The Student Room Group

PS3/PS4/PSN Query

I'm thinking of getting back into gaming, I had the original PS3 since it came out until two years ago when it packed in. I was considering (now that they're relatively cheap now) getting a preowned PS3 super slim as I still have a couple of games and controllers, the online play is free, and the games out on PS3 are cheaper as well. The PS4 is more expensive though (console + additional controller + PS+ for online + games racks up to about £400). I have been checking the best deals on Gamestop and Rakuten as they seem to offer the cheapest PS4s and the games coming out from now on appear to be exclusively for PS4/Xbox One.
With it being ages since I logged onto PSN, does anyone know if the account becomes dormant after a period of non use? Would I have to start a new PSN account for the PS4?

In short is it better going for the PS3 because it's considerably cheaper (whilst still offering an enjoyable experience) or better going with the PS4 for the better experience (of graphics, gameplay etc.) and the new games coming out.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
To check if your account is active, just go to the sony entertainment network website and try to log in there. Pretty sure you'll still be able to use it though.
If you've already owned the PS3, and you enjoyed it than go with that, especially if money is an issue. Games till continue to be made for he PS3 for a while so that won't be an issue. Or you could wait for some bundle deals. I know in Canada, a few stores have been selling the controller and two games (GTA and TLOU) for $399 (212 GBP). Also, if you didn't care enough to buy a new one once your PS3 broke, you mustn't have missed or played it that often, so it sounds like a PS3 would suffice.
Get the one that has the games you want.

Quick Reply

Latest