The Student Room Group

uni accomodation how do u pay

Guys... U know uni accommodation what is the procedure ? Do u pay every month or do u take a loan ? I have no idea
You may want to check with your unis accommodation office. Details are usually mentioned in your accommodation offer letter.
To such a generic question I'll give a generic answer - it depends. Hope this helps.
Reply 3
Original post by Uz25
Guys... U know uni accommodation what is the procedure ? Do u pay every month or do u take a loan ? I have no idea

Although this is quite a general question and it does depend on the uni, from what I've heard in open/applicant days you pay for the deposit to secure your place. You then apply for a maintenance loan either higher or lower amount and grants (if you're entitled to them) and you receive the money every term so it's your job to budget for it. The prices that I've seen for accomodation are like £137.50 a week so I assume that if it's giving you a weekly cost then you pay for it weekly. Although I could be wrong haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Although this is quite a general question and it does depend on the uni, from what I've heard in open/applicant days you pay for the deposit to secure your place. You then apply for a maintenance loan either higher or lower amount and grants (if you're entitled to them) and you receive the money every term so it's your job to budget for it. The prices that I've seen for accomodation are like £137.50 a week so I assume that if it's giving you a weekly cost then you pay for it weekly. Although I could be wrong haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not bad :P and i know it might be a general question but personally had no clue! So basically every uni has a different procedure. It could be that you pay monthly or weekly; i'll research on the uni i'm considering. Is Grant you keep? and Loan u have to pay back gradually init?
Reply 5
Original post by Uz25
Not bad :P and i know it might be a general question but personally had no clue! So basically every uni has a different procedure. It could be that you pay monthly or weekly; i'll research on the uni i'm considering. Is Grant you keep? and Loan u have to pay back gradually init?

Yeh research the uni and if you don't find the information you need then call them up. Yep a grant you keep but a loan has to be paid back. However not everyone's entitled to the grant because you have to meet certain criteria for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you apply for a maintenance loan?
Most student halls are paid for termly. Some private halls and are monthly or termly. Very very few places will want paying weekly.

You apply for a student loan through student finance and they'll assess how much they'll give to you. That'll be sent to you termly - hopefully a week or two before your rent is due.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Most student halls are paid for termly. Some private halls and are monthly or termly. Very very few places will want paying weekly.

You apply for a student loan through student finance and they'll assess how much they'll give to you. That'll be sent to you termly - hopefully a week or two before your rent is due.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh so you don't take a loan for the student accommodation. You use the grant and student loan tto pay it...
Original post by Uz25
Oh so you don't take a loan for the student accommodation. You use the grant and student loan tto pay it...

Yup, you use your student finance - so your maintenance loan and your maintenance grant. You need to make sure that your student finance covers the total cost of your accommodation though as not everyone's will.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Yup, you use your student finance - so your maintenance loan and your maintenance grant. You need to make sure that your student finance covers the total cost of your accommodation though as not everyone's will.

What happens if the loan is due and u couldn't pay it off
Original post by Uz25

What do you mean?
Reply 12
Original post by Uz25

You only start paying off the loan when you are earning £21000 or over. If you're not earning that much then you don't pay anything. You don't have to pay the loan if you're not working thankfully. After 30 years, any amount that you still have to repay is written off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
You only start paying off the loan when you are earning £21000 or over. If you're not earning that much then you don't pay anything. You don't have to pay the loan if you're not working thankfully. After 30 years, any amount that you still have to repay is written off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that I meant what is f ur uni accomadation rent is due but u can't pay it due to financial reasons?
Reply 14
Original post by Uz25
I know that I meant what is f ur uni accomadation rent is due but u can't pay it due to financial reasons?

Oh okay sorry haha. I'm sure you'd get some sort of financial support from them and a payment holiday till you got your finances sorted out. You could get a job at uni so you have more money

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest