The Student Room Group

University Applications

So I recently confirmed my choices to study Law. For my firm choice, I chose Glasgow University and I put York University as my insurance. The reason for putting Glasgow as my Firm was because it was the 'best' university out of my offers.

I am instantly regretting my decision, mainly due to the fact that I always wanted to go to Edinburgh University, but I was rejected (urgh).

I just can't see myself studying in Glasgow, due to where I currently live. In addition, I don't believe that I would fit in at Glasgow University and i don't think that I would enjoy staying there.

I have been looking at statistics for the employment prospects in major Law Firms, and Glasgow seems to be at the bottom of the pack, in regards to the Russell Group Universities. http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf

I just need advice from some fellow TSR members if possible... Thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I have also firmed an offer which I now deeply regret. I am going to call my university on Monday and ask them to release me into extra if that is possible. Or you can wait till results day and call the university to release you into clearing or if you do better then go through adjustment and apply to Edinbrugh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
I have also firmed an offer which I now deeply regret. I am going to call my university on Monday and ask them to release me into extra if that is possible. Or you can wait till results day and call the university to release you into clearing or if you do better then go through adjustment and apply to Edinbrugh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Waiting to be released until results day is very bad tactics. It takes some time to arrange, by which time any attractive courses (such as law) may be gone. If OP knows s/he doesn't want Glasgow now, then there is plenty of time to sort it out in advance. As for Adjustment, Edinburgh has rejected OP once, and will not be interested in them again. Edinburgh very often gives very low offers to people it is keen to take, and they were not prepared to do this in this case.
Original post by EatAndRevise
So I recently confirmed my choices to study Law. For my firm choice, I chose Glasgow University and I put York University as my insurance. The reason for putting Glasgow as my Firm was because it was the 'best' university out of my offers.

I am instantly regretting my decision, mainly due to the fact that I always wanted to go to Edinburgh University, but I was rejected (urgh).

I just can't see myself studying in Glasgow, due to where I currently live. In addition, I don't believe that I would fit in at Glasgow University and i don't think that I would enjoy staying there.

I have been looking at statistics for the employment prospects in major Law Firms, and Glasgow seems to be at the bottom of the pack, in regards to the Russell Group Universities. http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf

What exactly do you want advice about? How to get out of your place at Glasgow? Are you happy with York? If you ask Glasgow to let you go, then York will become your firm automatically.
Reply 4
Original post by EatAndRevise

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1427575871.243544.jpg this may also help you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest