The Student Room Group

A Level Maths

For those of you doing Maths and Futher Maths, how many lessons per week do you have?

I have 2 hours of Maths in total per week to do Maths and Further maths, while people doing just single maths have 4/5 hours per week.

Some crap about funding is the reason, also i dont get given any books at all and have to work from photocopied sheets.

How is doing double Maths A Level like where you other people are??

Scroll to see replies

4 hours of Maths per week, of which 2 hours Pure, 2 hours Applied

4 hours of Further Maths per week on which ever unit was running.

However our Further Maths teacher realised that we were struggling with the amount of content in September, and gave up one hour of his free period allocation so that was a fifth hour of Further Maths.

We got through it in the end, we just didn't have time to get consultation over the Further courseworks, but I picked up a pair of B's on them anyway.
Reply 2
Wow, 2 hours for both maths AND further maths :O

At my place we get 5 hours a week for each subject we do, so the further maths people get 5 for maths and 5 for further maths.

They seem to be managing fine with this but I think they would struggle with any less.

I know I'd find it hard with 2 hours a week for normal maths! 2 hours for both subjects seems a rather short amount of time for one of the hardest a level subjects.

Do you have to do lots of your work out of lesson time to get all the topics covered then?
at my school we do single maths in year 12 so at the end of year 12 we take exams in P1-P3, M1-M2, S1. For this we did 7 hours a week.

Then in year 13 we do the whole further maths course again 7 hours a week.

its a pretty good system and i have an A in single maths already (probably!!) and will take the rest next year
i had 5 hours just to do maths, and we still didnt finnish the syllabus.

but thats coz the teacher spent most of his time just shouting at us because none of us could do it (he didnt like it when we pointed out that mayb we hadnt been taught it)

those doing further maths actually had less time than us, which confused me, but they had a better teacher.

love Katy ****
Reply 5
10.5 hours a week, of which 1/2 was pure, 1/4 mech and 1/4 stats.
Reply 6
i had 4.5 hours a week, if i did further i would have had a further 4.5 hours. I found that 4.5 hours a week is nowhere near enough. we had to rush abit at the end. If u havent got a text book then i would deffinetly invest in one rather than working from sheets-the school shoulnt be that cheap
Reply 7
Originally posted by Ollie
i had 4.5 hours a week, if i did further i would have had a further 4.5 hours. I found that 4.5 hours a week is nowhere near enough. we had to rush abit at the end. If u havent got a text book then i would deffinetly invest in one rather than working from sheets-the school shoulnt be that cheap
hours a week here too, and it definitely wasn't enough. We had to rush through the P3 course in two months or so at the end of the year, and we missed out at least two topics - one of which we had to sign up for extra maths lessons to do.

The problem is that there's too much on the module specifications.
Reply 8
Well we sorta work on a two week timetable i sould have said. Basically i have three hours one week and an hour the other while normal maths have four hours and five hours (ie 9 hours a fortnight)

Anyway i sorta worked out it takes us roughly 12 hours (6 weeks per module), we were spossed to go to the normal maths lessons and so have 13 hours of maths a fortnight, but our further maths teacher said we couldn't do any decent stuff until we had P1 out of the way, so he said not to go to normal maths and he taught us everything.

We have to teach ourselves some stuff, like when we learnt how to divide polynomials in P2 our maths teacher said it was a bit like long division and left it as that, but i would imagine when i apply to university they will take into consideration that i only had 4 hours of Maths per fortnight.
Reply 9
Well I think it varies with different schools.

Here at my school, we have an hour a day for Math which gives 5 hours per week. Further Math people have 2 hours per day, which gives 10 hours per week.
Im doing P1 in jan and i get 3 hours of maths per week but there are only 4 people in the class working on A level the rest are still on GCSE (i did mine early) so we get about 15 minutes of the lesson actually being taught when the teacher has finished teaching the rest of the class. I dont think this is enough and i am no where near ready to sit the exam but my teacher wants us to get all the 6 modules done this year and next year because the sylabus will be changing by the time im in year 12.
Reply 11
Woah, some stingy lesson times there.

I get 10 hours per week for Maths and Further Maths.
Reply 12
I do maths with mechanics (OCR) and we have 4.5hrs per week usually split into two teachers (three lessons each) one teaching one module one teaching another.
well, i kinda have 6 hrs. of combined maths per week since i am doing 1 yr. course !!!
Reply 14
Unregistered
For those of you doing Maths and Futher Maths, how many lessons per week do you have?

I have 2 hours of Maths in total per week to do Maths and Further maths, while people doing just single maths have 4/5 hours per week.

Some crap about funding is the reason, also i dont get given any books at all and have to work from photocopied sheets.

How is doing double Maths A Level like where you other people are??

I had 5 hours of standard maths first year and studied further maths on my own (wasn't offered by the sixth form - only I wanted to take it). This year, I've already done P2 and P3 so had 3 lessons a week for M1 and after Christmas I'll have no lessons at all (wanted to get as much pure done for the Cambridge app. so finished the normal course before then). Then again, the school gives me text books and past papers and my Dad gives me a bit of help.
Reply 15
i was just about to moan about the fact that i wasnt allowed to do further mathss as no one else in my year was doing it. but what you just said was interesting. how exactly do i go about doing it myself? as in, how do i sit the real exam etc. advice is much appreciated
Reply 16
I don't do Further Maths, but I do Pure with Stats and get 4 50 minute lessons of Pure a week which is errr... 3 hours 20 mins. (That took me a scarily long time to work out!) And I get 1 hour 40 of Stats a week.
'Unregistered' person who started this...are you finding it all okay? 'cause 2 hours a week to fit in lots and lots of information must be pretty hard! If you have problems with anything then I'm sure there a lots of people on here who would love to help.
Four hours of pure maths a week, with this year's silly new timetable. Same classroom. Same teacher. Same seat.

J.
Reply 18
5 Hours Pure

6 Hours Mechanics and stats.
i was supposed to have 4.5 hrs a week, but my pure teacher neva turned up, so i had 2.5 hrs a week of maths, it was enough to get my a in maths, had to teach myself pure 3!!!!

Latest