The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

why so many rapes/sexual assaults in u.k?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by slade p
Britain is in denial over both a rape culture and violence culture. They deliberately don't talk about it on media because they want to pretend everything is fine.

232 rapes every days in britain. why the media never mention that?

If there is a violence culture then it is principally a male issue. They're the ones who suffer the overwhelming majority of violence.
A greater proportion of victims report them now and the terms rape and sexual assault have a broader meaning these days too.
Reply 22
Original post by limetang
If there is a violence culture then it is principally a male issue. They're the ones who suffer the overwhelming majority of violence.

Yes i know that, the point is the british media and british society want to pretend these things don't exist so they can so they can falsely exalt themselves as civilized and so on, while talking about the uncivilised abuses of other people. Pathetic.
Rape happens because 1. there's a large potentially market for it (50% of the population, legally speaking), 2. There's a base motive which applies to the vast majority of that 50% and 3. The barrier to rape isn't high (ie, taking advantage of a passed out girl, or even overpowering a girl, is extremely easy just in terms of the physicality of it), and 4. There isn't that high a chance of getting caught if you do it right, because it's a hard crime to catch.

So we have a crime that a high number of people can commit, the vast majority of which have a motive, no significant difficulty in committing the crime and little risk in getting caught in the right circumstances.

That's why the figures are high, it's nothing to do with a "rape culture".
Original post by slade p
Yes i know that, the point is the british media and british society want to pretend these things don't exist so they can so they can falsely exalt themselves as civilized and so on, while talking about the uncivilised abuses of other people. Pathetic.

That must be why they report daily on rape cases then?
Original post by Vixen47
It's surprisingly low in the UK compared to most countries. Instead of "why is so common in the UK?" I'd ask "why is it so common with humans?"

I was molested by two people (not at the same time I think) when I was a kid, sexually assaulted by a stranger at 15, and then raped by another stranger at 18.

I didn't report any of them, but that's mostly because I didn't realise they happened until long after they happened.

I repressed the memories of what happened to me when I was a kid, but around the ages of about 16 or 17 some memories started coming to light and I've sloooowly been remembering more over the years. At the time it was happening I had no idea that it was a bad thing. I was told it was a game so that's how I saw it. I think the name was "love game". It was something so stupid and simple that a 6 year old could relate to it.

What happened when I was 15 was a bit weird at first and for about a month or two I didn't realise that it was what it was. I sort of knew that it was sexual assault but I didn't like to think of it so I just ignored it until I couldn't ignore it anymore.

The one that happened when I was 18 REALLY screwed me up. For the 8/9 months after it happened I was so sure I cheated on my boyfriend at the time and I hated myself for it. About 2 months after we broke up I was still dealing with the rape but because I didn't realise that it was rape I punished myself and started sleeping around A LOT because I became incredibly self-destructive. The rape happened in January 2012, and I think it was in October that year that the memories started coming back (like my childhood, I tried repressing and suppressing these memories too). The most vivid one I remembered was me saying no to the guy and trying to stop him from doing it. Over the next year or two I started understanding more about what happened to me and realised that it was the kind of rape where the victim is manipulated into doing it. I feared what might happened to me (being beaten or murdered) if I didn't go along with it so I gave in because, well, survival I guess? The reason I spent so long thinking it was my fault was because I went along with it. It didn't hit me that I went along with it because I had no other choice. The triggers that made me realise that it wasn't my fault were seeing people on TVshows and in documentaries experience or recount the same/really similar experiences.

To this day I still can't help but blame myself for all four. I'm terrified it'll keep happening to me because it keeps happening to me. During a conversation I had with my fiance (the only person irl who knows about them all) I said something like "what's wrong with me? I'm like a magnet to rapists" and he said "nothing is wrong with you." That's the first time in my life that I got any kind of reassurance over this.

****ing hell! internet hugs. There's nothing wrong with you, you've just been incredibly unlucky. In no way can getting raped be blamed on you.
Reply 26
Original post by awkwardshortguy
A greater proportion of victims report them now and the terms rape and sexual assault have a broader meaning these days too.

Stop making excuses for the vile, uncivilized and misogynistic behavior among british men.
Reply 27
Original post by slade p
That's really high comparatively, among the highest in the world.

1% means 1 in every 100 is assaulted which is extremely high.

Why isn't there more attention in u.k to it? hardly mentioned in the british media as if these shocking stats are acceptable and they don't care.

Btw you should be putting how much it is per 100,000, not the percentage.

There are officially 15,000 rapes in India. Do you believe this?

The UK is probably one of the countries with the least rapes/population. It just that the police/judicial system is one of the most efficient of the world.

You can't compare rape stats between countries.
Reply 28
Original post by DiddyDec
That must be why they report daily on rape cases then?

No they don't generally, i'm sure you can cherry pick some examples though.
Original post by slade p
Stop making excuses for the vile, uncivilized and misogynistic behavior among british men.

And there we have it. Didn't take too long for us to decry half of the population as uncivilised misogynistic brutes now did it?
Original post by slade p
Compared to everyone, it is among the highest. look at the U.N rate of rape stats, where britain's OFFICAL rate of rape is among the highest.

Also 1 in 5 been assaulted is generally extremely high, not just comparatively. 1 in 5 would be millions of women in u.k.

It's because we actually report it, rather than other countries ignoring it, refusing to report it or even condoning it.
Original post by slade p

The fact that rape and violence occur isn't in and of itself evidence of a rape and violence culture though.
Original post by slade p
No they don't generally, i'm sure you can cherry pick some examples though.

I could give your hundreds of examples. The media report on rape every single day, you just choose to ignore it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Josb
There are officially 15,000 rapes in India. Do you believe this?

The UK is probably one of the countries with the least rapes/population. It just that the police/judicial system is one of the most efficient of the world.

You can't compare rape stats between countries.

Offical rape stats in u.k i about 15,000 which equals 28 per 100,000 which is one of the highest in the world. indian has 24,000 official rapes which is about 2 per 100,000. They would need a 15 times more un-reported rate just to match u.k's official rape RATE.

All countries under report rape, so don't come back with that, that's what the 85,000 rapes in uk addresses for official and the estimated un-reported rapes, so saying britain has among the most efficient policing is total b.s.

85,000 rapes per year would roughly be 150 rapes per 100,000 people which is about the same as south africa's offical rate.
Original post by slade p
Offical rape stats in u.k i about 15,000 .

There is no guessing with official stats, the exact number of reported cases last year was 22,116.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29642455
Reply 35
Original post by slade p
Offical rape stats in u.k i about 15,000 which equals 28 per 100,000 which is one of the highest in the world. indian has 24,000 official rapes which is about 2 per 100,000. They would need a 15 times more un-reported rate just to match u.k's official rape RATE.

All countries under report rape, so don't come back with that, that's what the 85,000 rapes in uk addresses for official and the estimated un-reported rapes, so saying britain has among the most efficient policing is total b.s.

85,000 rapes per year would roughly be 150 rapes per 100,000 people which is about the same as south africa's offical rate.

Do you really think that India (1,100,000,000 people) has so few rapes?
Reply 36
Original post by Drewski
It's because we actually report it, rather than other countries ignoring it, refusing to report it or even condoning it.

Actually the 28 rapes per 100,000 people number, which is among the highest in the world is just from the official rapes recorded which is about 15,000 rapes per year is far off from the 85,000 rapes which is thought to happen in u.k so the vast majority of rapes are not being recorded.

Once again brits showing their ignorance and in denial of facts.
Reply 37
Why is it ok to say that Britain has a rape culture but not ok to say that the British Pakistani community has a rape culture, despite the former statement obviously being false and the latter obviously being true?

Reminder: blacks are 3.7 times more likely than whites to commit rape, and Asians are 1.3 times more likely

http://fullfact.org/sites/fullfact.org/files/ethnicprofile.jpg

"Rape campaigners" seem to love throwing out statistics, so why are these ones never mentioned?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by slade p
Actually the 28 rapes per 100,000 people number, which is among the highest in the world is just from the official rapes recorded which is about 15,000 rapes per year is far off from the 85,000 rapes which is thought to happen in u.k so the vast majority of rapes are not being recorded.

Once again brits showing their ignorance and in denial of facts.

You are, I'm guessing deliberately, offering misleading explanation of the numbers.

As other posters have said, the numbers you quote are not the be all and end all.

This is a deep and complex issue that you are trying to summarise on the back of stamp. You do the topic a gross disservice.
Reply 39
Original post by Josb
Do you really think that India (1,100,000,000 people) has so few rapes?

No, not in total numbers, but that's very normal since they have 20 times more people, but the RATE of rape is very low. The rate of rape is the important part because it tells you how likely you are of getting raped and how prevalent and common it is.

Latest

Trending

Trending