The Student Room Group

Is it possible to do a whole GCSE course over the summer?

Good morning/evening to you reading, I have a question. I'm currently in year 11 and not too happy with my choices, but I know I have to carry through with them now and make up for them at A level. However, would it be possible to do a whole, single GCSE course over the summer? From my knowledge, I think courses like this are available (can't really find any :/) but you have to teach yourself and then simply take an exam at an examboard centre?

If anyone can find any information that is even semi-relevant to this, please let me know.

Have a good day!

EDIT: I know this probably isn't the best sub-forum to post this in, so to any moderators: please feel free to move it to a sub-forum if you feel it'd fit in more
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
The problem is the timing of the exams - however long or short you study for there are only limited exam sessions - mostly May/June for GCSE ( with limited resit opportunity for maths/English in November). You may be able to take an IGCSE in a new subject - Cambridge offer their exams in November - and it is poolside to study over the holidays if you worked hard and had some aptitude, but you would need to find a centre that offered CIE exams ( not that easy n some parts of the country) and also did the November session.

J
Reply 2
I agree with everything jkb1955 said.
Original post by Compost
I agree with everything jkb1955 said.

Hi Compost. Would you (assuming you are an admissions tutor of a uni) think any less of me if I did 8 GCSEs over two exam sessions? Or should I do all eight in one sitting or it doesn't matter at all?
Reply 4
Original post by Vanessa Leah
Hi Compost. Would you (assuming you are an admissions tutor of a uni)

I'm not but..

Original post by Vanessa Leah
think any less of me if I did 8 GCSEs over two exam sessions? Or should I do all eight in one sitting or it doesn't matter at all?

I think it would depend on your circumstances, e.g. your health and what else you were trying to do at the same time.
Original post by Compost
I'm not but..

I think it would depend on your circumstances, e.g. your health and what else you were trying to do at the same time.

So you rather I do all eight GCSEs in one sitting? yes? I'm looking for a definitive answer.
Reply 6
Ok - I work with home educated students - we run an exam centre - and many of them do their GCSEs over several years ( mostly as it can be pricey) - that never seems an issue at most 6th form/colleges - but if you have to compete for entry at a college with demanding exam entry conditions - it might be; if it is "have 5 GCSEs to get in here" then it won't be an issue. At uni entrance it is the time span for A levels that seems more relevant - they mostly like evidence that you can handle a bigger workload so tend to expect 3 A levels done in 2 years, not longer - although obviously there are exceptions. So if you split your GCSE level exams into 2 entries in the same year it wouldn't be an issue - although again it is likely to have to be IGCSEs due to not being able to do most GCSEs except in summer term ( and whatever YOU want to do - if you are a school student they will want all exams in 1 sitting due to league tables!)
Original post by jkb1955
Ok - I work with home educated students - we run an exam centre - and many of them do their GCSEs over several years ( mostly as it can be pricey) - that never seems an issue at most 6th form/colleges - but if you have to compete for entry at a college with demanding exam entry conditions - it might be; if it is "have 5 GCSEs to get in here" then it won't be an issue. At uni entrance it is the time span for A levels that seems more relevant - they mostly like evidence that you can handle a bigger workload so tend to expect 3 A levels done in 2 years, not longer - although obviously there are exceptions. So if you split your GCSE level exams into 2 entries in the same year it wouldn't be an issue - although again it is likely to have to be IGCSEs due to not being able to do most GCSEs except in summer term ( and whatever YOU want to do - if you are a school student they will want all exams in 1 sitting due to league tables!)

thank you so much for your reply!
what subjects did you do at GCSE and with which boards?
Reply 8
Me? Oh I am ancient - O levels in my day. Most of our students do a mixture of GCSEs ( maths, religious studies, psychology /sociology - the non coursework options ) and IGCSEs in English and sciences; some do CIE and some Edexcel - mostly a matter of personal preferences. We only offer Edexcel IGCSE modern languages though, but that is because the orals are simpler for the centre to run
Original post by jkb1955
Me? Oh I am ancient - O levels in my day. Most of our students do a mixture of GCSEs ( maths, religious studies, psychology /sociology - the non coursework options ) and IGCSEs in English and sciences; some do CIE and some Edexcel - mostly a matter of personal preferences. We only offer Edexcel IGCSE modern languages though, but that is because the orals are simpler for the centre to run

great. thank you very much.

Quick Reply

Latest