The Student Room Group

im stuck on what i should do after GCSE's!!!!!!!!!

my GCSE's will be over in a couple of months and i know that after i'd like to go to sixth form to do my A levels. initially i didn't think i would get into choice two but my grades have proved good enough (despite both me and my mum thinking they wouldn't be) and i have been accepted by two school but i have HUGE dilemma on which school to go to.
so basically i applied to two different sixth forms which both have massive advantages and disadvantages.
choice 1) the school i already go to, were i have all my closest friends, where all the A levels i want are (philosophy and ethics, law, sociology, and psychology), i already know my way round and the teachers, its not a grammar school so it has a real mixture of students which means unlike choice number two i wont feel dumbed down but rather at level with the other students also has a nicer uniform (which isn't the most important reason but still a reason).

choice 2) the 3rd best grammar school in the country, were i know around 2 people, in another town, i wouldn't be doing one of the A levels i wanted to do (law), and as its a grammar school and i didn't go to a grammar school i would be faced with lots of people who are way more clever than me (i only just got in), and don't know any of the teachers, pupils or my way round and the uniform is horrific (again not the most important reason but still a reason)

my mum wants me to go to choice two as she say's with it being one of the best schools in our city it will open many doors for me and make me look better for future employers. she also says that English is better than law.

my friends want me to stay at my school as that's were most of them are going and they also think i could really achieve something in law.

i want to go to the school i'm already at as it has already given me so much and i really want to do law as that's the area i could see myself in when i'm older also i think i would fit in so much more and having to go on a bus everyday to get to my school at quarter past seven every morning with my anxiety would be horrendous.

so, please could you help me decide which sixth form i should go to without any biased views or knowledge about me individually.
Reply 1
Original post by anonmousteen

i want to go to the school i'm already at as it has already given me so much and i really want to do law as that's the area i could see myself in when i'm older also i think i would fit in so much more and having to go on a bus everyday to get to my school at quarter past seven every morning with my anxiety would be horrendous.

You've answered your own question there
I have to burst your bubble, but Law as an A-level isn't necessarily going to help you at university. You often cover the content within the first few weeks at a university degree. Some universities actually don't like it because it doesn't make you look as broad in terms of education. I want to be a lawyer too, hence why I researched so much into it, and the fact it's considered a "soft subject" ( I personally disagree) is the reason why the grammar school won't offer it. So please don't base your decision on the Law A-level, it's not all it's cracked up to be. Personally, I went from a mixed school to a grammar and although it was daunting at first it was one of the best decisions of my life, the competition can be intimidating, I totally understand, but it pushes us all to be better. The fact that you can get a private-school level education for free is a great opportunity, and regardless of how successful you were in getting in, you still did, they wouldn't have offered you a place if they thought you weren't capable. It's a brilliant opportunity, and although it's daunting, friends come and go, you'll easily make new ones and it's unlikely that the ones you have now will be with you for the rest of your life anyway. Just think it through, I had the same dilemma, and although it's more of an effort, I think it pays off, and it will definitely leave you in a better position in the future if you go to the grammar (It should't, but it's just the way it works)
Reply 3
Unis or companies don't care what sixth form you attend (in fact it's advantage v. slightly to have gone to a bad one).
The only benefit of attending a better sixth form is it will hopefully help you to perform better.

Now I agree with earlier advice, law A-level will not help you study law at university. Also are you 100% sure you don't enjoy any of the current subjects you study at GCSE? You've selected 4 entirely new subjects for a-level, in all likelihood you won't like all of them. I'd advise to carry on with on of your current subjects - with English lit or history being most beneficial for law.
We can't tell you which sixth form to attend, but I recommend you don't take law, and BOTH of psychology/sociology. To have the best chance of studying law at a good Uni, a good combination for you could be:
Sociology/Psychology, Philosophy, History/English lit, Geography/Economics/A few others

Quick Reply

Latest