The Student Room Group

M1 Moments

Okay this is a really silly question, but I can't see where (in the question below) is it mentioned that the plank specifically rests on a support in the middle?

Because of that I ended up not having a support in the middle and that lead to my answer being equal to zero :P
i guess that see-saws always have a support in the middle ? :confused:
Original post by creativebuzz
Okay this is a really silly question, but I can't see where (in the question below) is it mentioned that the plank specifically rests on a support in the middle?

Because of that I ended up not having a support in the middle and that lead to my answer being equal to zero :P

It says on the first line, "pivoted at M, the midpoint of AB". :redface:
Original post by rayquaza17
It says on the first line, "pivoted at M, the midpoint of AB". :redface:

Ah okay, (and I know that this is a ridiculous question) but what's the difference between a pivot and a support? Because they draw both as triangles.
Ah okay, (and I know that this is a ridiculous question) but what's the difference between a pivot and a support? Because they draw both as triangles.

Pivot allows rotation, support doesn't
Original post by devangdave
Pivot allows rotation, support doesn't

Ah okay. So would working with either a pivot or a support make any effect on my calculations?
In terms of working, both the exact same

A pivot is like a point of rotation, so like the point where the object can move about. A support is something that supports the object's weight. In this case, the seesaw is supported by the pivot - so it's the same thing.

I think in M1, pivot and support can be used interchangeably? If you struggle with it, just use your common sense tbh - a see-saw would be rubbish if the pivot wasn't in the centre!
A pivot is like a point of rotation, so like the point where the object can move about. A support is something that supports the object's weight. In this case, the seesaw is supported by the pivot - so it's the same thing.

I think in M1, pivot and support can be used interchangeably? If you struggle with it, just use your common sense tbh - a see-saw would be rubbish if the pivot wasn't in the centre!

Ah okay, thanks.

And in this question, they haven't mentioned that the rod is uniform yet the still put the mass of the broom in the middle. Surely that's wrong?
Ah okay, thanks.

And in this question, they haven't mentioned that the rod is uniform yet the still put the mass of the broom in the middle. Surely that's wrong?

They're modelling it as an uniform rod. I think M1 allows for that to be done. The question should be more specific though, imo
Ah okay, thanks.

I think in all of M1 we assume that rods are uniform.
I think in all of M1 we assume that rods are uniform.

Not exactly. There are many questions in M1 where they have purposely not mentioned that it's uniform because that's what makes it more difficult.
Original post by devangdave
They're modelling it as an uniform rod. I think M1 allows for that to be done. The question should be more specific though, imo

Not exactly. There are many questions in M1 where they have purposely not mentioned that it's uniform (non-uniform rods) because that's what makes it more difficult.
Not exactly. There are many questions in M1 where they have purposely not mentioned that it's uniform because that's what makes it more difficult.

Oh I see. I haven't done M1 in 2 years now, so I'm sorry!:colondollar:

Maybe if they don't mention otherwise or the question gives no indication otherwise, assume it's uniform.

Maybe if they don't mention otherwise or the question gives no indication otherwise, assume it's uniform.

Ah no I completely understand :smile: But yeah, at least now I don't feel like I complete idiot by getting frozen over that!

Do you still remember much about resolving around pegs etc?
Do you still remember much about resolving around pegs etc?

Erm I could give it a go if you posted the question. :tongue:
Erm I could give it a go if you posted the question. :tongue:

No worries, I literally just managed to figure it out :biggrin:

But can you just check if this method of resolving, when dealing with forces acting horizontally, is.. correct/legit? And if you have a better method

No worries, I literally just managed to figure it out :biggrin:

But can you just check if this method of resolving, when dealing with forces acting horizontally, is.. correct/legit? And if you have a better method

I'm terrible at getting the angles and everything right (you do a lot of this in a chapter in M2 and it was a nightmare!), but I think this is all correct. This is how I was taught how to do it, so I can't think of any better ways. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest