The Student Room Group

Favourite british group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Azula
aww i was obsessed with the smiths back in yr 11

I still am :P

All of you saying Smiths and Joy division, they're my 2 faves too :tongue:
Architects, Bring Me The Horizon and Bury Tomorrow.
The Beatles
It's Floyd, come on people. The correct answer is clearly Pink Floyd.
Reply 24
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
It's Floyd, come on people. The correct answer is clearly Pink Floyd.

:smile: there's no correct or incorrect answers. Everyone has their own music taste :biggrin:
Original post by Detny
:smile: there's no correct or incorrect answers. Everyone has their own music taste :biggrin:

There are incorrect answers like:

Original post by TomWas'Ere2015
not british, but...

mastodon and red fang

Or anyone saying the Beatles (awful, awful band)

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Maccabees and Foals
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did answer the question before, just said that in reply to someone who said that all they had looked at was good.. Just my tuppence worth
Original post by mickel_w
I still am :P

All of you saying Smiths and Joy division, they're my 2 faves too :tongue:

That makes you awesome :tongue:

2 great bands.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you honestly believe that? I'm not even a big Beatles fan, tbh I've given many of their albums multiple listens and they don't do anything for me at all, but I can appreciate them and acknowledge their impact.

Why do you think they are awful?
Original post by Wilfred Little
Do you honestly believe that? I'm not even a big Beatles fan, tbh I've given many of their albums multiple listens and they don't do anything for me at all, but I can appreciate them and acknowledge their impact.

Why do you think they are awful?

The lyrics are pretty feeble (Day In The Life gets held up as one of their best bits of work and reads like a 5 year olds diary) and the chord range is pretty much nothing to shout home about, perhaps slightly more complex than punk at best. I'm of the firm opinion that the beatles were the one direction of their day: utter tripe marketed well.
Oasis,Stone Roses,Pink Floyd and the Smiths
The lyrics are pretty feeble (Day In The Life gets held up as one of their best bits of work and reads like a 5 year olds diary) and the chord range is pretty much nothing to shout home about, perhaps slightly more complex than punk at best. I'm of the firm opinion that the beatles were the one direction of their day: utter tripe marketed well.

Yeah suppose that last bit is right. The nostalgia glasses come out a lot with music/the Beatles as well.

Whenever I've listened to them they just sound vanilla for the most part. There is one track I really love (In My Life) and that's it. I've put a lot of time and effort into listening to them as well cos I don't want to be that dick that just ****s on something cos it's popular.

Still though wouldn't say they were awful.
No love for the Clash? :love:
Original post by Wilfred Little
Yeah suppose that last bit is right. The nostalgia glasses come out a lot with music/the Beatles as well.

Whenever I've listened to them they just sound vanilla for the most part. There is one track I really love (In My Life) and that's it. I've put a lot of time and effort into listening to them as well cos I don't want to be that dick that just ****s on something cos it's popular.

Still though wouldn't say they were awful.

Awful is more an exaggerated reaction to me being fed up of the fawning over them, but in terms of ability they were pretty bad: Lennon could hardly play, Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the beatles - certainly not fit to lace Bonham or Moons boots, Harrison was ok, but it says a lot that the best guitar line in his history has Eric Clapton playing it, not him. McCartney was ok but nothing special.

They were a mediocre to poor band in terms of playing and song writing. As for their influence - I don't buy it at all, not on a musical level: You trace the line of rock back you hit the likes of Chuck Berry and Elvis. Follow metal back you go through the likes of Led Zep and Arthur Brown back to blues rock and the likes of Robert Johnson (And given he brought the blues to the mainstream, which gave rise to everything from Jazz to Metal, he's got to be the most influential artist of all time, not the fabricated four). They didn't really break any ground as far as new music goes - even the experimental-industrial stuff like revolution 9 was already underway with the likes of The Fugs. At best they influenced the packaging, the likes of inventing the double A-side for instance - but that's a minor point and not really relevant to the sound.
Enter Shikari in my opinion :smile:
the smiths or pulp, can't chose
I just had a mini heart attack

Spoiler

Right now, I must admit Arctic Monkeys are pretty damn great.

But no on will ever beat the one and only QUEEN. Freddie Mercury was a freakin God
(edited 9 years ago)
OMG I love Years and Years, my fave song is probably King and Desire. Olly is like so awesome and he's cute too, I would have also said one direction are cool, but nah, I'm not gonna go there lol after whats happened :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by Khadijah489
OMG I love Years and Years, my fave song is probably King and Desire. Olly is like so awesome and he's cute too, I would have also said one direction are cool, but nah, I'm not gonna go there lol after whats happened :smile:

I totally agree with you on Years&Years :smile: I love all of their songs, it's just so awesome. I would advise you to listen "Traps'' if you didn't hear, amazing song :smile: I also like the new one "Worship" :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest