The Student Room Group

Is this how you get an A* in a language for GCSE ?

I'm unsure but if I just learn the vocabulary on the AQA specifications, sure I would get a good grade in the listening and reading exams ?

I'm in year 11 and I take German and Spanish. I currently have done all of my controlled assessments but i'd like to re do one writing for each just to boost up my overall grade. then leaves the 40%.

Does my "theory" make sense ? What else is there to aceing the listening and reading exams ? Apart from taking past exam papers.

Thanks
Original post by lovaticfordemi
I'm unsure but if I just learn the vocabulary on the AQA specifications, sure I would get a good grade in the listening and reading exams ?

I'm in year 11 and I take German and Spanish. I currently have done all of my controlled assessments but i'd like to re do one writing for each just to boost up my overall grade. then leaves the 40%.

Does my "theory" make sense ? What else is there to aceing the listening and reading exams ? Apart from taking past exam papers.

Thanks

Learning vocab will help you loads because you'll be able to recognise more of the words, and you'll understand it better

for listening, i highly recommend that you listen to the word being said in french so you get used to how it will sound in the listening paper - maybe you can put a list of words (in french) into google translate and then click the little listen button.
That's all I'm doing to revise - going to learn the vocab and go over verbs and their various tenses. It might help to go on something like about. com to learn some idioms or slang words (not so much slang but like maman for Mum). Also, use past listening papers, even from other exam boards, or from the BBC bitesize clips and do a dictation - so write in French what they're saying then translate it afterwards as practice for the listening.
If you really feel up to it you could read the news in French or something like that and try and translate that to practice for the reading.
Do you know the UMS total of your coursework? I'm doing French and didn't actually realise just how many marks I need but I have 56/60 for the speaking and 54/60 for the writing (hopefully that will increase- redoing one on Thursday) and even with that I can only drop 10 UMS if I want an A*!
For me, I have to get full UMS on the exam because I got 51/60 on the writing and 54/60. If the UMS distribution is the same as last year, I need 60 UMS on both exams- a tough and unlikely mission!

Quick Reply

Latest