The Student Room Group

Psychology Work Experience

I was just wondering if anyone knows any info in regards to work experience in a psychology background? Obviously because of the nature of the work and the patient confidentiality this is probably impossible but if anyone could shed some light I would be very grateful!
Reply 1
I'm also looking for work experience relating to psychology...so far I've deduced that the most popular options are to get work placement with a psychiatrist or in a psychiatric ward which does prove quite difficult. Otherwise, becoming a buddy to someone with mental health difficulties or gaining experience in a special needs school are two options far more easily obtained than the first two :smile:

Have you tried signing up as a volunteer on do-it.org? you can list some interests and people should come into contact if you fit their criteria. If you still can't find any decent psychology-related work experience I think that just volunteering at an old people's home would do as it shows an ability to care for people and displays sympathy and/or empathy...at the end of the day I guess it's what you get from the work experience that counts rather that the place of experience :P
Reply 2
Original post by IZadi
I'm also looking for work experience relating to psychology...so far I've deduced that the most popular options are to get work placement with a psychiatrist or in a psychiatric ward which does prove quite difficult. Otherwise, becoming a buddy to someone with mental health difficulties or gaining experience in a special needs school are two options far more easily obtained than the first two :smile:

Have you tried signing up as a volunteer on do-it.org? you can list some interests and people should come into contact if you fit their criteria. If you still can't find any decent psychology-related work experience I think that just volunteering at an old people's home would do as it shows an ability to care for people and displays sympathy and/or empathy...at the end of the day I guess it's what you get from the work experience that counts rather that the place of experience :P

Thank you very much for your suggestions! A lot of your ideas seem like they could work well and I've never heard of do-it.org until now. Out of curiosity, have you actually applied for work experience or just researched relevant opportunities?

I think that i'll probably have a look for local psychiatrists in my area and register with do-it.org.

Once again, thank you very much IZadi!:smile:
Reply 3
I've applied for experience on psychiatric wards more than once, but to no avail yet...still trying :crossedf:

I did some work experience at an elderly home for Duke of Edinburgh which I actually found really cool and talking to the residents can really open your mind to different ways of thinking etc. I have put myself forward for becoming a buddy but only recently and no success on that yet. I was also part of this thing at school where I went to help with a class at a special needs school...I think it was called 5 acre? Not sure, but that was cool while it lasted

It is quite alright, I know how hard it is to find work experience at all, let alone relative and psychology-related so I'm ready to help X)

Quick Reply

Latest