that you're seriously considering so obviously economics is much more related to this than geography. I know you said you enjoy both subjects but out of the 2 there must be one that you like slightly better and find more rewarding. Look into job prospects and talk to a careers advisor in your school/college and see what you find out in terms of employment rates, average salaries etc. I assume that you are in year 12 so maybe try organising some work experience in the summer related to both geography and economics to see what you will be getting yourself into :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks very much, very helpful :smile:
Hello,

I'm doing:

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Geography
History

Cheers

How about doing work experience in both career areas to help you get an idea of what sort of career you most want to do.
Hello,

I'm doing:

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Geography
History

Cheers

You could always do a joint honours degree. Lots of good universities do joint degrees in geography and economics which means that you can have the best of both subjects. Universities that do this include; durham, ucl, St. Andrews, Northampton, loughbrough, lse, Liverpool, leeds, Lancaster, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Aberdeen and Chester.
Good luck!
Reply 9
Many geography students go into banking and accounting - of geography graduates, finance/banking/marketing is the most entered career path. Economics at university is very different to A level economics, no essays, all maths and equations. Pick the one you enjoy more!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending